UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> How good is a Finance degree?

6/3/07 3:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KillaBrew
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Jun-07

I'm not so concerned as from where I'm getting it. Just a four year Finance degree.
6/14/07 7:25 AM
AaronU

Edited: 14-Jun-07
Where you're getting it is just as important as what it is. If you go to a good school and have a good GPA, you can make it regardless of your major. That said, finance is a good major, because you learn a technical skill that is valuable. I personally majored in accounting mostly due to the fact that I had a finance professor (who is loaded I might add) suggest to me to major in accounting over finance. I would suggest your best bet is to double major or to major in accounting and minor in finance.
6/15/07 1:53 PM
TheRealJoker
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jun-07
How do you feel about Finance/Economics double majors Aaron?
6/16/07 7:16 PM
AaronU

Edited: 16-Jun-07
I think economics is a good background to have for law school, grad school, or the general business world, but a undergraduate degree in economics won't really take you far (for the most part, of course there are exceptions). With a finance background in addition, I think it would make a great major. It depends though, what do you want to do?
6/16/07 10:34 PM
TheRealJoker
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Jun-07
Im leaning towards trading or Investment banking at the moment.
6/21/07 2:18 PM
AaronU

Edited: 21-Jun-07
If that's what you want to do, I would say Major in finance, but dabble in accounting as much as you can. Where are you going to school? You know it's really hard to break into investment banking, and once you do, you're working 80 hour weeks all the time?
6/21/07 6:06 PM
TheRealJoker

Edited: 21-Jun-07

Im at my local community college ( Montgomery ) at the moment and am gonna transfer hopefully to  UT-Austin in fall 08. Im still looking at schools, but I like UT-Austin the most and as a backup UTD.

6/22/07 5:07 PM
AaronU

Edited: 22-Jun-07
UT-Austin has a good undergraduate business school. I don't think becoming a trader is as hard as an I-banker. If you want to be an I-banker, you should probably at least have a 3.5 GPA. Also, start work NOW on padding your resume with clubs, internships, awards, volunteer work, etc. etc. Try to get a leadership experience because every job interview you have, they will ask you about some time you were a leader.
4/5/08 10:41 AM
Krispy

Edited: Apr 5 2008 12:00A
ttt
4/6/08 2:49 AM
Polaris

Edited: Apr 6 2008 12:00A
Haha...I was majoring in Finance (then I realized I hated it) and I just switched to Management and Organizations.

It might be harder for me to find a job now...
6/15/08 5:39 PM
Scut Farkus

In SoCal, Accounting BA > Finance BA (Unless the finance BA is from UCLA or SC)
6/19/08 10:34 AM
Lou Dukes

Scut Farkus - In SoCal, Accounting BA > Finance BA (Unless the finance BA is from UCLA or SC)

Accounting BA/BA is always greater then Finance BA/BS; there are just way more accounting jobs throughout the country.
6/19/08 10:40 AM
Lou Dukes

TheRealJoker - How do you feel about Finance/Economics double majors Aaron?

I went this route and got the BS in Finance/Economics. It was tough as I had a big course load my last 3 years.

If you want to go corporate finance, which is the path I took, I thinks this is a good way. But at the same time a BS in Accounting could have worked just the same.

If you plan to get into Trading or Investment Banking hit the books hard and try to get in a top MBA program. It will open many more doors. Good Luck.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.