UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> USA vs Argentina on TV in USA?

6/28/07 6:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
stinkman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Jun-07 07:15 PM

I have DIRECTV and have only seen it scheduled on channels 426 (spanish), 431 (spanish), and 614 (also spanish I think). I don't have any of those channels and I was not able to find it anywhere else. Anyone else know if it is on another channel I may have missed? Or maybe a website streaming the match? English preferred. Thanks. I hate always trying to find the U.S. National team matches, damned near impossible somtimes.
6/28/07 8:53 PM
grizz632
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Jun-07
614 is Gol TV, which usually broadcasts games in English. They have commercials in Spanish and the description on the guide is in Spanish but I believe they will have English commentary
6/28/07 8:55 PM
grizz632
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just switched it on and the Gol TV broadcast not only is in English, but has commentary from everyones favorite Geordie, the great Ray Hudson!
6/28/07 9:11 PM
Govnor

I'm streaming it via

http://www.allp2ptv.com/tvguide.php?channel=CCTV5&year=2007&month=6&date=29

you have to have tvants or sopcast etc.

Yanks are holding their own so far.
6/28/07 9:37 PM
Govnor

Messi looks like a drug addict.
6/28/07 9:39 PM
grizz632

Maybe Messi really is the next Maradona then Good first half from the US. Benny Feilhaber is damn impressive
6/28/07 10:40 PM
Takedown
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Jun-07 10:47 PM
It's on Channel 46 on Direct TV 4-1 Argentina...ouch. Argentina executed their game plan and played a fantastic match. I think after goal #2, the U.S.'s spirt was broken. Awesome though to see Hercules get in the match!
6/28/07 10:46 PM
grizz632

The US played well, the scoreline is very deceiving. Lots of players had great showings, including Feilhaber, DeMerit, and Conrad. That said, I would be very happy to never see Keller or Twellman capped again And great to see Hercules get his cap, hopefully he can get more of a look in the next game, maybe starting instead of Twellman
6/28/07 10:59 PM
Govnor

Keller did not look stellar.
6/28/07 11:05 PM
stinkman

Thanks for the info. As far as the game went I don't think the U.S. played very well at all. They were disorganized, timid, and outclassed. They were clearly playing for a draw at the start of the second half and it was only a matter of time before Argentina's constant possession and continuous pressure turned in to the lopsided loss that it eventually did. I understand they wanted to take a young team down there to gain experience but they could have set up friendlies to do that rather than getting thumped in a continental tournament.
6/28/07 11:24 PM
grizz632

"They were disorganized, timid, and outclassed." Most of the second half, yes they were. I think they had a great gameplan in the first half and really played well. Once Argentina took the lead however, they were done
6/29/07 2:44 AM
Takedown
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jun-07
"I understand they wanted to take a young team down there to gain experience but they could have set up friendlies to do that rather than getting thumped in a continental tournament." Good point. A tournament like Copa America isn't exactly the type of place you want to run "trial and error" simulations on the pitch with players who have little to no international experience. Still, Bradley's the coach and made the best game plan possible. Leaves me wondering though, how would Klingsman have prepared for both of these tournaments...oh well, another discussion for another time. I'm surprised they didn't resurrect the ancient Italian Catenacio with as much defense as they played tonight.
6/29/07 12:06 PM
grizz632

I think the blame is about 50/50 between the defenders and Keller. I thought Jimmy Conrad and DeMerit made alot of great plays, but they completely fell asleep on that Aimar header. And if you're going to go with a young squad AND not include Howard, then why include Keller at all? Especially considering how shaky he looked in the Gold Cup. If you really want to give other players a chance, then let Guzon, Perkins, or even Cannon play. Kasey Keller will never retire gracefully like Freidel did. He's not their best option anymore and I'm not sure he can perform consistantly at the international level. He will need to be dropped, but Bradley doesn't seem to see that
6/29/07 1:06 PM
Govnor

Keller looked terrible guys, hard to say that the Argies wouldn't have scored that many any way, but he should have gotten more on that first "punch" and his positioning for the Crespo goal was way off.

The States did well for the most part. But they just ran out of ideas/steam in the 2nd half and once they were behind, you could tell they knew the game was lost.
6/29/07 2:25 PM
stinkman

"A tournament like Copa America isn't exactly the type of place you want to run "trial and error" simulations on the pitch with players who have little to no international experience." Exactly. This tournament would have been the perfect opportunity to have been used as a litmus test to see where a full strength team USA was at. I guess Bradley feels winning the Gold Cup showed how good they were. Wrong! Sorry, we have been beating Mexico and others for years now in Concacaf only to get whipped and embarrassed in just about any other major tournament outside of Concacaf. He should have went down there with a full team or declined the invitation to begin with. If he had gone down there with a full strength squad he could have used this tounament to cut dead weight players now (ex. Keller)who have lost a step and developed replacement players over the next three years in prep for South Africa. Sorry for the rant, but Team USA should be better than they are by now and they have had enough time to get over the hump.
6/29/07 2:28 PM
Govnor

I wondered about this....Copa America should have been their priority IMO. You only get better by playing the best.
6/29/07 4:36 PM
grizz632

You're both right. The US has been notorious for never scheduling difficult opposition, and the few times they do it's always at home. this tournament could have shown how they could handle playing world class competition in an extremely hostile environment. But they'd rather win at home and have an excuse for losing to top teams This squad could have easily won the Gold Cup, but it will not go nearly as far in the Copa America as the full strength squad could have
6/29/07 7:47 PM
Takedown

They're actually playing Sweden in August, which should prove to be a very good friendly for them. After that, they've got Catalonia and Switzerland. I don't know that Catalonia is top-tier competition, but the Swiss will provide for some good opposition. I'd like to see them play even more difficult opponents in Europe and S. America though.
6/29/07 8:21 PM
stinkman

"They're actually playing Sweden in August, which should prove to be a very good friendly for them. After that, they've got Catalonia and Switzerland. I don't know that Catalonia is top-tier competition, but the Swiss will provide for some good opposition." The thing about the Copa America was that the competition would have been better than what they had seen since the World Cup, and maybe the best they will have seen for the next 2 years. The South American teams are in it to win it and for the most part, have their best national teams assembled to compete in that tournament. Friendlies are nice, but they are not the same level of competition obviously as they could have gotten in South America. In a friendly, there is a good chance you will NOT be competing against the opponent's full "A" team and therefore it is not a true measuring stick. I just kinda think the US lost a great opportunity sending this squad down to Copa America.
6/29/07 9:36 PM
Govnor

Friendlies are crap. Even if your team is giving 100%, it's doubtful the other team is. It's not the same as playing a meaningful game.

All the Euro teams take the Euro Championships just as seriously as the WC, I don't know if it's quite the same at the Copa (doesn't seem to be), but still the US could have  really measured their A team against teams they could end up playing at the WC.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.