UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> SBGI Guard Passing

7/8/07 2:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kajukenbo2000
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Jul-07

Does SBGI have a DVD on passing the guard- standing, kneeling, open, closed, butterfly? I have SBG set#3 and it didn't really show anything specific. Is there one in the works? Thank you in advance.
7/8/07 3:58 PM
Matt Thornton
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the new Spring Camp 06 DVD set contains the guard passing drill. This is the core of the passing curriculum I teach. Most of the other sets, like the Berkeley set, and part of series #3 also cover safety position, base and posture and combat base. www.straightblastgym.com
7/8/07 5:20 PM
kajukenbo2000

Thanks Matt. That series covers closed and open, kneeling and standing guard passing?
7/8/07 10:14 PM
Matt Thornton
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The guard surfing drill in the Spring Camp starts in closed, but proceeds into primarily standing passes. Which is also how I teach. For more low passed check out: http://www.straightblastgym.com/store.htm NEW: Matt Thornton's SBGi BJJ Syllabus Seminar aka "Fla USA 2003" It has all both low and standing passes, and all the fundamental passes.
7/10/07 12:42 PM
kajukenbo2000

Edited: 10-Jul-07
Matt, I think I remember you stating that a Guard Passing DVD was possibly in works, in the future. Is that project still a possibility?
7/11/07 12:15 AM
Matt Thornton

Edited: 11-Jul-07
Yep, that will be the next DVD I shoot. But I have not even set a date for filming yet, so may be awhile.
7/11/07 5:35 AM
Jorx
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Jul-07
I too want to learn this magical thing called "SBGiguardpassing":)
7/16/07 1:46 AM
kajukenbo2000

Edited: 16-Jul-07
ok, so I just ordered the SBG 06 guard passing DVD/seminar. Thanks
8/5/07 2:22 PM
kajukenbo2000

Edited: 05-Aug-07
I trained Kajukenbo from 1991-2002 Under Prof. Clarence Emperado Luna here in Hawaii. My eyes were opened in 1996 when I trained BJJ under Egan Inoue for 1.5 years until I joined the US Coast Guard and left the Island. That led me to train via videos and seminars until I came back to Hawaii in 2001. Now I train MMA. To much politics in Kajukenbo and most schools don't want to progress past their old curriculum.
9/23/07 11:50 AM
mandalalisten

Edited: 23-Sep-07
Guard Surfing? Based on the 5 point passing method IIRC. Another nifty name for innate intelligence that has no name, but there are lines and threads of success to recognize, which is why the method works. add in the elements of redirection in successful progress of "the gentle art" (jiu jitsu) and end up with the framework for ANY successful "pass". Taken in a direction perhaps not previously considered before another word, that the concepts shared actually summarize the movements between most positions to other positions, (what is a shrimp?) and could even be re-packed to conceptualize the elements of successful transitions from positional dominance to submissions, (Chapman is good at this) excluding any terminology that deals with the weather. Base, Posture, Alignment Pass Entry: IE: Open(or)Break Control/Redirect/Setup : Legs Positional Control/Redirect/Setup : Hips Kontrol/(re)direct/Setup : Trunk These are all things that you figure out as time passes and you learn all these "moves", but there is really only One Move. Its Practice. Dave Copeland
7/21/08 7:33 PM
SPARTAN 74
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/21/08 8:25 PM

Hey Matt............ or anybody that can help,

How does the Guard Passing DVD from the  2004 Spring Camp Series compare with that of the aforementioned 2006 Spring Camp?  Is the same material covered in both? 

This is from the SBGi site for the 2004 DVD:

In this section Matt teaches the heart and soul of BJJ guard passing. Understanding this formula will forever change how you look at passing the guard.

Matt Thornton - Five Point Passing

1. Intro
  2. Opening legs - safety position
  3. Opening legs - base and posture; combat base
  4. Alternative base and posture (floating base?)
  5. 2-5 passing formula
  6. Passing formula drills

Next, SBGi VP Luis Gutierrez teaches his highly unique and functional passes. We guarantee you have not seen any of this before, anywhere.

1. Luis Gutierrez - Awesome Passes
  2. Intro to x guard
  3. X pass
  4. V pass
  5. Matt's power pass (Margarida pass)

And here is the writeup for the 2006 Spring Camp Guard Passing portion:

This is followed by the Guard Surfing drill, as created and taught by SBGi President Matt Thornton, the guard surfing drill forms the bulk of the SBGi passing curriculum. This innovative, flowing, athletic and Alive drill will take your guard passing game from zero to sixty, no matter what level of BJJ game you currently play. It is also applicable for gi, no-gi, or MMA. The guard surfing drill has never been shown on DVD before, or taught outside a SBGi facility, until now. The section ends with Matt explaining his overall Coaching philosophy, and how it relates to this drill.

Thanks in advance.

7/22/08 3:47 PM
Matt Thornton

I think the main difference is the guard surfing drill. The fundamentals are of course the same. But the other series is focused around the call out drill, which isn't shown on spring camp 04.
7/31/08 3:33 PM
The Gimp
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt,

Could you briefly explain why you choose to focus on teaching standing passes rather than kneeling passes?

Do you introduce students to kneeling passes as beginners, but then in your intermed-advanced classes drill mostly with standing passes?
8/4/08 1:19 AM
Matt Thornton

I don't teach a beginner and intermediate class. All our belts, white through black workout in the same class usually. I'll teach both kneeling and standing passes to new people. I have a few core kneeling passes such as the knee over, double under, etc. And from there I usually teach out of the guard surfing drill, which incorporates both standing and low passes.
8/8/08 7:46 PM
SPARTAN 74
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/08/08 7:47 PM
Hey Matt, Do you still plan on making a Guard Passing Specific DVD? If so, do you have any idea when you would put it out?

Thanks  
8/10/08 3:51 PM
Matt Thornton

Yes, probably shoot at the end of this Month.
8/10/08 10:50 PM
SPARTAN 74

That's great Matt !  When will it be available for purchase? Definitely looking forward to it.   Thanks.
8/11/08 4:23 PM
Matt Thornton

Not sure, hopefully by Christmas time.
8/11/08 6:08 PM
SPARTAN 74

Cool Matt...Thanks

8/28/08 10:03 AM
groundfighter2000
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
12/12/08 10:15 AM
SPARTAN 74

Matt, Can you provide an update?  Thanks
12/12/08 2:21 PM
Matt Thornton

There is a guard passing section in the new Spring camp dvd set. And I filmed a bunch of stuff for our members forum. But I have not shot a commercial DVD on that yet. We moved my gym to a much bigger location this year and that has taken most of my time. It is still a project for the future.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.