UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Desperate...need help.

8/15/07 8:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Empire
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Aug-07

I chose this forum for the higher percentage of hits i'll get, so please bare w/ me for a while. my mother has serious arthritis and is overweight... she need to exercise, but her arthritis is so bad she can't move around. it's like a catch 22, she has to lose alot of weight to ease the arthritis and load on her joints, but can't move around due to arthritis to lose the weight.... i'm thinking water type exercises in a pool via physical therapy... i'm asking for those who have either been in similar movement disabling injuries or ailments/disease that robs your movement, or know of someone (a mother, father, relative) who has been through this and came out on top feeling better... help me out.
8/16/07 3:35 AM
Jonwell
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Aug-07
Perhaps you should take her to see a rheumatologist. They are the experts with this kind of stuff.
8/16/07 8:34 PM
Empire
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Aug-07
i'm more interested in exercises via physical therapy that others have experienced or know of friends/relatives that have had to find other ways to stay active and do cardio somehow... mind you, walking around the block is not an option...
8/27/07 3:25 AM
Chang
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Aug-07
Hmm..can she do some light movements of the arms? There's lots of light exercises she can do just sitting down, like move the legs up and down, rolling the shoulders, tilting the pelvis, rising the calves, etc. (Like the ones they show you at the airplanes) Hope that helps.
12/8/07 5:48 PM
bradl

Edited: 08-Dec-07
Yea, a pool may be the best method right off the bat. Is she seriously over weight, or just enough that its uncomfortable for her to move ? Normally after a week or 2 of moving around, things start to feel better.
12/9/07 3:41 AM
voorhees

Edited: 09-Dec-07 03:12 PM
edited for drunken ignorance
1/4/08 3:41 AM
JasonE

Edited: 04-Jan-08
Movement is critical for people with arthritis. Movement helps the soft structures within a joint receive nutrition from synovial fluid. Too much inactivity and those structures are more likely to degenerate. Water exercise programs are an excellent way for your wife to start, especially with the extra weight. There may be a clinic or therapeutic center with a warm "therapy pool" she could use. They are very popular and classes are often available. You'll have to do a bit of searching to find out what's available in your area. I use a combination of Circular Strength Training ("Intu-Flow" joint mobility) and Active Isolated Stretching (AIS) to help many arthritis sufferers. This is stuff people can do for themselves, and those who practice most frequently show the most dramatic improvements. One of my training clients went from having "claw hands" with red knuckles to swinging Clubbells in just one month. You and your wife need to move decisively and commit to a long-term plan of regular activity. She may be able to realize some great improvements, but the longer she waits the harder it will become. Good luck! Jason Erickson www.CSTMinnesota.com
10/20/08 4:53 AM
ManOfThePeepHole
1638 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chair yoga, chondroitin and prayers ...good luck Brah

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.