UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Sambo Nationals

10/27/02 5:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Osaekomi
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Oct-02
Josh, I have been out of the sambo/sombo loop for a while but trust me you would waltz to a spot on the USA team. Once on the team you have to pay our own way to all the world championships, etc. The best sombo/sambo comps in the USA are the sombo comps usually in conjunction with the AAU Wrestling Grand Nationals. The sombo world comps are not the tits though. To seek out the really rough dudes you would have to compete in the World Sambo Championships where you would come across dudes from Russia, Georgia, etc. Trouble is the sambo nationals are a freakin' joke with hardly anyone there. I am not sure if there are even any more sambo nationals held. Sombo/sambo is a another bullshit political mess in the US. If you type sombo or sambo in your search engine you will get some web sites. I still have some solid contacts in both. I'll try and dig up some info. You would dig sambo.
10/27/02 6:46 PM
Punk Dobbs
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think that Pordash is a Chiropractic doctor, not a Phd. I've been to one of his clinics and I did learn a few things.
10/27/02 7:44 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

punk.. yes, my ranking on the usa judo national roster is just a front for my amazing skills with a double flying reverse heel kick. =) i figure that as a yellow belt in judo with 15 years of training i could maybe throw an orange belt if he wasnt too much stronger then i am. =) hehehehe... anyways.. Q, if i have to raise money to send myself to even more events the world over i think i will have to pass on sambo. not that it isnt a great sport that i would really like to get involved in, but raising money for judo is hard enough-- imagine raising money for 2 seperate sports??? my lord. -Resnick
10/27/02 8:19 PM
Osaekomi
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh, For sure. Maybe if a sombo comp was nearby in cali at some point in the future you might want to enter for kicks.
10/28/02 3:21 AM
Osaekomi

Edited: 28-Oct-02 12:39 PM
WSF, "I have students that have won multiple national championsips in judo and they get tapped by my students with one year of WSF sambo experience." Just for my edification and to satisfy my curiosity who are the judo national champs you refer to in the above-listed quote? I don't think anyone is trying to rain on your parade or being argumentative but rather just giving you honest opinion.
10/28/02 10:23 AM
flowslo

Edited: 28-Oct-02
WSF stated that this is hosted by the WSF and intended to be a national grappling tournament. He says I hope you come and demonstrate your GROUND GAME. HE didn't state come show your Sambo skills BUT, I can understand what you guys are saying with the title being "Sambo Nationals". It actually seems like a good event for Judoka and Sambo players to get more experience. Matt Furey's Grappling magazine are going to be there covering the event and the rules are very complete for a grappling tourney.
10/28/02 12:13 PM
QUINCY RICE

Who do you get insured through to play in the WSF sanctioned tournaments? USJA? FIAS? AAU?
10/28/02 7:03 PM
samboboy

Russian Judo
This is a joke call it what you want but it's not Sambo, it's not combat Sambo, or Samoz, or anything other than a garden variety grappling. I guess all the real World Championships and cups around the world are just quasi-judo then. In which case I may change myname to sambo-quasi-judo-boy.
10/29/02 5:06 PM
tailiu315

Edited: 29-Oct-02
the guy is partially right tho... Sambo was developed as a COMPLETE martial system. Therfore he can call it a Sanbo tournament because Sambo is not limited to the "sport Sambo" which was evolved from traditional Sambo. Either way I would hope that Sambo would be brought back into the loop of the grappling world. It would be ashame to lose such a great grappling art.
10/30/02 11:25 AM
Samooborona

Edited: 30-Oct-02
tailiu, Yes, it's a complete martial system, however, if you were to run a "sambo tournament" in russia, with these rules.. people would show up, and look at you like yer an f'ing idiot.
10/30/02 11:31 AM
dynamo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Samooborna, When I was in Moscow last summer there was a Swiss Sambo team there and their coach was wearing a red/white belt(judo) and he looked like an idiot.
10/30/02 1:13 PM
Samooborona

Dynamo, LOL, those are the best. The ones I really like are when you go to US tournaments, and a guy has his black belt with 47 different stripes on it and "World Sambo Champion" printed on it. You proceed to 12 point the guy in 30 seconds.. and then he bitches about how he really had you beat the whole time.
10/30/02 6:04 PM
stlsambo

First let me say that people are not crazy for having a differnt idea than you. It's good to see that all of you who post care so strongly about sombo,Judo, to get so upset about this. I realize that some of you are great fighters and Instructors. SO Please keep a open mind . This tourney is not the AAU where you wait 8 hours between fights (13 hours total)The head referee throw's a fit a curses away. My experince with the SO Called National AAU tourney was so bad I'll never go back.(should be Sambo F/U nationals). All Doc, Is tryng to do is have a tourney where the most complete fighter will win. I hope that as many of you that can make it will. I will be fighting and alway's learning. J.W. Wright Grappling Concepts St.Louis
10/31/02 4:13 AM
panthert

Edited: 31-Oct-02
stlsambo is 100% correct. If any of you ever have the chance to train with Darrin Pordash do so, he is very good.
10/31/02 6:35 AM
Koga

On the website http://www.go.to/thewsf it list Dr. Pordash as a 4th Degree BB under the WSF, so you know he has to be good.
10/31/02 11:31 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whatever. like the degree of a rank is what makes somebody good. i know tons of people from 1st to 4th (and even some up to 6th) who cant find their way out of a paper bag with a hole already in the top. nobody cares about Dr. Pordash and what he is doing. We only care that he is calling his system sambo/sombo when it isnt. call it something else and nobody will give a shit. plain truth of the matter is what he is calling sambo is actually an open-forms event. why not just call it that? its fraudulant, and disgraceful, to do anything less. oranges arent called grapes, afterall. -resnick
10/31/02 2:46 PM
Samooborona

lol, a 4th degree blackbelt under the WSF... note that he's also the creator of the WSF....
10/31/02 6:16 PM
McLeod
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dr Pordash is a great grappler. His main instructor is Gokor. Gokor is, has, and always will come out to give seminars for him, and gokor considers Doc one of his students. yes, the Doc has trained in BJJ as well, but he has won many Sambo/sombo tourny's (I don't know which one's, I'm not well versed in them) and he placed 2nd I believe in the Sambo Worlds back in the late 90's I believe. You may not like his calling the tourny sambo, but to question his abilities is almost laughable.
10/31/02 7:55 PM
dynamo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Samooborona When you have the chance email me at dynamogregg@msn.com
10/31/02 8:33 PM
Koga

Wow, I am amazed that anyone could have the audacity to question Dr. Pordash's credentials. Not only is he the highest ranking sambo instructor in America, I would not be surprised to hear that he had a black belt from Gene LeBell himself! Remember that a student of Prodash, Vincent Fields, was recently awarded his bb by Gene and Pordash is higher ranking than Fields. Winners of the national sambo championships will no doubt have honor of representing the U.S. at the WSF' world sambo championships. - Koga!
10/31/02 9:45 PM
QUINCY RICE

How can you be the highest ranking sambo guy when sambo doesnt have rank?
10/31/02 10:03 PM
Koga

Gene LeBell and Gokar are the only samboists with high enough rankings to even think about critiquing Pordash in a public forum, which is unlikely as all learn the real masters techniques from one another. - Koga!
10/31/02 10:31 PM
dynamo

Quincy is correct. One of my best friends is Igor Kurinnoy of Moscow, Russia.He is the current World Sambo Champion and the current World Sambo Cup Champion. He is a 3x champ in both events. He has NO belt ranking in Sambo. For those interested check his website: www.kurinnoy.borec.ru Dynamo
10/31/02 10:51 PM
Koga

What are you trying to imply Dynamo, that some Russian guy who does not even have a black belt in sambo is a real sambo champion and Pordash is not? What you have written is ridiculous. If true, Pordash would be nothing more than a fraud who made himself a 4th degree bb in an organization which he is the President of and in a style which does not use belt ranks. If true, a black belt from Gene Lebell would be a marketing award and not the ultimate honor of grappling achievement despite it having been awarded to grappling greats like former UFC matchmaker John Petrelli and "Rowdy" Roddy Piper. If true, the "World" Sambo Federation would be nothing more than a McDojo Midwestern US grappling federation with no connection to real sambo practiced in Russia or elsewhere outside of Indiana. I suggest that you take a long hard look in the mirror before you ask yourself the question: is the WSF a complete joke or am I? - Koga!
10/31/02 10:56 PM
dynamo

What I trying to imply Koga is that there are NO BELT RANKINGS IN SAMBO. As for the rest I believe you have answered your our questions.-Dynamo!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.