UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Proper Screenplay Writing?

8/14/07 7:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Senzo Tanaka
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Aug-07

can any of you writers suggest any books that show the "proper" way to write a screenplay? By some weird turn of events I've been charged with writing one and I've never done this before. I'm a sound editor/designer by trade but also have a degree in English. Never thought I'd have to use this ever again... I was looking for books that further discussed how to establish scenes, p.o.v's for camera's, multiple cameras, etc. Books on screenwriting theory would be good, too. How much subliminal thought should be in the scene establishments? Should it be minimal because the character's motivation isn't something that the director has to worry about when he shoots? Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated!
8/18/07 12:04 AM
Pain dont hurt
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Aug-07
"Screenplay" by Syd Field and "Story" by Robert Mckee are the basic mechanical screenwriting books. I think there's another popular one by Lew Hunter, but I haven't read that one. These books will answer many of your formatting/style questions. There are screenwriting software programs that will handle the formatting for you. The industry standard is called Final Draft. http://www.finaldraft.com
8/21/07 5:13 PM
Kneeblock
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Aug-07
My advice is to just write your story with occasional visual cues and then worry about stuff like formating and proper screen lexicon later.  Get the story done first as that's the most important thing.  Start writing!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.