UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Brown Basilisk

6/25/07 11:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Axl_Rose
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Jun-07

Hay guys. . . Okay, so I always wondered why we had this subforum and finally found a reason to appreciate all the information here! Anyway, wife-to-be is interested in getting a reptile for us sometime soon. I figured some lizards would be interesting so I checked a few local pet stores to see what was lurking about. On the shelf below the Bearded Dragon family was a creature labelled as a "Striped Dragon". It was quite tame, cheaper, friendly and according to the sales clerks, pretty much ignored by customers. I looked all over the internet for these "Striped Dragons" only to find that the closest thing to it appared to be a Brown Basilisk. I'm assuming it was female, because it had no crest or plumage. Long and short, what do you Herpers know about these guys?
6/26/07 4:30 AM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Jun-07
So is this your first reptile? If it's a basilisk you might be better suited getting something like a bearded dragon or leopard gecko. Both make much better captives especially since they tend to be much more tolerant of keeper mistakes. Basilisks can be great pets but every one I've seen has been quite skittish & flighty. I would be hesitant to put too much stock into how something acts at a store as the conditions are rarely ideal (or even adequate). This can lead to something that may appear quite "tame" while there but when you get it home & under proper heat & conditions suddenly wonder why your new pet is an unholy terror.
6/26/07 4:31 AM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Jun-07
All that said you certainly with some effort & research should be able to easily care for a brown basilisk if you really have your hearts set on it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.