UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Help w/ transferring video to comp

7/29/07 8:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EasyTapper
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jul-07

I have a Sony DCR-HC40 digital camcorder. I'm looking to transfer video from the digital tapes to my computer. The supplied software doesn't work, and I'm looking for other solutions/software. Anyone have any suggestions/help?
7/30/07 8:24 AM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Jul-07
I don't have enough time to look up what software comes with it, but what happens when you follow directions? Where's the problem? You can capture in realtime from most decent editing suites (finalcut/avid/pinnacle/etc.), & a lot of crappy ones, but you need the appropriate capture port (USB2/Firewire/etc.). Worst case scenario, you can get a capture card or a combo card which will come with the right tools. I have an All-in-Wonder, which does the trick whenever the camera comes with slop, but a Dazzle or whatever will work fine. The right answer for you is also dependent on your platform (mac/pc).
7/30/07 9:30 PM
EasyTapper
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Jul-07
ok. I'm using a laptop and a USB port. The camera software suite is Picture Package. The video played on my comp for a second then I lost it. Now it doesn't play, and there's no source to choose from, etc. I hope this helps you help me. lol
7/31/07 1:29 PM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Jul-07
Sounds like a hardware problem. Is it a USB2 port, or just USB? Does it connect with anything else? That's where I'd start.
7/31/07 3:18 PM
EasyTapper

Edited: 31-Jul-07
Not sure which type of USB port it is. It does work though for other applitcations/uses (ie ipod, etc). I am now able to get the camera to stream to the computer via the Picture Package software, but don't know how to capture it. Any ideas?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.