UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Roman Legions,Centurions & SPEAR

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tony Blauer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.

:-) Thank you, T. Torres. Guys like you are the real assets to my system... Why? Because Ive always maintained that the real value of any method lies in its ability to be transferred to the student...[who cares how well I can do it if no one else can!!] 1. You came to the Instructor Developement program. 2. You immersed yourself in the research enabling you to articulate it to your dept. and to help in expert testimony. 3. You recognized the value of the system despite your own extensive martial background. 4. You learned the SPEAR and how to teach well enough that an individual with extensive real world combat experiece was able to grasp the SPEAR's simplicity and use it despite years of muscle-memory training. In reality, his SPEAR was 'third' generation insight...Me to you, you to him - and the SPEAR still rocked the dirtbag's world! See you at the SPEAR session in Florida and keep up the great work. Tony
Tom Campbell

GREAT JOB!.... TONY'S PEACE, TOM
truart

Hi All! When I got home last night there was a message on my answering machine. It was from Jason, my good friend, Virginia Beach police officer, and also one of my students. His voice had an urgency to it and he insisted that I call him right away. When I spoke to him his first words were, "Tony, I used the SPEAR!....just like in training!..." I asked him to describe the incident. He and his partner responded to an assist rescue call where a 53 year old male was chasing the rescue workers with a cane. He told me that because of the description he and his partner were under-estimating what they encountered when they arrived on scene. Instead of a frail old man they found themselves facing a 6' 2" 220 lbs 53 year old biker that would not let the rescue workers tend to his injured wife. "I started talking to him to calm him down and getting closer... closing the gap....just like we practiced!" he said. The subject still would not let the EMT's or the officers through. " It was amazing,...he took a glance at Clay then at me and he tensed up and sure enough, here came the big right hand....like in the drill...and I flinched and SPEARed.... it happened just like that!" He continued to tell me how he had a "murphy moment" because the SPEAR hit the suspect on the "wrong" side and part of his hand made contact with the supect's face. I explained to him that this was merely less desirable and not "wrong". He then explained how he followed through with the movement causing the suspect to hit a wall and he was able to use the bounce momentum to take the suspect down and handcuff him. He received compliments and thanks for handling the situation so quickly and efficiently from his partner Clay and the Sergeant present at the scene (a former SWAT operator). The conversation went on but one sentence was repeated or paraphrased about 15 more times..."Just like in training!!" he continualy said. What makes this particular SPEAR usage exceptional is that my friend Jason wrestled for 12 years while he was in school, he is a 12 year veteran US Marine Corps Force Recon operator and instructor who has been in several dozen "hot" operations world wide. He has several thousand hours of "mat time" and several hundred hours of hand to hand combat instruction under his belt. Total SPEAR specific training time.... 8 hours! Jason told me he didnt use a double leg take down or arm drag or block to chop to throw or any of his extensive LINE training. He flinched and SPEARed....thats what came out when the fight was on. His honesty in sharing this with me is commendable, and his enthusiasm for the SPEAR system should be an example to any doubters. This incident reminds me of the quote Tony B. uses all the time... "Training should be like a bloodless battle so battle can be just bloody training." Thanks to Tony Blauer's thoroughly researched training methods, drills, and tactics another officer goes home unscathed and another felon loses his freedom. Thank you coach, you done it again! Tony Torres Va Beach,VA PS We are replicating the incident tomorrow in class to see if we can get more desireable 8-) Peace! T.T.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.