UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Salvage Title??

5/24/07 4:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
coach
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-May-07

Please educate me on buying used cars/trucks with salvage titles... Specifically: A vehicle looks great, but how do you check for bent frames, or other damages which may not be visible?
5/25/07 10:49 AM
sepe

Edited: 25-May-07
should be able to measure(roughly) corner to corner against frame specs.
5/25/07 11:52 AM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-May-07 11:57 AM
Salvage titles are usually more trouble than they are worth. Resale is poor (which is why you see that attractive low price) and questions are many. You've got worries about the damages. Was it structural? Was it a theft recovery? Was is a lot of expensive body work? The owner is often not very forthcoming about the type or extent of the damage. Then you've got worries about repairs. Was is done professionally? Was it done right? Frame may have been straightened but not repaired/braced properly. New body panels might be made to fit but not attached right. (fit/finish, rattles, flying off on the freeway.)Bumpers and other impact zones may not be structurally safe like they were stock. If its a theft recovery and was stripped you can have all sorts of electrical problems and gremlins. Really I'd steer clear unless you're very sure of the work done and very sure you're not gonna re-sell any time soon.
5/25/07 1:32 PM
coach

Edited: 26-May-07 11:55 AM
Thanks... I was looking at a used 2005 Nissan Frontier. The owner revealed it has a slavaged title, but claimed he was a certified mechanic, and did the body work himself. He said that the car had been hit on the passenger side door. It looked like he did a great job on the repairs. But my thought is, the truck is a 2005 with only 18k mi... It must have been a significant collision to have been totaled. I've looked on to other trucks, but the Frontier had a cheap price, and looked new.
5/26/07 11:24 AM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-May-07
Yeah, to be issued a salvage title means the repair costs are signficant enough that an adjuster declared the vehicle totalled. Definately a smart move to walk away from a self repair job like that.
5/29/07 9:50 AM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-May-07
Who knows.......maybe he stole the same model and color and switched over the pieces of the car that contained the identification. It is possible the car in question has never been hit.......just stolen.
5/30/07 3:23 PM
coach

Edited: 30-May-07
I didn't get the vibe that it was stolen, or a police/government seized vehicle, but your right, it could have been switched title. Unlikely doh... it's just a truck, not a Viper or Corvette.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.