UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Tyee club - any members?

6/20/07 4:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jbc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jun-07

Chinook (King) salmon over 30 lbs? It's a point of pride locally. I was wondering what similar kinds of 'clubs' existed elsewhere. Yes, I'm a member. I've caught a few, in fact.
6/24/07 11:36 PM
JackFunk
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Jun-07
Don't you have to catch on a single action reel, in a man powered craft? (rowboat) where are you at jbc?
6/26/07 11:19 AM
jbc

Edited: 26-Jun-07
I'm in BC. You're probably thinking of Painter's Lodge, where they have the 'pin' for people who catch their tyee on a lure (usually a spoon or plug, not bait) from a rowboat - near Seymour Narrows. That's the classic definition and 'original' version. Myself, I'm happy with bait and power. I will, however, only use single action reels.
6/26/07 10:54 PM
Crazyhook

Edited: 26-Jun-07
30 pound king is a great fish,.loads of power.. 21 is my best so far, do not fish for them much, its been a few years
6/27/07 6:38 AM
jscorbett
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Jun-07
Wow. Congrats.
6/27/07 11:39 AM
jbc

Edited: 27-Jun-07
Although I think coho salmon (and equivalently steelhead) have more pound-for-pound power and acrobatic excitement... there is something special about the big springs and their 100+ yard runs and head shakes. A screaming single action reel is pure music. My biggest so far is 54lbs 6oz. It's just about 'that time of year' on the coast, so I'll be over on the (Vancouver) island in the next couple of weeks. I'm already chomping at the bit.
6/30/07 6:10 AM
JackFunk
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Jun-07
jbc, I am down in Van, have taken one spring out of the Capilano this year. The Vedder river will open for Red Springs on July 1, so I may have to dust off my bigger reel for Canada Day! do you fish with a Centerpin?
7/3/07 5:59 PM
jbc

Edited: 03-Jul-07
Hey Jack: I'm in Burnaby. You're right, Vedder is open now - water level still pretty high. Most salmon fishing I've done has been trolling in a boat with mooching reels. Other than that, it's mostly fly fishing. Haven't 'chucked much junk' except with friends and their gear. I have a hard time getting enthused for the elbow-to-elbow shenanigans of the Fraser and Vedder. I've tried a centerpin (a buddy has a gorgeous Islander/Sage setup on the Gold River (Vancouver Island). The first day was an embarrassment, the second day I started to figure it out. Not easy. Spey casting was a cakewalk in comparison.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.