UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> Team SBG fight results from Sat

6/11/07 2:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Jun-07 02:34 PM

Here is a note from Tom Oberhue: SBG Portland went 3 - 1 - 1 at the Roseland. Rick Davison, Bill Bradley, and Tom Matijacic won their fights. James Davis received a split draw (which was a poor call - James dominated his opponent). John Diggins fought a brutally tough match and lost via unanimous descions. Matijacic had one of the most impressive knockouts the crowd had ever seen at the Roseland. It was amazing. To add to my 2 cents to that: Rick Davison had an impressive debut in the cage. He dominated both 5 minute rounds, and dropped into a solid armbar from mount in the last few seconds of the first round. He popped his opponents, but the guy wouldnt tap. Great fight. James Davis fought next, and clearly won both rounds decisively. He scored multiple takedowns, had mount on several occasions, and threw some bombs from top. Both Brian and I were stunned when the score cards came back. . .two draws and one win for James. It was should have been a clear decision. Instead they called it a "split draw" a term I have never heard of. Regardless, I consider this another win for James, putting him at 4-0 now. Bill's fight was one of the most impressive of the night. He literally put on a Jits clinic, scoring multiple sweeps, excellent guard passing and transitions, and finishing with a RNC within a few minutes of the first round. Great fight! John Diggins was coming into the cage fresh off his win via submission last Month at the show in Pendelton OR. His opponent, Dominic Fredickson had an impressive take down and G n P game and went straight at John. John re injured his ribs within the first minute of the fight, and had a very hard time moving his hips. We asked him between rounds if he wanted to quit, but he wanted to finish out the fight. He kept Dominic in his guard for the remainder of the fight, and lost a decision. I dont want to take anything away from Dominic's victory, he came prepared to go and put on a great fight. But John showed a lot of heart finishing out that match, he is a tough athlete. The main event was SBG's Tom Matijacic vs Josh Downing, for the light heavyweight title. Tom's game has taken a few giant leaps in the last couple Months, and he walked into the cage looking for a KO. He accomplished that within the first few seconds of the first round, leaving his opponent flat on the mat for several minutes. I was actually a bit concerned, but the medics said he would be fine. . .just didnt know where he was quite yet. This puts Tom at 3-1-0 and gave him the belt. Awesome job. I was proud of all our athletes, they put a lot of work into these fights and it showed. A big thanks is due to our resident boxing coach phenom Brain Walsh, who was been helping our Team develop a stand up game that focuses on specificly on movement and uses one on one drilling and coaching methods that are second to none. Also big thanks to Travis Davison. Travis was working in with the guys at Team practice when I was there and was a great body for them. And on the week when I was absent he also ran some great team practices. Both Travis and Brian play a huge role in helping the Team prepare. Also thanks to Karl who spent some time with the guys when he was here, and whose conditioning, warm up, and pre fight procedures we have been using. There will be more fights in the coming weeks, so time to go back to work Wednesday. Also, congrats to the Beaverton Gym, they also had three fighters, Pro Escobedo, David Quinton and Daryl Cutler. . .all three won impressivley. www.straightblastgym.com
6/11/07 4:06 PM
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Jun-07
Congrats:)
7/19/07 8:22 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Jul-07

Fight Night Pics. . .

Stay tuned as Toshi, Rick and Tom will be fighting again this Saturday the 21st. Karl will also be backstage with the Team as Tom defends his new title.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.