UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> 9mm vs .40

8/13/07 6:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
snaphook
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Aug-07

trying to decide between calibers here... I will be using primarily for range shooting, but I don't have a home defense gun either so it will be in my gunsafe next to my bed. I hear people talking about the 9mm is not enought of a man stopper. others say it is plenty especially with hollow point ammo. oh Im' looking at a glocks mostly
8/13/07 8:10 PM
Skpotamus
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Sep-07 02:23 PM
"Knock down power" has been pretty much debunked as a myth when handguns are concerned. The incapacitating factors of a gunshot wound are organ damage, blood loss and psychological effect. Organ damage and blood loss being the only ones you can control really. Since the psychological effect of being shot differs from person to person, even animal to animal. If you convert the 9mm and .40cal rounds to the same measurement system, you get .355" and .40" In metric, it's 9mm vs 10mm. While you do get a slightly bigger wound with a .40/10mm, it's not going to make enough of a difference to even be noticable in blood loss or organ damage. If you add in top quality hollow points or frangible ammo, Speer GoldDots, Remington Golden Saber, Hornaday TAP, etc, you have a good chance of getting the round to expand, making the hole slightly larger, but even if it doubles in size, a .80" hole is still a smaller cut than most of us have received at some point in our lives, and the blood loss can take quite a long time to take effect. The real trick to making a handgun work well for self defense is to put that little hole in the right spot, like the heart, lungs, brain, etc. If you want a guaranteed instant stop, you're going to need a shot to the brainstem. Now, price wise, the 9mm is quite a bit cheaper than .40 cal. You're looking at a $5-6/100rnds difference Now, all that being said, carry what you're comfortable with. If you prefer the .40, carry it. If you are comfortable with the 9mm and it's "reputation" from gunstore commandos for poor performance, then by all means carry it. Just practice with whatever you choose and rely on your skill. Just make sure you don't get a caliber you can't shoot fast, accurately and one handed. An interesting side note, most of Europe carries a 9mm WITHOUT hollowpoints, and most large PD's in the US use 9mm's. By large I mean, new York, LAPD, etc (the depts that you'd expect to get into the most shootings). All that being said, I still carry my .45 acp glock. Why? Because I grew up shooting a 45 and I just plain like it! Although I did carry my glock 19(9mm) for quite a while.
8/13/07 9:00 PM
snaphook
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Aug-07
thanks for the info... I did some research on other gun forums and got lots of the same info and a lot of BS too it seems. I think I'll stick with my 1st thought and that was the 9mm. I like the cheap ammo, I'm a rookie shooter and it seems to be a good starter caliber from what i've heard.
8/14/07 2:34 AM
Skpotamus
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Aug-07
Whichever you choose, you should get some training. Don't do what most of us did and try to teach ourselves for a few months, or years, and then have to learn the right way to do it from a shooting coach. Check the NRA's website for trainers around your area.
8/14/07 3:41 PM
snaphook

Edited: 14-Aug-07
Ok I look into that, I belive the range I live near has a bunch of different training classes and even 1 on 1 traning. spendy though (kinda like BJJ privates!)
8/15/07 2:45 AM
mrarmbar2you
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Aug-07
nothing wrong with 9mm, I still have a shitload of 9mm ammo left from my last glock, now that only means my next pistol must be 9mm. Can't waste any ammo!
8/15/07 12:37 PM
psychoslasher
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Aug-07
If you don't have lots of shooting experience, 9mm certainly will have lighter recoil.
9/4/07 11:11 AM
Açaí

Edited: 04-Sep-07
good thread!
9/4/07 2:54 PM
snaphook

I got my weapon of choice about 2 weeks ago. I went with the Glock 17 9mm. I've shot it at the local range a few times and I'm pleased with the choice. For a rookie shooter I was able to pretty much point and shoot at 21ft and 50 ft. I didn't try any farther then that. I really like the ease of cleaning and striping the gun. it feels nice in my hand and I'm fairly confident I could use it quickly in a stress situation.
9/4/07 11:19 PM
armlok
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Given the choice b/w the 9mm and .40S&W I'd take the 9mm for the ammo availability, cost, etc. If teaching a newbie, teen or female and my primary choice of .45 is to much then again a 9mm. My preference for the .45 is based upon the mass doctrine....:P I made that name up (I think??)! A .40 was a compromise round IIRC from back in the 80s when the original 10mm came out, etc. God the 10mm was a real kick in the ass when it first came out!!! I said to myself what a carbine round! Been a long time and I might have it wrong, I can barely remember what I ate for lunch. Anyway, according to the mass doctrine a heavier bullet is better at causing blunt trauma. The way I heard it explained was a bullet basically relies upon blunt trauma, with some accompanying (ummm for lack of a better word that I can think of)cutting action by way of the bullet jacket/fragmentation. Obviously there is a point of diminishing returns in regards to mass and velocity and it's been a long time since I had researched this kind of info, but I came to the conclusion that for an auto the .45 ACP loaded with 185gr HP was an excellent choice, though some still preferred the 230gr. If the 9mm is preferred, then IIRC the 127gr round was the top choice. Looking at it from a hunting standpoint/experience I've been more impressed by heavier and larger diameter bullets performance on animals than lighter and smaller diameter bullets. Then again,who cares. Shoot what you like and can handle skillfully. Bullet placement is what counts, that and the mass of the gun itself......for when you run dry and have to beat the hell out your attacker. :D IIRC 9mm is cheapest and most easily available. I'm old and like Skopotamus, I grew up shooting .45, so maybe i read,accepted, etc what fit into my own preferences and with firearms preferences/perceptions are really hard to shake.
9/10/07 7:40 PM
EntryTeam

Edited: 10-Sep-07

When you put two in their heart and one in their brain they won't really care what caliber it is.

Get what you shoot well and practice with it.

10/3/07 10:18 PM
swmnbjjer1

Edited: 03-Oct-07
yo entry team funny you say that, i have a sig misquito that i practice a lot with just cause its so cheap, then i put 100-200 through my USP after FYI= practice is good but sometimes not practical, shooting in a stand sill position in a AC range isn't practical. Try finding a Practical firing course, where you move and shoot, do speed reloads and have all the elements against you. This is a shit load harder then just standing there and shooting.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.