UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> August Extreme Fight Night II

7/16/07 8:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Combat MMA
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Jul-07 03:37 PM
Fort Bragg Combat MMA

One of our fighters was scheduled to fight on the Augusta Extreme Fight Night Card in Augusta this weekend. The event, run by Mr. Lane Collyer, was the 1st event in Georiga with the new AMT MMA rules. We were contacted about a month ago about our fighter, Joshua Winter, fighting Charles (CJ) Howard, a fighter from Team Ground Zero in Augusta, GA. CJ is former Army and a fellow 11B from our old unit and even same company who was kicked out before we deployed in 2005. We accepted the fight at 170lbs, and Josh got to work cutting and getting ready for the event. We drove 4 hours down to Augusta and showed up at weigh-ins on Friday where Josh came in at 167.5. About a 1/2 hour later CJ shows up and weighs in at 183, over 13 pounds over the weight limit. He explained that he got down to 176 that day but because he did not think he was going to make it, he decided to QUIT, then go eat and drink before weighing in. I knew at this point he was just looking for a way to get out of the fight to save some face. See CJ is a compulsive liar. He lies to his friends and tells them stories to make himself out to be something he is not, such as telling them he is a "Cage Fighter". Anyway, I told him that we would still take the fight if he could make 177 (Still 7 lbs over the agreed weight) anytime between then and fight time in more than 24hrs. His coach, John Oliverio called me about an hour later to explain that he did not want to cut anymore and could not make 177. I talked to my fighter and did not want to see CJ get out of a beating, so we agreed as long as CJ stayed at 183 by 6pm the next day, we would let him fight. John explained CJ was already eating and drinking more, and that they needed 187, this being 17 POUNDS OVER the agreed weight. I finally said okay, knowing that CJ was still going to try to get out of getting in that ring. With all this going on, it is also important to realize that CJ was completely screwing his teammate in the process. If CJ did not fight, his training parter was going to lose his fight as well. Both Team Ground Zero 170lb fighters were on the card, and if CJ did not make weight, they were going to scratch the other Ground Zero fighter and give the fight to Josh. So, fast forward to the next day at 6pm. We arrive and wait for CJ and the Team ground Zero crew. At about 6:30 they come rolling in where CJ weighs in at 192. That is right 192. What a sad excuse. He looks at me and says "I don't play by your rules" for which I replied "Well, you don't fight then". With no honor, with no ability to keep his word, and with no work ethic to keep the weight off he comes in at 22 lbs over the originaly agreed upon weight and still has the balls to complain and tell us we are the ones avoiding him. I explain I will not let my fighter fight a sorry excuse like him giving up 25 pounds. I do agree to let him fight me in the ring though. I have not fought since 04, and I even agreed that I would NOT PUNCH HIM AT ALL and he still would not take the fight against me. I wanted to punch him in the face right then and there to make myself feel better, but decide to refrain. I did the best to keep my cool. We did not penalize his training partner for him being a total loser, and did not take his fight from him. He followed us to the car to shake our hands and thank us. You could see that his coaches and training partners knew what a complete piece they had for a student and so called fighter. It is my understanding that CJ Howard will be suspended from fighting in GA for 1 year. My reason for posting this is to warn you if you come across this fighter in any other state, make sure to avoid setting any fights with him, unless it is at a weight far above 170. He had no honor in the Army and has no honor as a civilian and will not follow thru in his word to make weight. Feel free to stop by and see him anytime in Augusta and tell him he is a loser. www.groundzerofighting.com Jeff Yurk
7/17/07 8:08 AM
rafie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Jul-07 08:14 AM
Jeff Yurk As a former paratrooper, MA Instructor, NCO and MACP Lover I feel sorry for what happen. I really do no know the whole deal or a little bit but the guys told me what happen. Ground Zero coachers I dnt think they are happy in my OPINION becuae I know their profesionalism that they have. Me and my friend volunteer to substitute in a manner but some blood test got to be done. WE asked our purple belt even do i cna not hang with you young boys no more I still whant to perform. Also I got like 25 rum and cokes the nite before. As I right now I think he will not figth tno more in events in GA but we got me and my boy training for anything in the future. Jeff the only think i did not like from your message as a NCO is the comments about how he get out of the army,. Thats is the past and he did he on his life for ever. Matter of Fact iI just find out now Me personally my only drug is called MACP BJJ etc.. you know the deal! LOL Well i just want to put it out there than us we train hard in Ground Zero and personally I trained just in case I need to kick some terrist a.. one day you never know. But even know that you were upset at least ck my hand brother. and my apt is always open for you and your fighters do not need to stay in hotels btother. Hope train with you crew one day Love Rafie PS send me email so i can send you my number senseirafie@yahoo.com
7/17/07 3:37 PM
Combat MMA
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Jul-07
Fort Bragg Combat MMA
Rafie, Agreed on the kicked out thing and the post has been edited to reflect the changes. It is unfortunate all around. I feel for fighters who put in all the hard work to cut, all the hard work to train and then end up not being able to fight because another fighter cannot keep his word. This happens all the time, but in this case it was on purpose and not even close to weight. Thanks for setting me straight. Jeff
7/17/07 5:01 PM
rafie

Edited: 17-Jul-07
Brother I am 100% with you and all what you said. But the bottom line you got one of the best programs in teh Army no doubt I really want to meet ad get some pointers to bring gordon to speed. In Korea was too easy but here we will see with the new POST CO. Anyway I am trying to get in the ring myself but Im 35 but on scared I already loss 6 punds to 166 > Do you have pointers to Keep at 155 after I reach. I m doing Crossfit from www.crossfit.com Hey brother where is your school downtown I got a frnd of mine former pilot that want to train, PS Jeff is all good becuase i was dissapointed too as well other guys in the school. Like I said the may loss one figthers but gain 2 motivated NCOS to bang. Is not about winning is about fighting training and kikincg some behind down range but get me wrng i ll fight to win. when I ever fight I ll love you to be one of my corner... Is a Airborne thing civilians do not understand Rafie
7/19/07 3:24 PM
AsiaI

Edited: 19-Jul-07
Ouch. Don't hold back Jeff, tell us how you really feel. CJ is my teammate but I agree with Yurk. It is unfair to your opponent that you agreed to fight to not make weight. Ground Zero had 3 fighters in this and two of us made weight. You can lead a horse to water.......
7/19/07 3:38 PM
rafie

Asia and Jeff I am already in 165 from 172 going to 155 but I cut in beer and coke. Do not worry I will cut in PR fried food too. Love you Guys! Anything you need Yurk for amy tournament help in 82 let me know
7/19/07 10:21 PM
Combat MMA

Fort Bragg Combat MMA
BJ/Rafie, I am over it now, and even though I should have expected it from CJ, I really thought he would prove that he was better than that and make the weight. It does not matter if it is AMT or not, he made the commitment to make the weight and did not do it. Lots of people don't make weight, so even that is not huge. I gave him so many opportunities, and he was not willing to put forth any effort. None. He was going to happily screw his teammate. He is fortunate that our team here at Bragg has too much integrity to take the other guys fight. Your good people. Rafie is good people. It surprises me that you associate with someone like him. I suppose I know a lot more about his past and his actions than the both of you. You will see with time. Roy Harris always told me "Time will tell, time will tell". Good luck and I will see you both soon. JY
7/20/07 7:17 AM
rafie

Edited: 20-Jul-07
No problem brother. Is nt too many good places to train here and from korea me and BJJ got online combatives affair lol
8/2/07 11:15 AM
ArmyFighter

Edited: 02-Aug-07
I WOULD HAVE FUCKED THAT DUDE UP!!!!! I fucking hate fags that dont make weight.
8/3/07 3:47 PM
Combat MMA

Edited: 03-Aug-07
Fort Bragg Combat MMA
I was pissed at the time as well. I would have gladly dragged him outside and beat the crap out of him...But, it would have been very UN-Paratrooper like of me...
8/6/07 7:37 AM
ArmyFighter

Edited: 06-Aug-07
FCK THAT!!! When I was at Bragg, I've done my fare share of dragging and beating so I know you have it in you to do the same. Two weekends ago, Nate and Keith's fighters both dropped out because they are scared fcking pussies`. Keiths guy actually got in the ring and was all like "my pussy hurts" and dropped out. Nates guy ALMOST got superman punched for dropping out cause he was all scared of Nate. I hate that shit!!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.