UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Accounting or Finance degree?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/22/07 10:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mjb85
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jul-07

Any graduates in Finance or Accounting that would recommend one over the other? And which degree is more beneficial to get into an MBA program?
7/29/07 2:26 PM
AaronU
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jul-07
CPA is a definite must to get to the manager or above level in most public accounting firms. Further, public accounting firms won't pay for an MBA because it does not contribute much to the firm. The firms have their own training programs which are great in themselves.
7/29/07 6:37 PM
Mjb85
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jul-07
Would an applicant with a BA in Accounting and a CPA be a better candidate for a "Financial Analyst" and possibly work towards becoming an investment banker, than having an actual finance degree? I have heard that an accounting degree is looked upon greater than a finance degree even in most financial/investing type positions.
8/4/07 3:25 PM
CHEQUEDROPS

Edited: 04-Aug-07
Look up CFA. Chartered Financial Analyst. I've worked in high level finance - for investment management firms. More and more require a CFA to move up, even with an MBA. CFA's are really looked up to. It's not easy, takes 3 years to get (3 levels), but if you have a BA (from a decent university) + your CFA, you're can bet on making good dough.
8/9/07 1:10 PM
Polaris

Edited: 09-Aug-07
I don't know, I'm going for Finance right now but it does appear as though Accounting opens up A LOT more doors and is held in higher regard. I've been debating whether I should switch (don't really want to), or try to double major (which would probably require another semester, and pretty much means I wouldnt be able to take any fun/interesting electives).
8/15/07 6:38 PM
Mjb85

Edited: 15-Aug-07
Would anyone recommend Accounting Information Systems degree over a regular Accounting Degree or vice versa?
9/2/07 8:02 PM
Mjb85

Edited: 02-Sep-07
I know you have to have a certain amount of credits to take the exam But did not know you needed experience to get the CPA
9/10/07 12:59 AM
RawCat

Edited: 10-Sep-07
I have a finance undergrad, just recently certified as a CPA, and will graduate with my MBA in May. IMO, being a CPA will pull more weight than anything.
9/17/07 9:17 AM
El Maquina

Edited: 17-Sep-07
I'm majoring in accounting right now. It's fairly intimidating.
9/17/07 11:42 AM
D3structo
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Sep-07
"I have a finance undergrad, just recently certified as a CPA, and will graduate with my MBA in May. IMO, being a CPA will pull more weight than anything." How difficult is it to become a CPA after majoring in finance? This is something that I'm interested in. Also, how would I go about doing that.
9/26/07 2:25 AM
hakirra

Edited: 26-Sep-07
I'm doing a master's in finance now and was looking into getting a cpa cert on the side, but to even sit for the cpa you have to have had like 7 accounting classes. Going to go with a cfa instead. Taking level one this june.
10/14/07 4:35 PM
RawCat

Edited: 14-Oct-07
D3structo, Just make sure you take upper level accounting courses as electives in your finance program. I live in TX so it's very difficult to get certified here (you have to have 10 upper level accountings). I'm assuming your taking the intermediate accoutings because you are finance, so that will help and knock out 2 of the upper level acct courses.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.