UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> be Yor own bodyguard slogan

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
straightpunch2000
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02

I bought the 'be your own bodyguard' package from you and love it, but since getting more involved in training for the steeet and using the internet to gather more info I noticed that the "be your own body guard' slogan is used by a few other sites, one called 'beyourownbodyguard.com' and also on Joe Stagners site stoprape and another site called confrontation management systems. How can these people use your tradenames like that or did you even know. Sorry if this causes you grief. Lee
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Dear JOe Stagner of Stoprape.com, You had two choices: 1. Do the right thing. Take the integrity door. Realize you blatantly use a slogan of mine, used in contemporary magazine ads, on my site, on manuals etc. And admit it was wrong. Fix it. End of story. 2. Defiance. The predicatable path. Threaten, deny, rationalize, point fingers. And of course, post the ubiquitous 'I'll sue you' line. Well, you couldnt resist Joe...I'm disappointed but not surprised. You know, I thought you understood the economics of publicity and wouldve simply realized that using my slogan blatantly on your site would not bode well... Why do you think it is OK to do that? [Rhetorical of course.] When Paul Viele contacted you about confusingly similar names for World Martial Art, you threatened to sue him too. Youve threatened to sue Jake, George, me, Paul...*sigh* Well, I guess its no real surprise. You threaten to sue everyone. Joe you need to read some of the posts you churned out about me & the PDR if you want to understand legal foundation. You need to look at your documents filled with slander and stories and accusations, you need to look at how you use other famous names to bolster your reputation, you need to explain how you & why you registered PDRTEAM.com and BLAUERTACTICAL.com to yourself and then linked them to your site and I suppose you would also need to explain to your lawyer, while explaining I was the bad-guy, how among the many nasty threatening letters you sent me, why you also demand money from me if I ever want to use those .COM's - there's more, but you get the idea. I cannot fathom how you justify your behavior. You push all the buttons and yet accuse me of 'heating things up'... I have heated nothing my former student. You are using a tradename of mine. Period. End of story. Reflect on this Joe: HAd you original concepts in place and another used you or your ideas, I surmise you would be miffed as well. All you need to do is come up with your own 'copy' and take down mine. You have brought this on yourself, you can end it as well. Just remember, 'YOU' wrote your site Joe and everytime you see the term BE YOUR OWN BODYGUARD you know you took it from me and managed to even include the term 'PERSONAL DEFENSE' a few times in your verbiage, but you know you are thinking of me... You throw other people's names and ideas around to draw attention to yourself but likely without their consent. I highly doubt Gavin DeBecker, and all the other names you list in your ABOUT page realize 'you use' their reputation to bolster yours. And if you do have arrangemnts or letters from them stating that they have no problem with you using their names then I owe you an apology and I will apologize Joe; something that is not in your chemical make-up to do as I have never recieved an apology for your on & off anti-Blauer campaign. Look, I have no time for you and this post is simply a reminder that no one, including YOU operates without impunity. Did you put it up there thinking no one would let me know about it? Silly. You got caught. Do the right thing or have you figured out how to rationalize this?? :-) So if you can tear yourself away from your legal threats, look in the mirror and either apologize or take the slogan down [which is tantamount to the same thing]. Joe, you know in my BE YOUR OWN BODYGUARD package that you purchased from me? Remember the 10 Commandments section? Well Commandment 11 is 'Thou Shalt Not Cut & Paste'. Remember Joe, you keep this public by your actions, I would never have gone to your site had I not been ALERTED to the problem you penned. Yours in edification, Tony Blauer
JoeStagner
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

USMuayThai.com
How unfortunate.
Tony Blauer

Thanks for the heads-up Lee, this is an old problem and one that I surmise will follow any innovator in any industry. On a separate note, I was reading some BIO's and it scares me that some people will put up a site, boast a system and resume based mostly on video and book training. Scary huh? But I'm just generalizing here... As to your post, two of the three 'uses' are mis-uses. They are deliberate. There's one I can only surmise but have not proof or contact with. The CONFRONTATION MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS site [not to be confused with TACTICAL CONFRONTATION MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS]is a deliberate mis-use. Aside from the deliberatly confusingly similar name, the BE YOUR OWN BODYGUARD slogan is used within...the culprit, is a former student of mine who apparently came up with these new ideas - after years of training under me. The other site, 'BE YOUR OWN BODYGUARD' came out with their ads long after I released my BYOB campaign. I have no idea if they saw my material first or came up with the term on their own. My slogan was around long long ago, but I had no personal contact them. It may be innocent. WHo knows. The only new one is Joe's mis-use of my BE YOUR OWN BODYGUARD slogan. Unfortunately a brief digression into how he comes to that trm is necessary to make sense of this post: JOe was training under me and due to 'devolving circumstances' I chose to sever that relationship. [Many in the Mental Edge and other forums are aware of how ugly it got with his posts all over the net, but I would rather leave that out of this and hopefully he has grown past that too.] Bottom line: My slogan and any other terms should not be on his site. WHy he would put it on his page without my written permission or endorsement is a question only he can answer. I surmise that because encases it in a sentence, he feels it is not a direct 'appropriation'. You know the expression 'to rationalize', well it sometimes means to use 'rational lies'. I only hope that he realizes that it is inappropriate and it use can/will only lead to more controversy. Hopefully he will sit back, glance at the screen and realize he lifted it from me, it is wrong, it is not his and everytime he looks at his site he will be reminded of that transgression and of his own volition choose to remove it and try to create something original. For The Record: There are two levels of copyright and tradename protection, the first and most important is 'coining' & then continued professional use. The second is trademark application. I coined the principle in 1986-87 during my CEREBRAL SELF-DEFENSE seminars. Thats 15 years ago. I have used it professionally since then and created the concept and its components during that era. It was not just a catchy name but a principle and a part of my course. It is therefore protected by Intellectual Property laes as well as copyright law. The BYOB slogan also appears in manuals and on my audio tape and other video. It was also federally registered a couple of years ago and is now an official trademark of mine on both counts. Again Lee, thanks for bringing this to my attention. Tony Blauer
JoeStagner
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

USMuayThai.com
No Oops Tony, Simply a desire not to involve the folks that come here to learn in what will be an ugly legal battle. I shoudln't have responded here at all, I should have simply contacted my lawyer. Which I have now done - and nitified Kirik of the actions about to begin. My intent openly stated - is to sue you in US court for Liable, Slander, Theft of Services and Breach of Conract. I intend to exersize all my rights to discovery so that the court will bring to light ALL of your business practices. (And only YOU and Jesse know exactly what I'm talking about.) ... and to seek what ever actual cash damages and compensatory or punative damages the court will grant, coupled with a legal binding for you to stop slandering me in a public forum. I will name as codefendents everyone my lawyer advises me to include, including your team members that have participated in your campaign and MMA.com, since you are legally their agent here. I will subpena those people and the dozens in the US, Canada and Europe that have shared simular experiences - as well as every other piece of supporting information that a judge would use to evaluate credibity - including the thousands of email in my posession from you adn all the "Blauer Data Bases and Backups in my posession". As will a teh dozens of industry experts that use termononoly that you claim as your own, but was in common use long before your presence. (I see you are now claiming the side kick as your very own property. Funny, my stationary from 1979 includes the same image.) You insist on playing this in the court of your choosing - now we can spend some time and money here in New Hampshire - playing this in the court on MY choosing. My lawyer will be in touch. Joe
JoeStagner

USMuayThai.com
How unfortunate Defamation and Liable are Illegal Tony. I would have thought you learned this the last time you got sued. I will avise my atourney that you wish to settle our collection of outstanding issues in front of a United States judge or jury.
Tony Blauer

JOe, I gues you think you're pretty smart, editing your post. I knew you would reread this, realize an 'oops' delete your post...well, you owe me an apology not a delete. PLease do not try to appear aloof and detached. A warrior admits an error and moves on. So in order to keep the record straight, here is a copy of JOe's original unedited post: ------------ DELETE THREAD -[IP: ********] Subject: RE: INFO From: JoeStagner Date: 02-Jul-01 | 09:37 PM Tony, Since you seem to want to heat things up again. I will advise my lawyers to proceed as I advised you they would during the last round of this crap. See you in US court. Joe ------------- OUt of respect for your privacy JOe, notice I did delete your IP. Sincerely, Tony
OpenMinded1

NOT THIS SHI*….. AGAIN!
bremc

Gee! Can't we all just get along?
Sean Mulligan

straightpunch2000, Because that would mean that he is wrong and to do so would require courage, something that he does not possess. Courage; "Doing what needs to be done!" Sean
MitchJ

I do not post here often for many personal reasons. As a journalist I try to remain objective and don't feel the need to let my emotions loose on any website. On the other hand I am also a close friend of Tony (and he has been a teacher of mine for nearly 17 years). Here are some facts. Go to: http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois and type in blauertactical.com. Who's name is this registered to? Since when can someone open up a greasy spoon, steal a McDonalds sign and put it up on their storefront? Even more interesting: type in the following url's: chufendo.com pdrteam.com personaldefensereadiness.com and look who "owns" them and when they were registered. I hope Mr. Stagner has a dream team of lawyers like OJ to explain how he came up with these URL's AFTER working with Tony. It's called cybersquatting: it's illegal, shows lack of integrity and respect and, overall, is wrong. I guess my biggest beef is that the world of martial arts has been honed and crafted on personal integrity and honour. What an embarrasement to the people who died and who train seriously to make these streets a better place for everyone. It's shameful. It makes me sad about the state of our society. It makes me angry that ANYONE would allow Mr. Stagner (and people of his ilk) the title "teacher" or "coach". It makes me not want to bring children up in a world that can't embrace it's history, respect it and build upon it. Instead, it seems, that the history of martial arts and self-defense is not based on helping someone without skills find answers, but rather about how much you can steal and claim as your own. Sad. Mitch Joel
Sean Mulligan

Nicely said Mitch! Sean
straightpunch2000

sorry mr. Blauer Ididnt mean for this to get out of hand. I knew it was controversial but I was pissed at what i saw. I had read your NEWFORUM RULES and felt this fell in the category of important 'politcal' stuff. Anyhow, I hope it resolves itself fast. Why doesnt Joe stagner just take that down?? Lee
RICK SIKORA

Rarely do I post on this mixed martial arts website because of the 90% idiots that post. Little do they know that they are hurting more than helping their sport. As far as slogans and sayings, I'm not sure if Tony heard them from someone or made them up himself. All I do know is That Tony has a unique and innovative ability (which many do not have) to give his training methods names and titles that are really cool. Like I said, I don't know where many of Tonys sayings came from but I originally heard them from Tony, so I give him full credit. But as Bruce said " It's only a name, don't fuss over it" Tony, by the way, had to pick up someome from the Beekman Hotel last week and watched a massive fight between two guys in that down stairs restaurant. Remember the place? Rick
P

To all, I'm very pleased that this 'distraction' has taken the direction it should. True colors are always inevitably revealed. I have consciously avoided commenting here until now as thinking about it had brought with it a negative energy that I neither needed nor wanted. Scott, that was a truly brilliant post and I offer you my personal thanks, as enough energy has been wasted on the said 'distraction' (I'm certain you feel the same about your own!). One would think that someone who sees the importance of creative research would honor that and allow the creators to use energy in more positive pursuits than the 'protection of innovation'. Again my personal thanks for speaking the truth plainly and clearly. It's an uncommon warrior virtue in this 'modern' age. For everyone who reads this let it be known that Mr. Blauer continues to demonstrate why he is the President and Founder of ' BLAUER Confrontation Management Systems'. Not once has he allowed the 'negative influence' to disturb the focus of the office. He reminds me that we are here to HELP no matter what outside influences try to do. They can try to 'misdirect' people from searching for the truth but, as Scott aptly put, "People are inherently intuitive, and will (eventually, if not immediately) sift through the silt and find the gold." Keep spreading the word, P.
MitchJ

It's a thread like this that allows me to know, intuitively, that meeting, training and being part of the Blauer legacy since I was 13 is one of the best reasons to wake up in the morning. Thanks all for using integrity, honesty and nvp's all along the way. Best Regards, Mitch Joel P.S. See you all at PDR in August.
RICK SIKORA

Dear Stansfield My comments may have been gray insteard of black and white because you don't know the whole story. Honoring the source of your education? There was a website recently (no need to name it I think we all know) where people were killing Tony about his own source of education. What did I do? stuck up for
RICK SIKORA

Dear Stansfield My comments may have been gray insteard of black and white because you don't know the whole story. This has gone from an honest,but blunt comment, to dicussing my dealings with Tony. It had nothing to do with my post.When I posted I was honest, I wasn't sure where Tony had gotten his tradenames and slogans. I know he was always thinking and innovating, but I never knew where they came from. Maybe everything is his. No one should get all defensive when they're questioned. It shows signs of insecurity. Some examples of martial artists (and this doesn't mean I like them) Vunak "It's Dans stuff, not mine" Hochheim "Remy and Ernesto Presas, they're my mentors" Myself " Mack, Blauer, Hochheim, my police and military buddies. About honoring the source of your education? There was a website recently (no need to name it I think we all know) where people were killing Tony about his own source of education. What did I do? stuck up for his teachings. When some people found out that I had trained with Tony. I must have gotten 6 or 8 e-mails asking these questions "Why doesn't Blauer give credit to his sources of education"? and How come all of the top instructors name threir teachers, except Tony Blauer. I said, ask him yourself. If you think your comments made no difference to me......you're right, because it's been a discussion that's been worked to death, not by Tony, but his students. Stealing material, stealing methods, stealing this stealing that. I remember a quote from a famous instructor at a seminar that stuck in my head. Sifu, how do you feel about other people stealing your material? Sifu answers stealing? we call it sharing. One day you'll realize that the more you throw in peoples faces the honor your education quote, the more they will bust your balls. Tradenames, slogans etc....Yes, you want to protect your hard work, but you'll always go through the BS of people copying and not giving credit, but what can you do? Rick
taroson

Folks, First of all, thanks to Mr. Scott Sonnon for his brilliant post. Stansfield, you make some very definite thought provoking points. I hope everyone will read over what you have written very carefully... I believe Mr. Sonnon represents the perfect example of how professional collaboration between true innovators and teachers can help to educate the rest of us and give us all the opportunity to move up another level. For continued education read the "Ain't Skeered" thread. Compare the words and actions of Mr. Sonnon with those of Mr. Stagner. If I remember correctly, one of the reasons the PDR team was developed was to foster the kind of synergy evident between Mr. Blauer and Mr. Sonnon. Personally, as an instructor, I can only continue to work on my capacity and emulate Rick's Muay Thai teacher. The direction I am humbly pointing all those who will listen is TCMS and ROSS... Take Care All, Mike
RICK SIKORA

Like I mentioned, my Muay Thai teacher was and always will be my biggest influence because he opened my eyes to seek out instruction that he couldn't provide. He was crosstraining way before it was fashionable by adding Thai with Jiu-jitsu and wrestling. He gave me his blessings and told me to spread the word whether it was the ring or the street. Nothing else Rick
RICK SIKORA

Hey Stansfield, no need to lay a lecture regarding Tony, I've known him alot longer than most guys on this forum have. We've hung out, trained and talked about everything from weightlifting to girlfriend dilemmas. Doing research on me? know what I own, how many videos I own and the extent of my private lessons. Good, I can say that about atleast 3 or 4 other instructors also. My biggest influence? My Muay Thai teacher who after 3 years of private lessons practically threw me out and made me seek out instructors like Tony, Hochheim, Carvalho. Every great martial arts instructor is unique and an original in his or her way. Why did I say I'm not sure whether Tony heard some of these sayings or slogans or made them up himself? Because one of the first comments Tony mentioned to me was this. "Any great teacher is a thief: he is a cat burgler of ideas. Anyone who has an effective system draws from a variety of influences. About slogans.... who the hell knows who was the first person to use something like be your own bodyguard? Don't worry about digging too deep. Unless I know someone personally and know what they're about, it usually goes in one ear and out the other and all you know about me is what you've learned from Tony. There have been good times and stressful times between us. Tony can speak for himself and doesn't need assistance from his students,so I suggest worrying about your own development. Martial arts is my living, so I have plenty of time to research and read about what other martial artists do and say. I've heard many similar statements from various martial artists regarding tactics, slogans, names etc. Was Tony copied by some guys? hell yeah! somethings I read I couldn't believe they would have the balls to just about copy it to the tee on their website. But that's people. As far my teaching style, I could care less about naming tactics, strategies or methods. I had a student who after draining my brain for knowledge is now the innovator of his own system. SUCKS, but what can I do, it'll probably happen again. I don't and never will call my self an inventor. I am simply the conduit and a product of my instructors. I like to say I'm just an organizer of the material I learned from all of my great teachers. Enough for now. Rick
RICK SIKORA

Stansfield, You speak of only what you know. You want to know about a little history? Why I speak this way? E-mail me at rssikora@aol.com and we'll talk. Let's keep it off this forum.
truart

Hi Mr. Sikora, I have posted this in a previous thread on the UG, but I believe a short revisit is in order. For some reason martial arts and self defense instructors of the past couple of decades refuse to believe in the capacity of human beings to evolve and innovate. They give lots of credit to Bruce Lee, who has been dead for over a quarter of a century, but obstinately deny that during OUR time, somebody currently living and teaching is capable of propelling us light years forward with HIS OWN new fresh ideas, theories, and wisdom. I believe that if they can not see that capacity in others it is because they can not find it in themselves. By the same token if you truly embrace the belief that Mr. Blauer, a normal, living, breathing, human being; or anybody for that matter, through hard work and sincere effort can create and develop original concepts; then perhaps you will see that same capacity in yourself, and perhaps you too will create something that will help us all improve! I believe we are all capable of varying degrees of innovation. In the field of street effective self defense I find Tony Blauer is an innovator light years ahead of his time and a catalyst for evolution. When YOU set limits for human capacity, don't forget, YOU are included! Respectfully, Tony Torres Va. Beach, VA
straightpunch2000

Mr. Sikora, Ive read your come backs over a couple of times and theres somehting true about parts of them but theres somehting bothersome too. Its not my business, but it sure seems like you spend some energy in every post making sure we all understand that while you repsect Mr blauer, you dont really know if the material is his. Perhaps thats not your intention, but thats the vibe i get. I think Mr. Stansfield was only trying to point out some ideas about Mr Blauers teaching and speaking skill and that his time with you was for you to reflect and think about whether it looked like Mr Blauer was innovating while he was teaching you or immitating while he was teaching you. At least thats my opinion and I think you maybe took it the wrong way. maybe, but you keep complimenting then alluding to something mysterious (ie.'you dont know all the facts) why write that if youre not going to provide US with all the facts? Just my opinion. A lot of your morals and stories are excellent but they are stories about sifu's and masters, in my opinoin fairytales in this day and age, I have been around some of these people and very often what is said publicly is NOT what is said privately.
straightpunch2000

Another point you made that I found intersting is this: ""Why doesn't Blauer give credit to his sources of education"? and How come all of the top instructors name their teachers, except Tony Blauer. I said, ask him yourself." Your reply is intersting Rick. Firstly, I scoured his web site and found some clear lineage there - TKD, boxing, wreslting and a love of Bruce Lee. But what is really interesting and I suppose hard to digest for some, is clearly written in Mr Baluers bio about how and why he developed his system. Is it possible that Mr. blauer has come up with new material? I realize everyone is inspired or influenced by another, but who does an inventor or innovator thank besides his parents and physics teacher from high school? And at what point can we all just accept the difference between a really good athlete, a really good teacher and a really good innovator? I own many many tapes including Mr. Blauer's and I agree there are many many great teaching teaching Jeet Kune Do, Thai boxing, Ju Jitsu, Kali, TKD, etc, but you know what hoiw many Chu Fen do tapes are there? The Panic Attack drill, the High Gear suit, Chu fen Do, the Range Rover, the Cycle of Behavior and so on, thats new stuff - when you look inside Mr. Blauer's material you see something different. And if it werent new, why did you, a very experienced martial artist spend years with him and continue to integrate his ideas and drills? Becuase its important and good, Im guessing. And why do so many people integrate his drills or ideas if all he was doing was teaching someone elses material with his own slant? I suspect its becuase he is not. I hope people read this in the light I intend. I spent time away from work sifting through the site (Mr. Blauer get a navigation system please!)I just see people fixating on such small ideas and not seeing the big picture, but who am i to judge? Also, this was on Mr Blauer's site as well, perhaps you and some others should print it or post it on these other forums, where people asked why Mr Blauer never thanks anyone. This is the page: http://tonyblauer.com/Tactical/SWAT.html "Mr. Blauer would like to thank the following warriors who offered their time, energy and input to help us develop our courses. These men embody integrity. Their desire to improve, not just personally, but tactically, can be felt through their selfless attitudes and desire to help law enforcement and military units survive violent encounters. They evaluated our tactics, shared ideas, opinions, and made honest suggestions while we researched and assembled our programs. It was their personal input and feedback that has helped the TCMS Law Enforcement Training Division reach the standard for which it is known for today. Thank you all. Gary Klugiewicz, Chris Shepard, Gene Zink, John Meyer, Preston Covey, Steve Clagget, Sandy Wall, Joe Ferrera, Jim Worthington, , Mike Ferguson, Shane Ludwig, Paul Minner, Tim Pierce, Mark Babyak, Jeff Chudwin, Jim Campbell, Chris Caracci, Cam Conklin, Steve Luckey, Bob Willis, Jon Saterstad, Bennie Cooley, Phil Singleton, 'Coach' Bob Lindsey. (The names are in no particular order and if we've forgotten anyone, please forgive us.)"

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.