UnderGround Forums

Jen >> Back from Slovakia....

5/17/07 1:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bolo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-May-07 01:17 PM

I returned a few days ago from a week long trip to Slovakia. After watching the movie "Hostile", I was expecting to get jumped by a gang of kids asking for chewing gum, but I was pleasantly surprised so find that there were no such chewing gum gangs. :) I was in Slovakia to train my brown belt, Radek Sefcik, in addition to doing a BJJ seminar for that country's Special Forces. It was interesting to find out that I was the first non-Slovakian civilian to teach this military group. The seminar went extremely well, but the funny thing was that all the Special Forces guys asked me a lot more about posture therapy and strength/conditioning training. I also did posture therapy for several of the soldiers. More wanted to do it, however, I simply didn't have the time and energy to get to everyone. My training with Radek was very interesing because a lot of my instruction for him was more in regards to the mental obstacles that hinders his training and progress, strategy, and reading his opponent. We also talked a ton about posture alignment its direct correlation to BJJ (and every aspect of martial arts). It was very eye opening for Radek to see how proper alignment was the key to structure of all technique in BJJ, especially when you are on the bottom and you need to deal with your opponent's weight. When I worked with him to refine his open guard and pin escapes, it was 100% about proper alignment of the body. The insight that Radek gain about postural alignment and it's correlation between strength, endurance, injury, and self awareness was very enlightening for him and made him re-evaluated every aspect of his training, especially this strength and conditioning. I shared with him many things I had learned and figured out, but had never really shared with many people because most people didn't really have much interest in the subject. The information I shared with him not only made sense, but I made sure he understood it by making him feel it on his own body in action when we did BJJ. He immediately felt that his understanding of alignment turbo charged every aspect of his BJJ game. Anyway, it was a great trip overall and I have other interesting stuff to tell, but I'll save it for later.
5/17/07 5:28 PM
easternfighter

Edited: 17-May-07 06:09 PM
Well, what to say here.It was once again awesome experience.After working with Bolo and with his guys in February, I expected quite good understanding of all his systems. Especially after promoted to brown belt level there.But I was dead wrong! His material is extremely deep...from fundamental perspective. I know that year after year,I am refining and working on same core stuff, but this time, it was incredible. Bolo once again raises his teaching and BJJ level on another planet:). And this all - is because of postural principles applied in BJJ - just recently.Totaly world innovative approach. Structural alignement while working pin escapes, lazy mans guard , postures, smashing pasess,...etc,. is vital aproach in all his systems.Save HUGE amount of energy, prevent injuries and turbo charges your natural strength attributes. The more I have been working with bolo, the more it seems me he reall wants to make his BJJ as much "lazy" as possible. Year after year..... Between sessions we did a lot of brainstorming and hiking too. Bolo really needs put some serious muscles on his chicked legs/ but hey - with his unique bjj approach I really do not think so:)/ So we did hiking in national reservation where are a lot of difficult routes, hight attitude, and with ladders on the way. I hope Rose will notice some gaining effect on his legs, because last day bolo was sore like hell:)after almost 1.45 hours long very FAST hiking! Anyway, I really like , that bolo enjoyed stay here, especially after seeing HOSTEL :) I and my guys /gym and military ones/ gained A LOT of extremely important info and now its time to put it on practise. More flight time bro:) Radek
5/17/07 7:52 PM
Bolo

Edited: 17-May-07
I wasn't sore from the hike, but my legs were very fatigued. The trail we went on was designed to take 4 hours total. Radek and I did it in under 2 hours. I really liked the hiking because the trail was not always clear. Sometimes we had to figure out our own way as there no defined path. Climbing those 60 foot ladders was fun and quite a workout too. The place we hiked was here: http://www.slovenskyraj.sk/en.html I couldn't believe that Radek once thought about buying a treadmill in order to run on a steep incline when he had a national park right in his backyard, literally a few minutes from his house, where he could run up a real mountain.
5/18/07 6:55 AM
easternfighter

Edited: 18-May-07
Sore or fatigues...it does not matter. Simply, it was one big kick ass workout:) Radek
5/18/07 10:12 AM
Bolo

Edited: 18-May-07 10:28 AM
Yeah, it was great workout. It was interesting to see how many of the things I did when doing obstacle course work here at home were the exact movements that were needed when moving around in nature. Slovakia was also great because their MTV actually showed music videos, unlike the US were MTV is nothing but reality shows. I finally got to see all the videos for songs that I hear on the radio all the time in the US. The funny thing seeing the Slovakian rappers though. By the way, have your students worked on the pin escapes any more?
5/18/07 1:36 PM
easternfighter

Edited: 18-May-07
Yeah, my guys + myself too:)again - have been working on pin escapes pretty hard in these days. The best thing is it works for gi, no gi and even MMA situations.It really does not matter ..... I can tell you its definitely getting much harder to sumbit them with arm sumbissions. But still , they make a lot of fundamental mystakes, as for alignement and feeling right direction of pressure....so still I can sneak some sumbissions:) Yeah, its funny like hell listen and watch these slovakian rappers...???

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.