UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Music Video Production

8/3/07 12:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mf doom
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Aug-07

Hey guys, I'm looking to break into this industry. I'll be moving to L.A. by Feb next year and although I'm just starting I figure by then I'll have built a portfolio of my own music videos I made with local artists and also various film scripts. I see that making contacts will be a big part of this as well. Any other things you guys think I should look into and be aware of? Any resources to read? Thanks
8/3/07 11:51 AM
Gorgeous

You hit the edit botton on the beat.
8/3/07 1:28 PM
JOB
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What sort of background have you? Have you any experience in production? If you're trying to be independent, it's hard - you'll end up doing ALOT of the work yourself. Setting up lighting, sound, editing, shooting, correction - the works! It's a fucking nightmare :(
8/4/07 12:19 AM
mf doom

Edited: 04-Aug-07
I have absolutely no experience except the desire to do it :) I'm not necessarily trying to be independant - it just seems I'll have to be that way to initially get my work produced in the first place, I'll always be opened to being signed up. Is there any information about the business side too?
8/4/07 6:10 AM
JOB
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Aug-07
I'd highly recommend you attend a course or college or something to get your lips wet. They will cover both the production and business sides of things. Esentially when you start out, you will typically start shooting anything and everything to get your name out and to give you experience with the production and post production. This includes weddings, festivals, whatever.. There is an awful amount of work for a shoot for anything, and a music video even more so. You'll need to setup lighting, arrange the sound correctly, lip-sync, colour correct, and edit.. It's alot harder than it might seem. Then trying to get a budget for all the equipment you'll need to shoot.. Look for a production course close to you. At the end, they will typically give you and a few classmates a project to complete. It will give you a better understanding of the production process.
8/9/07 3:27 PM
BzGrappla

Edited: 09-Aug-07
I know my cousin is mr. music procution dude and he moved to l.a. i know he is attending a school down their for music production and working at a bank in the mean time. He has a couple interviews this week for post production music, but not for videos
9/5/07 3:45 AM
mf doom

Edited: 05-Sep-07
Thanks guys for all your responses. Just a quick update so you have an idea of where I'm at - I rented out the PD150 for the weekend and ended up shooting my friends video clip at random locations in the city. Learnt a lot about exposure and lighting, getting people organized and everything like that - on such a small scale and it was still exhausting and gruelling - but VERY exciting at the same time. Currently in the process of upgrading my computer and learning how to use Pinnacle to add some more professionalism to it all. Only used the tripod for one shot so a lot of it isn't too steady but I'll definetely upload the youtube link here when I am done. Always open to suggestions and help. JOB: Thanks for the advice. "They will cover both the production and business sides of things." = that would be incredibly valuable advice to me. The thing is I don't want to go back to school for a few reasons - Money & Time being the main factor. Time even more important. There has to be other resources that can help me out while I'm still here in Australia... books, videos, seminars, particular types of jobs etc. I've hooked up with a film student and I'll be heading out to his video shoot soon. I prefer to be responsible to learn for myself and I think just going and doing it without all the beuracracy would be the most efficient. But I may be wrong. BzGrappla: Awesome dude. Wish your brother the best. Would be interested in hearing how he goes. I'ld love to be the vehicle which helps increase exposure to my friends who produce music too. I plan to move to LA for a while myself as well. Already In Use: It can't have been that bad? I thought mine was great. I'm not that professional myself yet but I'm learning how to make them. I don't really know how the industry works - if I can make real good pay getting hired by a record label then I'ld do that, otherwise I'ld go out on my own as a contractor and do it myself. And wouldn't all those costs come under my asking price anyway? Or at least when I do it it would be... By the way, do you have a link to your video or anything? Once again, much appreciated for the responses guys! Thanks.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.