UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> fight vid

7/16/07 5:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
spc36
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Jul-07

I found this fight video interesting. I noticed that even a trained fighter flinched. The arm bar from the gaurd on the concrete not such a good idea(fight don't grapple). The initial attack from the trained fighter showed the look away glance and good ole haymaker. The guy recieving the haymaker could have greatly benefited from the Spear. I would love to hear other comments on this. http://www.comegetyousome.com/viewvid.php?id=3169
7/19/07 9:02 AM
armory

Edited: 19-Jul-07
HeHe...interesting video. You have to look at this video in context. This was a fight that involved guys who knew each other, the environment was controlled and looked almost exactly as if it were inside a cage for a competition. Neither guy wanted to really hurt the other, not were they intent on doing whatever it took to terminate the risk. So as you look at the video, it was a sport fight outside the cage. Need to be careful by saying "The Spear", or "the outside single.." would have worked here. This was nothing more than 2 guys blowing off some steam in a "fight" that was less than what happens during a training session with friends. Joe
7/19/07 8:38 PM
spc36

Edited: 19-Jul-07
Thanks Joe. I don't understand why suggesting the Spear would be bad? Shane
7/20/07 8:14 AM
armory

Edited: 20-Jul-07
Shane I was not suggesting it was "bad" if used there. If you have the opportunity, rewatch the piece, the guy on the receiving end of the haymaker did flinch and did intercept the intent of the punch. His conversion choice due to his situation was tactically to putting his hands up and moving backwards, intercepting the followup attack. Not being him and being privy to his awareness, proximity, speed of attack, tactical skills etc..... hard to say that technique "A" or "B" was preferred. The Outcome is typically how we grade the response to a "snipe". He didnt eat the punch, he did make some tactical choices that ended up with him coming off relatively unscathed. So it was a win. I just like to be fair and balanced in regards to practicality and integrity in self protection situation. While Tony and his material relative to the SPEAR System and tactic is awesome.....I worry about guys wanting to SPEAR everything. Then what happens is the outside world and its finger pointers start to think that Tonys system is all about 'outside 90' and some Aikido based intercepting move. In the situation caught on tape in that piece, as a student and trainer I always try and consider all of the dynamics of a situation. If I am not mistaken, those guys are either professional or well trained fighters. Their "toolbox" from a cognizant tactical perspective may be more robust than the average persons. That opens up another whole can of worms in these types of discussions. Best Wishes Joe
7/20/07 11:00 AM
Paul R

Edited: 20-Jul-07
Shane, Joe brings up a good point about "wanting to SPEAR everything". We need to remember that the SPEAR tactic is NOT the SPEAR system. Since the system is all about taking our bodies natural flinch response (see the other post on Startle/Flinch response) and converting it into a tactic, there are other options. There may be situations where you flinch and then move into a clinch, or flinch and you're on the attacker with CWCT, etc. In addition, the SPEAR becomes most appropriate (and useful) when the attack is committed (ASAP model). Having said all that, and since the flinch will often bring your hands/arms up in a position that is not far from the SPEAR anyway, it is easier to convert that movement into a SPEAR than it is to try some complex motor skill. Lastly, I always recall what Tony says about "scenario dictates" and "hang out with physiology", in other words: the flinch (and through training also the SPEAR) will always be there for you - the system is self-correcting! Paul Rossi

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.