UnderGround Forums

TattooGround >> Samboboy Tattoo Story???

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/27/07 7:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Baki
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Jul-07

Does anyone have the link, or could point me in the direction, of the story/article that Samboboy wrote about getting tattooed in Thailand? Any help is appreciated, R.
8/3/07 1:54 AM
alphafemale
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Aug-07
I'll tell him to post... :)
8/5/07 11:19 PM
Baki
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Aug-07
Thank you....I appreciate it.
8/24/07 1:23 AM
alphafemale

Edited: 24-Aug-07
ok, for real...it's coming....
8/24/07 1:32 AM
alphafemale

Edited: 24-Aug-07
Pain, excruciating pain. Well I finally reached the limits of tattoo pain when I went out and got a "magic" Thai tattoo. I could not have chosen a any worse a time to get tattooed, the night before a group of us went out for dinner and I ended up getting sick on some bad meat, I have not felt that bad or thrown up that much for years, it was truly horrific. I spent the night vomiting and wishing I were dead. What made it worse was I knew that I would have to get tattooed the following morning. After suffering through the night I headed of at around 10:30 to meet some friends of mine and head of to visit Tawin my boxing coach who would be taking us to see the holy man. We rode for about 30 minutes outside of the city as the people started to be replaced by water buffalo and the buildings became fewer and fewer. We rode in between rice patties, the sun beating down on us all the time. Finally we turned down a small lane and eventually reached a tradition Thai hut, wooden and built on stilts so as not to get washed away when the floods came it was a small and surrounded with chickens and other live stock. There to greet us was the holy man, about forty years old dressed in a light shirt and 3 quarter length pants, he was covered in Tattoo's the only part of him not covered was the space between his nose and forehead, even his fingers, toes and throat were covered. His wife was there as well she was strikingly beautiful and noticeably absent of any tattoo's. He led us into his simple hut, which was dominated by a large alter on which there were numerous magic amulets, pictures of monks, Pali scrolls and jars of mysterious ointments. The tattoo sticks he would be using today were wrapped in pieces of a monks robe and the walls of his hut were covered in draperies bearing traditional Thai tattoo imagery, much like a modern tattoo shop has pictures on the wall to make the choosing of a design easier. I chose the Lion known in Thai as "Singha" a symbol of bravery and cunning. The holy man had other plans though and told me he would not tattoo it on me as the magic wasn't good for me. Instead he decided to give me Hanuman the Hindu monkey god, I soon realized I had little choice in this whole endeavor. The Hanuman was to protect me in four ways, against illness, against being shot, against being cut, and to give me courage. Along with the tattoo came few rules that I had to follow to keep the magic strong. Women were not to touch my head or rub my hair, I could not walk under a clothesline and as Hanuman was a monkey god and lived in the trees, when with women I had to stay up high and not go down if you know what I mean. If I broke any of these rules I would have to get re blessed. It started by having the holy man chant. It was low and mumbled almost ominous sounding. When he was finished he lit three sticks of incense, two white candles, and picked up a bowl containing flowers, gold, and a pack of cigarettes. I placed my offering into the bowl 999 Thai baht and then he had me hold the bowl in my hands briefly. He took it back and placed it on the alter. The ink he would be using was standard pen ink, not like the special tattoo ink professionals use back home. I was glad to see he placed some ink in a small cap which meant he would not be drawing the ink directly from the bottle which meant less chance of infection. The sticks he would be using were long copper tubes about 1 foot and a half in length with a small lip half way down on which he would brace his fingers. The needles themselves were neatly arranged much the same as western tattoo needles, they were secured by tightly wound thread and before he began he dipped the thread in wax to for a tight barrier and to stop them from being stained by the ink. I took off my shirt and he spent some time admiring my tattoo's especially the chrysanthemum on my chest. I sat hunched over on the hard wooden floor and we began. I have tattoos on pretty much every part of my body, legs, arms, chest, back. I have been tattooed in some places deemed "painful" yet nothing could have prepared me for what was about to happen. I thought I was ready, oh how I was wrong. Pain is a funny thing you think it can't possibly be get any worse then it does. It didn't feel like a tattoo, it felt like I was being hammered with spikes. Every hit of the needles felt like a stab wound. All I could do was be amazed at how much it hurt and how time seemed to have stood still. Sitting there in that hut in the back woods of Thailand, hunched over on the hard wooden floor it was the first time I really thought I may not be able to sit through the whole thing, but in the end I did. For three and half hours I sat there as my back was hammered and hammered again. He seemed to work in no real order, except for saving the head for last as is Buddhist tradition. Once the Hanuman was done he finished up by writing the magic spell in ancient Khmer that would seal the tattoo, that writing was the worst part a constant pain without end. Finally we were done. He had me face the alter, clasp my hands as if in prayer and he began to chant again. As he did so he smeared magic balm over my back and drew sacred symbols with his fingers. Then with a final blow of breath on my back it was done. As for how the tattoo looks, it is neither crisp nor sharp, it is a jumble of shaky lines and murky detail, I am sure it will fade away someday, but all the same it is exactly what I wanted. That night I dreamt of pain and of monkey Gods. - Marc Scott.
8/25/07 10:50 AM
LeftBench
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Aug-07
that sounds terrible. lol
8/29/07 7:52 AM
Opash

Edited: 29-Aug-07
Last time I was in Thailand and somebody mentioned wanting to get such a tat, the coaches told them they would be crazy to and best not. Not least of all because they use the same needle things to do everybody and there sterilisation process is suspect at best.
8/30/07 11:21 PM
Baki

Edited: 30-Aug-07
Thank you so much for posting it.... I really appreciate it. It does cause one to doubt if one would ever really want a "magic" tattoo...lol... Thanks again....
9/4/07 7:11 PM
WizzleTeats

Edited: 04-Sep-07
A few of my friends have them. They all tell the same story as above. Well, no barfing, but it is apparently excruciating. It's also very unsanitary. No thanks, although I love the way the traditional Thai tats look.
9/6/07 5:30 PM
alphafemale

Edited: 06-Sep-07
Actually, there are pics! The first time I saw it, I thought it was pretty cool, considering the process. I think it came out great. Also, the holy man that Marc went to was fast, great tattooing ability compared what he'd seen on others and apparently had great Juju...lol I'll upload and post
10/27/07 5:21 PM
kalki

Edited: 27-Oct-07
JIA HANUMAN.....i would really love to see this tattoo..because hanuman is my ishtadevi and was think'n of one on my back........(:
10/28/07 3:55 PM
alphafemale

Edited: 28-Oct-07
ok ok! I'll post....!
10/30/07 10:03 PM
alphafemale

Edited: 30-Oct-07 09:07 PM
This is a little blurry because I took it with my cam-phone....but you guys get the picture.. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
10/31/07 12:16 AM
MarioB

Edited: 31-Oct-07
Awesome story.
11/1/07 1:04 PM
Posty Magee
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Nov-07
ttt

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.