UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> How much study do you do a day?

6/17/07 10:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
petrochemical
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Jun-07

Just interested to know what everyone else does. For me, the target is 6 hours. In reality I manage maybe 4 or 5, in 45 min sessions, max. Loads of that time is wasted by distractions, or concentrating on irrelevant parts, or inefficient learning etc. Some days I do a grand total of fuck all, probably.
6/19/07 3:24 AM
Jonwell
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Jun-07
Not nearly enough... that's always been my problem.
6/21/07 6:05 PM
TheRealJoker
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Jun-07

Kbits and I share the same study habits  :- )

6/26/07 6:17 AM
D3structo
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Jun-07
I'm not really sure how much I study but I just started doing my studying in 45 min sessions and it really seems to be a lot more productive for me. I've never really had very good study habits but breaking it down to 45 mins sessions really helps me focus.
7/2/07 11:24 PM
Zoso
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jul-07
I have never been a studier. You guys are talking hours per day. I will say maybe 1 HOUR per week. Basically if I go to class and take notes I just remember stuff...like a lot of stuff.
7/3/07 9:59 AM
Ted Bennett
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Jul-07 10:05 AM
I just started doing my studying in 45 min sessions and it really seems to be a lot more productive for me.

I've never really had very good study habits but breaking it down to 45 mins sessions really helps me focus.

Basic psychology - learning info in chunks is much more efficient.

Case in point - if I ask you to memorize a ten digit number that I spit at you at the rate of one number per second, many if not most folks will have difficulty getting it exactly right. Break it up into 3 chunks of numbers (say 3 then 3 then four), and it's much easier to remember. This is one reason why phone numbers are broken up like they are, not to mention license plates (e.g., it's easier for a cop to remember it if it's two groups of 3 or 4 numbers rather than one big group of 6 or 7).

Basic memory research says you remember well for about 15-20 minutes at the beginning of a study session (the primacy effect), plus you remember the last 15-20 minutes (the recency effect). If you study for 45 minutes and then take a break, your brain will consolidate a lot of info with great efficiency. If you study for 5 hours straight, yeah, you can brute-force it, but a HUGE chunk of material in the middle of the session will be less well learned. More complex research suggests that it's a decreasing percentage of of primacy and recency (e.g., if you study for 1 hour, you'll do well for for the first and last 20 minutes, while if you study for 4 hours, you'll do well for the first and last hour, a lower percentage of info retained overall).

Now, if you're cramming for a goofy history final, and you can purge that knowledge and never need it again, fine, go ahead and cram for 6 hours. If you try that for med school or law school, good luck - I hope you have a *lot* of cognitive horsepower, because you're really stacking the deck against yourself, esp. if it's something that you will have need of in future work.

Think of it like weightlifting - does it make more sense to do it in intense bursts, or to just keep going and going and going, etc. If you just keep going, at some point you really are just spinning your wheels...

7/3/07 12:29 PM
Jonwell
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Jul-07
"I have never been a studier. You guys are talking hours per day. I will say maybe 1 HOUR per week. Basically if I go to class and take notes I just remember stuff...like a lot of stuff." That used to work for me until I started taking harder classes :P Good info Ted
7/6/07 8:40 PM
Zoso
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Jul-07
Well it worked for me. I got a degree in accounting in 3.5 years. Only class I ever really struggled with were my math classes. Just a different beast all together. Probably part of my study habits were working full time as well. Class from say 8-2. Work from 3-11. INternet, sleep, school, work. Basically how it went for 3.5 years of college. Somehow after 18 hour days for so long I feel more tired now than I did then getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night.
7/7/07 4:39 AM
Jonwell

Edited: 07-Jul-07
Ya I have to study for math, else I'm toast at this level. I could never work full time and go to school tho, I'd fuck it up.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.