UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Question on Startle/Flinch Resp.

7/17/07 3:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
modern
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Jul-07
"Warrior-One" Apparel & Equipment

Hey Tony, I have a question about the startle/flinch response, as it is tied in to the SPEAR system. If it is true that we will ALWAYS go away from a perceived danger, with the flinch response, is the "spear" idea overriding this response? I really like the spear concept, but won't you always move AWAY from the danger initially, not into it? Thanks for any insight, Keven www.warrior-one.com
7/18/07 4:11 AM
ahlong

Edited: 18-Jul-07
Hi Keven, I'm not Tony, but I'll add my 2c. The SPEAR System is the science of converting the kinetic energy created by flinching into a combative tactic. That said, yes the flinch will make you recoil away from the perceived danger - the trick is how early can you recognise that you're flinching and convert it into something tactical (i.e. moving forward to engage the threat)? Hope that helps. Trevor Wilcox PDR Team
7/18/07 7:53 PM
modern

Edited: 18-Jul-07
"Warrior-One" Apparel & Equipment
Thanks Trevor. Keven
7/19/07 10:43 AM
Jonathan Berman

Edited: 19-Jul-07 10:55 AM
Hi Keven, Excellent response by Trevor. The System is based on what happens to you when you are attacked, taking what the body wants to do prior to any training whatsoever, and finding and developing the combative application, hence the conversion process. A way of analyzing one's reaction to an attack is the BTS training model A-SAP. Here's a link to an article explaining it in one of our recent newsletters: http://www.imakenews.com/blauertactical/e_article000701164.cfm? x=b9QPVLg,b1wmRJJm,w Best, Jonathan Berman
7/19/07 5:35 PM
Tony Torres

Edited: 19-Jul-07
Keven, I hope that the above responses help clarify your question. I wanted to add that the SPEAR System drills and skills are designed so that, through a combination of classical and operant conditioning, your startle flinch response becomes a trigger for your tactics. The system never overrides physiology. It embraces it and uses it to the advantage of the defender. Stay safe, Tony Torres BTS
8/12/07 10:28 PM
1st Rnd KO

Edited: 12-Aug-07
"If you were sitting under a tree and suddenly a tiger dropped down beside you, you would flinch, and not be thinking mid-flinch of a combat response." InvisiblePinkUni, Living in upstate NY, is it possible that I will be sitting under a tree and a tiger will drop out of it? I guess it may be possible, but is it probable? Not even close. So why worry about that? Train for the scenarios that you are likely to face. Using Coach Blauers Mental Blueprint Theory, create and train the scenarios you are likely to face in everyday life. This way, your realistic training will allow you to convert the flinch to something tactical much sooner. DB

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.