UnderGround Forums

Iowa Underground >> Black Belt Academies in Iowa?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

6/29/07 11:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jasonclk
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jun-07

Good chance I might move to Iowa City this fall (2007) and I wanted to know if there are any black belt run BJJ academies in the general area. I am a purple belt from Michigan under Saulo Ribeiro. I am obviously more interested in an academy where the BB instructor is there all of, or most of the time. Not the ones where they pop in once or twice per year. Any info would be greatly appreciated. ~jason
6/29/07 5:53 PM
sirquack
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jason, I can't be 100% certain, but I would dare to say there are NO black belt run BJJ academies in Iowa. We have a purple belt run school here in Des Moines. There is also one in Cedar Valley, near Waterloo Iowa run by another good purple belt. But that is about the extent of the true BJJ players in the state. If you do happen to get out this way in the fall, feel free to stop on in to the Des Moines Jiu Jitsu Academy if you happen to make it into the capital city. Our clubs website is: www iowabjj com Ron Ellsworth Blue Belt under 'Caique' Elias
6/29/07 9:59 PM
Crump's Brother
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ Pretty much nailed it. I'll vouch for both places as every I train with is real cool (in Waterloo) as well as everyone I've rolled with in Des Moines is cool too. You're certainly more than welcome to visit us in Waterloo too.
7/2/07 9:22 AM
jasonclk
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jul-07
thanks for the info.
7/15/07 3:48 PM
Keoni
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jul-07
Go to Pats place, pretty sure there are some decent grapplers there : )
1/3/08 3:59 PM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Jan-08 04:05 PM
In addition to Pat who is a bjj blackbelt under oswaldo alves we have another BJJ blackbelt from Rio, Brazil Rodrigo Uzeda also under oswaldo alves team who teaches here now 4x a week. Pedro Silviera who is a bjj blackbelt also frequents MFS quite a bit and trained Jens Pulver for his last WEC win.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.