UnderGround Forums

Jen >> Different kinds of strength

8/10/07 5:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sayonaisse
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Aug-07

Bolo- I've heard you talk about how there are different kinds of strength. There's powerlifting strength, and there's explosive strength, and you talked about odd strength like seeing a 65 year old woman hold a complex yoga move that took a different type of strength that even a healthy BJJ'er wouldn't be able to do without a lot of practice. I wonder if you could elaborate any more thoughts you have had on the subject. It comes up in my mind recently because I saw this vid on gymnastics and was wondering if this type of strength has any relavancy to combat sport, or grappling. http://youtube.com/watch?v=77QLzF3r1sk
8/11/07 2:48 AM
Bolo

Edited: 11-Aug-07
Let's say that you could magically attain all the attributes of either a powerlifter, yoga master, or gymnast, which would you pick? I would pick the gymnast. Why? Because the gymnast would have the greatest number of developed attributes- static strength, explosiveness, balance, coordination, body control, body awareness in 3-D space, flexibility, speed, etc... Due to having a greater number of attributes developed, I would be able to have greater success in a greater number of different physical activities. Now I am not saying that we all need to be gymnasts. What I am saying is that strength, or any single attribute, alone is not the greatest factor in giving a person an advantage in most sports. It is the combination of ALL attributes that is the greatest factor. For example, strength in BJJ means very little if you have no balance or no endurance. In my personal opinion, it is important to develop all attributes equally. In many instances, when one attribute is overdeveloped, there other attributes tend to suffer. For example, have you noticed that many of the most muscular guys you know tend to also be some of the least flexible? Remember it is the better athlete that will do better in athletics (and remember that maritial arts is simply an athletic endeavor). It is not the strongest guy will do better in athletics. Strength is only one aspect of athleticism. I no longer tell people that they need to do strength and conditioning training. I tell people they need to improve their athleticism.
8/11/07 2:48 PM
ams
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Aug-07
Let's say that you could magically attain all the attributes of either a powerlifter, yoga master, or gymnast, which would you pick? I would pick the gymnast. Ok, but who would be your second choice?
8/12/07 4:12 PM
m.g
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Aug-07 04:21 PM
What Bolo stated in his post I've been saying for years, particularly the principle that Bjj (along with all other martial arts and combat sports) is essentially an athletic endeavor. Actually, better stated, Bjj is a physical activity, that is it is something one does with their body. One of the best ways to develop ones physical attributes equally as well as develop many different types of strength is to participate in many different activities and sports on a regular basis. Believe it or not this was one of the great secrets for the success of athletes of the old Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc countries. The athletes of the old Soviet Union would go through a process of athletic development that progress from general to specific. Each athlete would spend years developing their athleticism and physical attributes through general activities and then continue to more specific things such as their career sport. Also even when they did reach the point where they were focusing specifically on their career sport each athlete would STILL spend a fair amount of time participating in other unrelated sports. These unrelated sports were used as general warmups or cool downs or active rest. These unrelated sports were also used to stimulate or challenge various physical attributes in a way that was different than use in their career sport. For example soccer and basketball were used to develop footwork, lateral movement, hand-eye or foot-eye coordination. spatial awareness etc. Basic tumbling and gymnastic was used to develop balance, different types of strength, flexibility etc. Various track and field sports were used to develop explosiveness, endurance, agility etc. My point is the best way to improve athleticism is to engage, regularly, in many different sports and activities. Incidently this is NOT too hard. In fact this was once very common in the United States. Many athletes, particularly some professional athletes, played and participated in many sports in high school as well as college. Heck alot of coaches USE TO actually coach more than one sport. But specialization has some what killed that practice. Relson use to divide his time between play beach soccer, surfing and jiujitsu. Supposedly, according to an old interview, he would spend hours on all three. I like to spend my time doing running, jump roping, playing basketball and doing Bjj/judo.
8/12/07 5:49 PM
Bolo

Edited: 12-Aug-07
ams, If I had to choose a second, it would be the yoga master. However, by saying that, keep in mind that I am not saying that people need to go out and do yoga. My statement is solely in response to the hypothetic situation in choosing been that and the powerlifter. Remember that developing and excessive amount of a one or a few attributes often causes other attributes to suffer. For example, the women I know who have been doing yoga for a very long time and who are very good at it tend to be extremely slow when it comes to their ability to sprint (I'm not saying that yoga makes you slow, but rather that all they did was yoga and neglected working on other attributes).
8/24/07 8:23 PM
dutchman

Edited: 24-Aug-07
having spent time in amsterdam training under the former iranian wrestling coach freestyle, and a sovier greco roman coach.. Both used basket ball as a warming up. I know that yoshida plays baseball.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.