UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> US U-20 Greg Dalby to Preston?

7/5/07 4:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Takedown
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Jul-07

By Rory Dollard Special to PA SportsTicker PRESTON, England (Ticker) - English Championship club Preston North End is close to signing United States Under-20 captain Greg Dalby after agreeing terms with the midfielder. Preston narrowly missed out on promotion to the Premier League after reaching the playoffs last season, and manager Paul Simpson is now building for another attempt at reaching the top flight. The 21-year-old Dalby had a trial at Preston last season but, despite interest from the club, went on to complete trials elsewhere in Europe. Scottish champion Celtic and German club Werder Bremen were linked with a possible move. The former University of Notre Dame player has now agreed terms with Preston and is awaiting international clearance for his work permit before the deal is finalized. He has not played the required number of games for the national side to earn such clearance yet, but the club has applied to bypass that condition using the 'exceptional talent' ruling. If his move is approved, Dalby will follow in the footsteps of U.S. internationals Brian McBride and Eddie Lewis, who have both played for Preston in the last few years. Dalby, born in Newport Beach, California was given a place in the USA's Under-18 side after beating thousands of applicants to win the Gatorade National High School Player of the Year award. In 2005, the central player went on to skipper the country's Under-20 side in the FIFA World Youth Championships. I've never heard of the lad before and he's from my area. Newport is a hotbed for footie talent, so it doesn't surprise me he's possibly moving on to Preston. This is great for U.S. footie to keep getting players across the pond in more competitive action. I hope things pan out for the lad.
7/5/07 10:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Govnor
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Jul-07
" "The former University of Notre Dame player""

Yep, it's like that over here.

I went to see the local big Uni play here (Indiana). 3,000 people were watching the game. High quality as well (they were the national champs that year).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.