UnderGround Forums

LEOGround >> Can someone explain Overtime ???

6/29/07 11:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ProMagnus
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jun-07

I have a conditional offer of employment with a PD but I really haven't got a good answer on how overtime is calculated. I hear that overtime can substantial increase a person's take home pay. Could someone be kind enough to explain how overtime works with a PD?
6/30/07 2:45 AM
Aliraps
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Jun-07
you haven't even worked one shift as a cop and you are worried about overtime? fuck man, don't bother with the job offer...we don't need guys like you
6/30/07 11:34 AM
ProMagnus
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Jun-07
damn son. I was just curious about how it worked. I mean do you go into Jobs blind without knowing howing compensation is going to be structured? You seem really rash, immature, and prone to overreaction. Maybe you're the one in the wrong profession.
8/17/07 6:01 PM
LeftBench
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Aug-07
Aliraps, you seem angry and upset. You might want to see a psychologist, for the health of yourself and your loved ones. ProMagnus, I wish I could help you out but I am not yet on the job. But here's a ttt for ya so someone else can help. Good luck man.
8/18/07 9:51 PM
jcblass
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Aug-07
Aliraps kind of got owned.
8/19/07 5:14 PM
Ze Dano
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Aug-07
LOL @ the guys who haven't worked a shift getting all over a cop who has been there, done that. Get into the profession for the work itself, not for what kind of scratch you can make.
8/19/07 11:26 PM
LeftBench
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Aug-07
Ze Dano, you have to admit that he could have been a bit nicer. I don't think ProMagnus had any malicious intent towards anyone, he just had a simple question.
8/21/07 12:48 AM
Ze Dano

Edited: 21-Aug-07 05:11 PM
ok..effingoof gave the correct answer...it really does depend on where you work. having said that, I'm sure Aliraps, along with most other officers, tend to be fairly protective of the job. OT is a bonus no doubt, but I for one didn't look at the prospects of it when I applied; I wanted to do the work.
1/10/09 10:04 AM
i hate you

if you get into this work for the money rather than it being what you want to do with your life, you will get burned out rather fast. also the reason most officers hate when a new hire asks about overtime is that you are coming in and trying to work overtime which they could possibly be working. it is like you are taking money out of their pocket.

that being said , it all depends on your department. off duty employment is where most officers make the majority of their overtime money. some departments will let you work extra shifts for overtime money also. my department has both but off duty is by far easier to find than trying to get extra shifts. we also get overtime pay for working on a holiday plus we get to take that holiday on another day after it has occurred. your department will explain most of this in general orders and other officers will explain the opportunities to you but most agencies will not let you work off duty or overtime until you are off your probationary status.
1/11/09 7:13 PM
TacFighter

ProMangus, no one can truly tell you without knowing which agency you are dealing with and in what area. Most agencies have enough "off-duty" or side work to keep you busy enough to see a significant increase in your pay (5K - 15K a year-possibly). sometimes this is worked through your agency and others it is payed by the independent employer. It truly changes from place to place.

There is a cause for concern (as you have seen) with many experience LEO when they hear someone ask such a question first (about how much money they can make) and not about the job itself. a word to the wise is i would not ask this question right off(should you take the job) to your training officers. I've got 23 years now and I am confortable with my life. I went into this jof never once thinking I was here to make money but have a career in LE. Truth is that these days if you pay your dues and work hard you can do okay.

To all others, sometimes you cant even blame the new recruits for asking these types of questions, when the recruiters are using it (I just found out our place uses off duty as a selling point) to recruit. I guess its just a sign of the times.
1/22/09 6:24 PM
cycklops
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We have a thing over here called AUO (authorized uncontrollable ot) If you can figure out how they calculate that shit you'd be better suited for an accounting career rather than LE

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.