UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Physicians in the Military

8/1/07 10:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MDBJJC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Aug-07

I was wondering for those who have a medical degree and have finished a residency in anesthesia. What are the options? Is it possible to join the marines or are you associated with the Navy. Are there "high speed" infantry options for those with MDs (could one go to Ranger school)?
8/4/07 11:15 AM
TrappeBier
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Aug-07
This if for the Army. It is very very hard for a marine officer to get a Ranger school slot. If you want to be infantry you would have to do basic, then OCS, and then try to get infantry. You would not have a guarente. You would enlist as a SPC and then become a 2LT after OCS. If you want to be a doctor you come right in as a CPT and do like a 4 week officer basic course. If you go Infantry you get a slot to ranger school. If you are another combat arms branch (Armor, Field Artillery) you have a good chance to get one. If you are anything else you have a small chance to get a slot.
8/4/07 9:38 PM
MDBJJC

Thanks for the reply. Just to let you know. I will be finishing my residency and am interested in joining the military for some time. I want to pay off some of my loans, but I also want to do some interesting work as well. I have heard that physicians are considered non-combatants and are more likely sent to the hospitals. The actual likelihood of getting an infantry spot I heard is very difficult for a physician since our skills are needed in the hospital. Just wondering if any others have any insight into this dilemma. I have always wanted to join the infantry, but I don't know what the chances are for a person like me.
8/4/07 10:15 PM
Combat MMA
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fort Bragg Combat MMA

"I have heard that physicians are considered non-combatants"

You have heard wrong.

"I have always wanted to join the infantry, but I don't know what the chances are for a person like me."

Not exactly sure where you are going with the "person like me" part, but yes, if you are up to standard, you will be allowed to join the Infantry.

8/4/07 11:07 PM
MDBJJC

"Person like me" was not a ho-hum, shucks-golly statement. I was just referring to my situation as a physician...i.e. possible "non-combatant" status. The information I received was clearly wrong. Combat MMA, do you know of any physicians that are in the infantry? Are you in the infantry? Thanks
8/4/07 11:17 PM
Combat MMA
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fort Bragg Combat MMA
I am in the Infantry. It can be the greatest job in the Army. Depends on exactly what you are asking as far as physicians in the Infantry... 1) I know of a couple guys with MD's that Enlisted and are in the Infantry. They are 11B's, coming into the Army as E-4's. They do not have any type of medical job, only Infantry. 2) The we have the guys that came in as Officers, and are PA's that are attached to Infantry Unit's spend most of the time on the FOB, though some of the high speed guys tend to seek out opportunities to get out into the environment and move with the 11B's whenever possible. 3) Last you have the Commissioned Physicians. I do not have any experience with them in an Infantry Unit. Much of the contact I had with them was at the local FOB hospitals, back in the rear at hospitals, etc. All 3 are great options, depending on what you want to do. Good Luck. JY
8/7/07 12:15 PM
grambo

Edited: 07-Aug-07
You could always go the Army SF route. They have a spot for medics on their teams.
8/7/07 2:33 PM
MDBJJC

Very good information. Grambo, Sounds pretty simple. I'll just "sign up" with the Special Forces. Just a pen stroke away from a green beret. In all seriousness, the SF line of work reads on paper as some of the most interesting work in the military. Something to consider. What about opportunities with the marines? Anybody have information on physicians in this branch of the military?
8/7/07 10:54 PM
jfrank
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are no medical MOS for the Marine Corps. All medical staff for the Marines are Navy personnel.
8/8/07 11:52 AM
grambo

Edited: 08-Aug-07
Why did you reference "just signing up" so pretentiously? Do you feel in no way you have what it takes to make it? Forgive me if I wrongly assumed your competence. Well, here's a link with info about signing up for SF if you change your mind: http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=344
8/23/07 7:23 PM
MDBJJC

Edited: 23-Aug-07
Instead of enlisting you think I should become an officer in the infantry?
8/23/07 7:32 PM
Combat MMA

Edited: 23-Aug-07
Fort Bragg Combat MMA
"LOL at a doc going through bootcamp with kids who didn't graduate high school.

Whatever you do, DONT ENLIST. A person of your status doesn't belong there."

Brilliant post. I am curious to your expert experience on the matter. Yeah, those losers that enlist...

8/23/07 11:07 PM
Combat MMA

Edited: 23-Aug-07 11:11 PM
Fort Bragg Combat MMA

Soi,

I give you the "brilliant post" for this reason...

I am not going to give you a life history, but I can tell you that many of the finest Officers I have met in the Army have been prior enlisted. Enlisting in the Army does not equal being uneducated, an idiot, etc.

Your generalization that all enlistees are going to be young, immature, and uneducated is far off base and without merit.

8/24/07 6:56 AM
gryfen

Edited: 24-Aug-07 07:02 AM

"overwhelming majority of guys are 18-20 with as little as a GED"

I agree that we can presume a high level of maturity from someone with an advanced college degree.  

However:

Not everyone with a HS diploma or less has spent the years of their majority sitting on their asses in front of ‘daddy’s TV’.  The absence of formal education is an indirect marker at best.

8/24/07 2:17 PM
gryfen

Edited: 24-Aug-07
SoiCoWbOy:
Quote: “if I felt that out of place in Air Force Boot Camp, the original poster will be in worse shape in Army bootcamp…”
If your bearing in person matches the tone of your posts, I agree. You would most definitely have been out of place in Army Basic Training. But not everyone will share your affliction.
Men of stature, who deserve respect, will get it. 
Never mind the letters behind your name. If you’ve got your shit wired tight you can expect a few things:
1-Your superiors will notice, and place you in progressively greater positions of responsibility.
2-The Joes will notice, and follow you.
3-You will be respected.
A condescending attitude will quickly derail all three.   
While my time working with Airmen has been equally positive, it has also been limited in duration. I will not presume to speak for another service. Maybe there are some Airmen around here who would care to weigh in.
MDBJJC: Regardless or your final decision; you have my best wishes…..Get-Some!
Gryfen out.
8/25/07 12:29 PM
mrchips

Edited: 25-Aug-07 12:37 PM
From: 27th Infantry Division Office of the Commanding General Fort Ord, California 27 February 1942 To: The Honorable Clinton P. Anderson, M.C., House of Representatives Dear Mr. Anderson: Your letter of February 17, to the Adjutant General, concerning Private Robert H. Lister, Company A, 165th Infantry, has been sent to me. You state: "I am wondering if there has been some mistake in his assignment to Fort Ord. "Robert Lister has had a fine education, has a Masters Degree, is about ready for a Doctor's Degree, is an expert Spanish student, a skilled archaeologist, and has been an instructor at the University of New Mexico." In this division of 22,000 men, I receive many letters similar to yours from parents, relatives, friends and sweethearts. They do not understand why the man who had a good law practice at home cannot be in the Judge Advocate General's Department, why the drug store manager cannot work in the post hospital, why the school teacher cannot be used in educational work. They are all willing for someone else to do the hard, dirty work of the fighting man so long as the one they are interested in can be spared that duty. If doctors in the future are to have the privilege of practicing their profession, if archaeologists are to investigate antiquity, if students are to have the privilege of taking degrees, and professors the privilege of teaching in their own way, somebody must march and fight and bleed and die and I know no reason why students, doctors, professors, and archaeologists shouldn't do their share of it. You say, "It strikes me as too bad to take that type of education and bury it in a rifle squad," as though there were something low or mean or servile being a member of a rifle squad and only morons and ditch diggers should be given such duty. I know of no place red blooded men of intelligence and initiative are more needed than in the rifle or weapons squad. In this capacity, full recognition is given to the placing of men so that they may do the work most beneficial to the unit of which they are a part. Whenever men are needed for a particular duty, the records of all men having the required skills and qualifications are considered. I have examined the records of Private Lister and it is fairly complete. I know he holds the 100-yard dash and broad jump records in the Border Conference; that he was president of his fraternity; that his mother was born in Alabama and his father in Michigan, that his father lives at the Burlington Hotel in Washington and I suspect asked you to do what you could to get his son on other duty. It is desirable that all men, regardless of their specialty, shall learn by doing; how hard it is to march with a pack for 20 miles; how to hold their own in bayonet combat; and how to respect the man who really takes it, namely the private in the rifle squad. If Private Lister has special qualifications for intelligence duty, he will be considered when a vacancy occurs in a regimental, brigade, or division intelligence section. You can't keep a good man down in the Army for long. Every commander is anxious to get hold of men with imagination, intelligence, initiative, and drive. Because you may think I'm a pretty good distance from a rifle squad, I should like to tell you I have a son on Bataan peninsula. All I know of him is that he was wounded on January 19. I hope he is back there by now where the rifle squads are taking it, and I wish I were beside him there. I have written you this long letter because in your high position you exercise a large influence on what people think and the way they regard the Army. It is necessary for them to understand men must do that which best helps to win the war and often that is not the same as what they do best. Sincerely yours, RALPH T. McPERNELL Brig Gen, USA Commanding
8/25/07 12:43 PM
Combat MMA

Edited: 25-Aug-07
Fort Bragg Combat MMA

Excellent post.

The letter puts the entire thread in perfect context!

8/26/07 11:56 PM
MDBJJC

Edited: 26-Aug-07
Great comments. Thanks for the words of encouragements.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.