UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Any Phd's in the house?

4/1/08 6:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
asdf
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Apr-08
3rd year physics
4/1/08 10:01 PM
Hollywood Blonde
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Apr-08
3rd year Physics
4/20/08 5:57 PM
eabeam
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 20 2008 12:00A
Officially ABD, but that makes it sound a lot closer than it really is... If I have final orals by the 1st day of Fall quarter, I do not need to pay anymore tuition.

Hoping to finish data collection by end of May, finish writing in June/July (take 5 weeks off from work)... defend by Aug/September.
4/25/08 11:45 PM
dnwsr
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 25 2008 12:00A
ABD in political philosophy. I just passed my comprehensive exams so I'm in the early stages of my dissertation.
4/29/08 8:58 PM
winnidon

Edited: Apr 29 2008 12:00A
PhD Candidate (philosophy)
4/30/08 8:48 AM
eabeam
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 30 2008 12:00A
It is a quick turn around, but if I can get ABD in 2 1/2 years while working a 50 hour/week job, I should be able to work on my dissertation 60+ hours per week when I take time off from my day job. My wife is also taking my son to visit relatives on the west coast for about 2 weeks.

Although I am getting burned out, the prospect of having a life back and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel is extremely motivating.
4/30/08 12:40 PM
bleier
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

winnidon

what are you writing on?

4/30/08 3:23 PM
winnidon

bleier,

My dissertation is in the area of biomedical ethics. I'm currently writing on philosophy of health and then will turn to the ethical implications for health policy decision-making.
5/1/08 2:02 AM
bleier
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: May 1 2008 12:00A

Interesting, I work in heath ethics.  What's the specific topic?

5/8/08 4:05 PM
plan9records

3rd year Medical Physics. Kind of odd to see so many physics PhD students.
5/19/08 12:36 AM
kcbjj
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm about 2 months away from having my PhD in Industrial/Organizational Psychology from Kansas State University.

kcbjj
5/29/08 11:47 PM
thesleeper

"Did you work in the field before your PhD sleeper?"

No, I worked in financials (mutual funds, 401ks, retirement funds). I did that for about 5 yrs and got sick of office life and fucking rebranding meetings.

It helps me with political economy quite a bit. Now that I have taken some regional econ classes and what-not, I am pretty badass when it comes to understanding trade and political economy.

I also taught English in Brazil and studied in Portugal for a semester. My Spanish is recoverable rapidly, but I don't speak it now very well. The big thing with IR now is having a language or three.

The other recommended experience are IOs and the state department/CIA. The CIA is a bit too military for me, but the security freaks here keep trying to convince me that they would pay me a bunch of money as an analyst and put me up in Brazil.
5/29/08 11:51 PM
thesleeper

Edited: 05/30/08 12:10 AM
Speaking of which, I just got a fellowship for a 6 week vacation to Rio or as they call it an intensive language course. The credits don't apply to me, so I am gonna have some fun. That is another important thing in grad school. Your school or a center in it must have MONEY. I came to FIU because it has one of the best Latin American and Caribbean centers in the country. University of Florida and Amherst are also good outside the Ivy league. The LACC center here gets federal funding for Phds (FLAS), I already applied for a fellowship for next year.
6/12/08 9:38 AM
eabeam

Any advice our words of motivation for the ABD?

I am 2 weeks shy of shutting my data collection down, but my tank is seriously running on empty.

If I can get my final orals, (or at least get them close and scheduled) by the first day of UCLA's Fall quarter in mid-september, I don't have to pay anymore tuition.

My classmates are walking this saturday.
6/12/08 9:49 AM
None So Blind
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DO IT - my experience, as well as that of most of my colleagues, is that dissertation defense is MUCH easier than both the thesis proposal and defense as well as the dissertation proposal. By the time you've got it done and are ready to defend it, keep in mind that YOU are the expert on that topic now (or at least that particular study, rest assured they haven't read it 10,000x like you probably have), and while most of your committee may have salient jabs with which to stick you, you would not have gotten this far if it were fatally flawed. Keep in mind they're tired of dealing with your sorry ass and they want you out in the real world where they don't have to worry about you anymore :-P

6/12/08 1:55 PM
kcbjj

My motivation for getting done quickly is that my family is depending on me to finish and get a job. My wife supported us for four years while I enjoyed the high life of graduate school and now it's time to finish up and get on with making money. I'm also a pretty motivated person in general. But, there is pressure to finish - financially. My program also had a bunch of turds who have been in grad school and ABD forever, like over 8 years. I promised myself I wouldn't be like that.
6/12/08 5:19 PM
eabeam

Wow, when you are running on empty.
Two strangers on the internet telling me you man-up works better than I would have guessed.

Thanks guys...
and feel free to harass me until post that I am Dr. Beam.
6/12/08 6:12 PM
bleier

When you get the feeling that all your committee should eat your shit and that they don't deserve to even talk to you about this stuff, you will be ready...(grasshopper)

6/12/08 10:27 PM
None So Blind
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like that approach ^^^ :-)

6/15/08 5:37 PM
Scut Farkus

2nd year Ph.D. student in Financial Economics.
6/15/08 9:05 PM
Jack_Burton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am doing my 2nd grad degree and would like to start working on my PhD next year.

I am surprised how confusing and different the programs can be from one to school to another.

By I did not even start college until I was in my 30's, minus a few classes here and there in the military.

The academic world is a strange place for me.
7/7/08 11:38 AM
CDarwin
764 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yup. I make it a point not to say which field, though. I use the OG as the place where I don't have to be a pretentious know-all in my field (and a hack in all others).

Here I can roam around like an expert (or hack) on all aspects of life, without having to live up to academic standards (and meaningless rituals).

Imo, this is the beauty of the internet. It is the merit of an argument in itself that matters. If it is something cut'n pasted by a pimple faced 13 years old or an expert doesn't matter, because you never know who it is anyway.
9/9/08 7:57 AM
eabeam

Just got the green light to set-up my final orals.
9/9/08 11:39 AM
bleier

Good job man!  What are final orals in your system?  Are you talking about your dissertation defense?  You mentioned you were abd, so I take it it's not your candidacy?
9/9/08 10:56 PM
eabeam

Final dissertation defense.
My chair just approved my last chapter pending some minor edits.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.