UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Physical therapy major

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

6/19/07 6:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ricky T
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Jun-07

Any info on how difficult to get to a grad school for this major? Does being an ex-college track athlete help as far as getting volunteer work or work in this field?
12/30/07 1:07 PM
eRiC 75
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Dec-07
A lot of the schools I looked at required courses such as A&P 1&2, Chem, Physics and Bio as prerequisites. Grades were at least 3.0 for consideration. Hands on experience will be a plus, I don't know how well athletic participation will be considered (I guess it depends on the school). I know a lot of outpatient facilities, hospitals, nursing homes etc. look for people to work as aides. You help setting up equipment and working with the PT's and PTA's. It provides good experience and will help you decide if it's something you really want to pursue. Kbits is right, APTA is eventually going to require PT's to get there doctorate.
1/1/08 5:35 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 01-Jan-08
"A lot of the schools I looked at required courses such as A&P 1&2, Chem, Physics and Bio as prerequisites." It goes without saying that many if not most of your science courses should have been ones with labs. It's hard to say what might happen if you apply not having a science background. Things really depend on what the schools are looking for background wise, and how many students they take a year. If you're willing to live anywhere, move anywhere, and paid 85% or more of your tuition, then there almost certainly is a place to go. "Does being an ex-college track athlete help as far as getting volunteer work or work in this field?" Not knowing the details of your college track days, I would say it's hard to imagine a situation where this experience would significantly impact your viability as a volunteer or alter the duties you could be given. However, if you had a background like Roger Bannister it could make a difference... One problem with volunteering is that you won't know enough (in a formal sense) to do very much. You can probably find a place that will let you get ice for people and show patients how to lift 1lbs weights.
8/5/08 12:04 PM
shen
1354 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ricky T - Any info on how difficult to get to a grad school for this major? Does being an ex-college track athlete help as far as getting volunteer work or work in this field?

For Althletic Training/sports Med? yes.

For Physical Therapy? Probably no.
12/10/08 10:41 AM
Briscoe
319 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt... not to hijack the thread, but what about PTA as a major?
8/3/09 3:44 PM
stat46

You don't need a bachelor's to be a PTA. Most only require an Associate's.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.