UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Geocaching....questions.

8/8/07 2:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jimrosefan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Aug-07

i'm thinking about getting a gps and trying my luck at it. i have a 6yo son that loves camping and i thought this would provide us some entertainment and possible some day trips if we really like it. my questions: can anyone suggest a cheaper gps unit? what other items are essential? keep in mind i will not be climbing sheer cliffs or diving to the bottom of lakes, i will be taking my 6yo son with me. how accurate are the ratings on geocaching.com as far as difficulty? i'm wondering if i can trust that if i start out looking for one that says it's realitively easy to find that i will indeed be able to find it except for my own blindness and ineptitude.
8/8/07 2:26 PM
balloon knotter
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

geocacher here. the ratings are usually pretty good, as good as the person who posted them anyway. read the posts on the caches to get an idea of what others have experienced. avoid puzzle caches to start with and multi-caches. they tend to be complicated. use a mapping program to see the terrain before you go. any cheap gps should do. i bought last years models on close out and got a decent unit. i think most of the models out there now would be usable. i like the magellans, although the first i got (a 330) seems more accurate than the newer meridian i bought. i haven't used any other brand, but i think for caching most are decent. stick to 1/2 ratings to start, find caches that have been found recently and try to find some in local parks and such before heading out into the wild looking for 4/5 rated caches. most of the stuff you find is junk, so don't expect to find riches. most of the fun we have is getting to out of the way places and places we wouldn't have found otherwise. we have been doing weird nj caches and wrecks. we've found jet fighters in the woods, abandoned trains, buildings, mines, old cars and trucks, etc. we've gotten away from simple boxes hidden somewhere to "destination caches" where the location is the main attraction, not the cache itself
8/8/07 2:36 PM
jimrosefan

"we have been doing weird nj caches and wrecks. we've found jet fighters in the woods, abandoned trains, buildings, mines, old cars and trucks, etc. we've gotten away from simple boxes hidden somewhere to "destination caches" where the location is the main attraction, not the cache itself" that's exactly the kind of stuff i would like to do. i would probably do a variety though as i'm sure my son would dig the finding "treasure" part to be cool, at least at first. would you suggest any other equipment that you would consider necessary? aside from regular hiking stuff (water, bug spray, snacks). my plan is to do most of mine in state parks in minnesota. usually the terain isn't insane and there are trails everywhere.
8/8/07 2:41 PM
Isaac298

i did it for the first time this summer and i have to admit its really fucking fun. The only hiking equipment we brought was ourselves, two trackers and the instructions to get to the tressure. I left behind a starbucks card, and took a GIT ER DONE sticker. It was really fun.
8/8/07 2:43 PM
balloon knotter
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

either bring the printed pages, or enter the info in your gps. the clues can salvage a trip if you can't find the cache. bring some trade stuff. i usually throw in kids stuff or camping/hiking stuff from walmart to trade. i usually carry a notepad, pen, plastic sandwich bags, etc. to do "first aid" on caches. sometimes the logs are full, or gone, as are the pens/pencils. if it looks like water is getting in i'll put stuff in bags so it doens't get ruined. i also bring plastic shopping bags and sometimes pick up trash on the way out. i always bring my camera, lots of cool stuff out there. with a little kid, i'd open the caches in case there's anything weird in there. i know people have found weed, liquor, condoms, etc in caches that was put there by non-cachers. i've never seen anything really weird or gross, but i know others have.
8/8/07 3:37 PM
jimrosefan

excellent ideas. i've been reading the forums on geocaching.com for ideas too. i think it's going to be a good way to get outside for a few hours and spend time with the family...good or bad as that may be.
8/25/08 6:01 PM
balloon knotter

you ttt a year old thread and all you have to say is "interesting"?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.