UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> MBA vs. MSA vs. MSEM

7/11/07 8:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
astra
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Jul-07

I'm looking for advice here. I am contemplating going back to school to get my Master's degree. I have a Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering. I have been in the industry for about 12 years. The programs that I have been looking into are: Master's of Business Administration (MBA) from Central Michigan University Master's of Science in Administration (MSA) from Central Michigan University Master's of Science in Engineering Management (MSEM) from Eastern Michigan University The schools are of equal caliber, and I will still be working full time. The pros and cons: MBA – Pros = It's an MBA, possibility of getting out of Engineering all together, Cons = 5-6 prereqs, must take GMAT, will take much longer due to prereqs MSA – Pros = No GMAT, 2 Prereqs that I could possibly get waived, still a Master's degree, Cons = It's not an MBA MSEM – Pros = No prereqs, no GMAT, can start right away, could be beneficial since I am in the field already, Cons = It's not an MBA What say you, OG smart guys?
7/11/07 4:51 PM
Jonwell
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Jul-07
Depends entirely on whether or not you want to get out of engineering, or to what extent you want to get out. Also consider how much money each would earn you- Could you make more by getting an MBA and entering a new field? Is it worth the risk of leaving a field in which you're established? Is your work offering you a good pay raise for both of the science degrees? etc.
8/9/07 8:26 PM
Swelling
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Aug-07
With your background, I'd consider going for a CFA.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.