Edited: 25-Oct-02
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Work out more! :-) Tony
10/26/02 3:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
garcar
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Oct-02
Mmmm. Thanks Tony. I don't know what happened to the rest of my thread, the title came out but not the question. Mind you, your advice to work out more is sound advice anyway, but I suppose what I'm trying to do is work out more intelligently. Basically, as I explained on a previous thread, I only get to practise with a live partner once a week at most so I'm trying to make up for that with some skills training solo, combining it with fitness training. I've enjoyed doing the combat calisthenics workout as per the video but I'm wondering if there are more solo drills that I can add to it. One thing also confused me a bit about Tom Cambell's advice in the last thread about doing 20/10's after skill work. In the video you demonstrate the close quarter form after doing the 20/10's, could I, therefore do the close quarter form first then do the aerobic warm up and 20/10's. Does the workout have to be in the exact order you show it on the video for maximum effect or can it be varied. Thanks, Gary.
10/27/02 7:15 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 27-Oct-02
My 'workout more' was part seriousness part humor since your question didtn appear :-) But ulitmately it all comes down to training (not typing) :-) My Combat Cal. video and workout represents a theme and message not a technical training process...Tom's approach will typically be more intense and more specific...the COmbat Cal video is an 'orientation' to help serious martial artists and self-defense practitioners follow a trainiing path/mind-set that will help their tactical training as well as their real world scenarios. Tom's detail into the training is at another level and more specific when one designs it. His rationale for the sequence of skills & 20/10s is because you cannot intelligently work skill if youre whipped! Youve missed a subtle point on the tape....the reason of my 'why' is different to Tom's 'When & Why'....not our theme or message but the actual definition of what were (you) trying to acomplish... I do my CQF etc to warmup I then do 20/10s and then Ill do close quarter stuff afterwards to replicate or remind myself that I can still access complex motor skills at an elevated heart rate (a point and reality missed & misunderstood by so many 'experts' in the self-defense community). If I were working skill to focus on skill I would do that separate to my anaerobic training as Tom recommends. Tony
10/27/02 11:55 AM
garcar

Thanks again Tony, I think I've just had a light bulb moment! Gary.
10/27/02 4:19 PM
truart

Garcar, I just want to add something Tom Cambell said to me that may clarify how to sequence your training. I had asked him about skill / anaerobic workouts and if they always should be separate. He told me that if I would be using a skill set at speed and anaerobically (like real fights) then sometimes you need to work your skill set at elevated heart rates and speed like Coach Blauer indicated above. Hope that helps. Tony Torres BTS LEO PDR Team
10/28/02 3:42 PM
garcar

Edited: 28-Oct-02
Thanks truart, That does help and makes a good deal of sense. Once you've aquired the skill it does make sense to practice it in a similar physiological state to that which would exist during a fight. I'm learning a lot from this forum. Incidentally, is Tom Cambell a proffesional instructor, he seems to have a great depth of knowledge about physical conditioning. Regards, Gary.
10/28/02 9:15 PM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 28-Oct-02
Thanks Gary, glad youre nejoying it. We try to keep it cerebral and provacative here. As for Tom, he's been teaching for many years, and works with a small group in his home town and when time permits shares thoughts on this forum. Tony
10/30/02 5:39 PM
Tom Campbell

Edited: 30-Oct-02
Gary, Let me add a little tidbit to help you in the future. With any new skill learn it when you are fresh. Then learn to apply it when you are fresh. Then finally learn to apply it when you are tired. Then and only then can you say that you have learned the skill. :-) Peace, Tom
10/31/02 9:30 AM
tmorenz

Edited: 31-Oct-02
Gary, If you haven't already, like coach mentioned, get the "Combat Calisthenics" video. I watched it again last night and it does a really fantastic job of giving the rationale behind conditioning to support tactics, and gives a tangible, visceral explanation on how to incorporate it into your overall regimen. Tom Campbell is the man who introduced me, like phil and robb have discussed, to the real science of tactical strength and conditioning. His methods,which are answers to your questions, have significantly bolstered my effectiveness, prevented injury and dramatically alter body composition. It's the real deal. T.
10/31/02 12:44 PM
garcar

Edited: 31-Oct-02
T. I've got the Combat Cals. video, and have been doing the workout as shown and enjoyed it. I think as coach Blauer said, I missed the point of the video in that I viewed it as a complete workout as opppsed to to a training rationale. My Problem is that with limited time I need to try to incorporate more skills work in my solo training to make up for my lack of training time with a partner, but I think I'm getting there. Tom, thanks again for your input. I hope I can benefit some more from your knowledge in future. Regards, Gary.
11/20/02 1:15 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 20-Nov-02
ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.