UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> SPEAR

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Marcos Castro
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02

Tony, I agree about the SPEAR is a great tool/tactic of self defense. Maybe, one of the best I ever saw. But I have one question about it: altough there are a few excercises to develop perception speed, the SPEAR needs a lot of reflexes to be executed properly, or not? I mean I have a few training partners that when we are sparring and they eat a punch, they tell me that they saw it coming but their body didnt respond quickly enough. I guess it´s a reflexes problem, isnt it? And I guess with the SPEAR is similar: you would see the attack coming but if you dont have the reflexes to change your flinch from the primitive flinch (to turn you head apart), to a better flinch (putting your forearms properly, etc etc etc), something bad could happen. Can a person who is 70 perform a proper SPEAR? And if it´s a training problem, how much time do you need to practice the SPEAR to be prepared to use it safely and the right way in a real situation? Respectfully Marcos Castro
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Marcos, Survival reflexes are gentically wired. You cannot have fast or slow ones per se - your muscle twitch fibres may influence raw speed, but ones reflexes [on a survival level] are brilliantly fast. Your confusion is that you are trying to evaluate genetic/survival speed during a 'sportive' training session....that's near impossible to do, like me saying: "Get ready to be surprised" While I cant maybe startle you a bit [depending on what I do - its no surprise in that I announced my intention] So to try to maker a pure SPEAR occur in training misses the point and only a person well trained in our PDR or SPEAR curriclumn really understand the subtelties of the drill that allow you to train & convert the startle/flinch moment. [Read ROMAN LEGION & SPEAR thread]. Further, if you are 'boxing sparring' the reticular cortex in the brain is looking for boxing type movement to assess and address all combative problems, the SPEAR does not blend into that equation at that level. [Though there are many applications for it in MMA once the SPEAR is understood on a tactical level.] Re your quesiton about age: if a person can move without the aid of a cane or walker etc then they can perform a SPEAR [obviously there are limitations with regard to speed, intensity and mobility as one gets older. I strongly urge you to save up for some more videos on the SPEAR - you have the fundamnetals tapes so review those a lot more and to really understand perception speed drills & concpets look intO RAGE ATTACKS. Good luck, Tony
bremc

Ins't "proper" hand position, center line, opponent relative position and punch initiation point relevant? Am I being to analytical?
Tony Blauer

Marcos, I think part of the probelm is language and how literally you may take to an example. In your quesiton #1 you say I never say let anyone get in a stance...well that's out fo context and clearly not feasible [as a rule]. Its more of a message that contends that: "almost all other systems, ADVOCATE adopting a stance when getting ready to fight and therefore, by default will permit an opponent to get into a stance too [first or in response to their action]" You need to discern the message, the philosophy rather than imitate the action. As for question #2: Same probelm and a bit of a repeat from the first series. You cant be in a NVP and have someone throw a trained punch and have it penetrate UNLESS you either: a. allowed them to lock & load their attack [and this is what the SPEAR is all about intercepting or deflecting. b. You be jumping speeds or intensity without the behaviours being congruous. In other words, you sound like you were doing one step sparring with NVP vs. MA stance. That's a no win. If the opponent has gone 'active' and the fight is on the NVP is only used to distance or line-up, but its not an ideal combative postion once the fight is on. You need to blend the PSEAR, the NVP and the Science of the SUcker Punch principles and if there is no scenario or objective during a drill there can be no measurement of effectiveness. Tony
Tony Blauer

bremc: No you are not being too analytical, theres a lot of intuitive math & physics in fighting, those that cant develop intuitive deductions get hit more. :-) T
Marcos Castro

Tony, Thank you for your answer. I agree with you. I guess my mistake was I am trying to evaluate genetic/survival speed during a 'sportive' training session. And reviewing the SPEAR fundamentals tapes, I have two more questions: 1) You say "dont get people get a stance". Now, I agree when you give the example of the holster and the gun, to not let the oponent put his hand over the gun, cause your reaction time wont be enough, so it´s better to knock him out at that moment. But about the stance (I visualizing an unarmed on guard stance), were you meaning the same? you mean we should be knocking a guy out if he gets into an on guard stance? You know that a lot of people, when they get really angry, they use to get a stance and invite you to fight. You think at that moment, there´s no way back? 2) About the NVP and the SPEAR, you say that no one will go through your hands if you are in a NVP, so everybody will go around your hands, giving you the hole to go forward and/or put your forearms. But, I´m not really sure if NO ONE wont go straight. A person who has some training in traditional martial arts are very use to throw linear punches. And yesterday, practicing with my training partner, he was in a NVP and I just throw a linear punch that travel through his hands and impact right on his nose. Of course, I know you got a lot lot more experience on this than me, so that´s the reason of my answer. I believe your system is awesome, and I´m really learning a lot from it. Dont believe I´m just trying to critic your system, actually, I´m trying clear my doubts to learn even more from it, because I´m sure you have the answers and when I watch a video tape, I cant ask you this questions at that moment, :-) Always respectfull, Marcos Castro

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.