UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Anyone a UTDallas alum?

6/7/07 5:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheRealJoker
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Jun-07

If so, what can you tell me about the school? They came to a college fair at my school and came off as the best fit for me from the school's in attendance for the major we discussed (Finance).
6/7/07 6:37 PM
FiatLux
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wait, so in 5 days you went from looking at the top schools in the nation to UT Dallas?
6/7/07 8:40 PM
TheRealJoker
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was interested in seeing which schools were tops for certain majors. UTDallas seems to be a respected school according to alumni on the OG and from what the admissions counselor was telling me. Im not transferring until Fall 08 so im just trying to gather as much information about as many schools as I can to see which is the right fit. Is there something wrong with that?
6/8/07 2:09 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 08-Jun-07
Nothing is "wrong" with that certainly. However it is ironic that on your other thread you seemed to be looking for highly ranked nationally know programs (the best of the best). Then just days later, you seemingly settle on UT Dallas... Having spent some time in the area I can truthfully say that no one thinks UT Dallas is a better school than TCU or SMU, at anything (and that's not even leaving the metro-plex). Why even bother talking about rankings at this rate? I can only imagine what you'll be thinking next week when the people from Kilgore, UT Tyler, and UH Cinco Ranch stop by.
6/8/07 11:37 AM
TheRealJoker

I said that out of the schools that came to my fair they came off as the best. The top schools didn't come to my college fair. UH,UTD, SFA, SHSU, LSU, and A&M-Corpus Christi did. Out of those schools I would pick UTD. Is it a bad thing to have a list of schools to go to? As the year goes on im hoping to have a list of about 10 schools that i'd like to attend and will send apps to all of them and then attend the one that has a combination of highest ranking/scholarship offered/best fit personally for me. Is that okay with you?
6/8/07 8:59 PM
FiatLux

Yes that's fine with me. I seriously thought you were looking at Ivy League schools when you asked for top rankings. I thought that was interesting because almost no one transfers from a CC or junior college to a private school (much less an Ivy). Now this exercise just seems a bit meretricious. It?s impossible to believe that you actually wanted real advice considering your attitude and the scope of your search.
6/8/07 11:36 PM
TheRealJoker

Thanks for your advice.

6/15/07 1:52 PM
TheRealJoker

Edited: 15-Jun-07 01:57 PM
Thanks Vector, I would have to say that the # 1 school on my list would be UT Austin for sure then it gets muddled after that. Over the last couple of days i've been reading about Study Abroad programs or out of state universities. Depending on whether or not I can get an academic scholarship would probably be the make or break point on those but im really interested in living and studying out of state or out of country just for the life experience.
6/16/07 11:51 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 16-Jun-07
"FiatLux, try again. I attended a HS that also included a JUCO and we definitely had and continue to have JUCO students that transfer from there to Ivy League school. I'm sure this is not the norm for JUCOs but there are always exceptions." I've seen stats from California that show only about 10-12% of JC and CC students go on to any private 4-year schools. Your situation however uplifting is ultimately atypical I'm sorry to say.
9/10/07 1:04 AM
RawCat

Edited: 10-Sep-07
It's a commuter school. A lot of UTDallas people where I work. I can tell you they are not the most educated students that come straight out of college. I'm not bashing them, they are typically good employees, just don't know their shit like UT or A&M.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.