UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Masters Certificate in Translation

7/24/07 7:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mestregruber
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Jul-07

I am interested in becoming a translator, and I found a program near me where I can earn a "Masters Certificate." It's not a Masters degree, but it is graduate level. It's a new program at a very reputable private university. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this kind of professional certificate, and if they have found them worthwhile. I would be investing a significant amount of money in this program, so I don't want to do it if I am better off just trying to be a translator on my own. I'm interested in doing it because I have little translation experience, but my language skills are pretty good, and it can be hard to find work if you don't have experience.
7/25/07 12:55 AM
FiatLux
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Jul-07
I don't think the certificate is going to grab anyone's attention. Isn't only about 4-8 classes? So maybe less than a full year of school? You might look at doing graduate language work or area studies.
7/25/07 11:10 AM
mestregruber
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Jul-07
It is 6 classes, but they deal specifically with translation theory, translation software, etc. I will also be taking the highest level proficiency exam for my language. My BA is in area studies, too.
7/29/07 12:58 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 29-Jul-07
What kind of translation are you planning to do?
7/30/07 6:17 AM
BarkLikeADog

Edited: 30-Jul-07
Not my field, but just from what you've said, the program is geared toward jobs where you'll be working on translation systems & not actual translating. FWIW. I'd say no. Go to where the jobs are & build your experience.
7/30/07 11:34 AM
mestregruber

Translation systems? I'm not even sure what you mean by this. I hope to work in the gaming industry and the legal industry. I don't want to leave my current state of residence, if I can avoid it, and a great deal of translation work is done via telecommuting.
7/30/07 12:26 PM
BarkLikeADog

e.g. working with artificial intelligence, software coders, etc., to develop translation systems, or building/improving physical systems for, say, United Nations, or whatever. In other words, not what you want to do.
7/31/07 6:40 PM
mestregruber

Edited: 31-Jul-07
This program has nothing to do with that stuff. By "Translation software" I meant translation memory tools and other programs that translators use to aid them, like Trados, for example.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.