UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Any Phd's in the house?

9/10/08 10:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
None So Blind
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't forget to schedule it between 1:00 and 2:00 to take advantage of post-lunch sleepiness....and if they ain't sleepy enough, make sure to provide some really fatty doughnuts for folks to nibble on while listening to you drone on in a monotone designed to encourage nappy-time.

Sleepy committee members do not ask as many questions :-)

Also, put it on a Monday - many folks don't like reviewing stuff over a weekend, and also Monday will have them worrying about all their responsibilities during the week, not focusing tightly on your paper.

(yeah, I know how it sounds - most of my fellow grad students turned into fucking General Patton when it came to strategizing the nuts and bolts of defense time)
9/10/08 1:04 PM
bleier
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mine ended up being five hours, no break. Good luck and congrats, there is nothing to worry about!!!
9/11/08 12:25 AM
eabeam
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff, keep it coming.
9/11/08 12:53 PM
CDarwin
680 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good job!

Hot geek girls (unpolished diamonds, as I call them) dig degrees.
9/26/08 2:01 AM
eabeam
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have my defense 10/2
9/26/08 2:06 AM
bleier
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

don't count on that woman stuff...

kick ass!
9/28/08 3:48 PM
eabeam

Today is my last day to review before Thursday.

I lucked out.

not only did I get the after lunch malaise time period... I have to clear out for a class that has the room after my allotted time, so they cannot run me long.
9/28/08 10:46 PM
eabeam

I only wish that I was not scheduled for two 14-hour days before Thursday.
9/30/08 3:00 PM
None So Blind
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eabeam -  not only did I get the after lunch malaise time period... I have to clear out for a class that has the room after my allotted time, so they cannot run me long.

I only wish that I was not scheduled for two 14-hour days before Thursday.

Excellent - you have limited the time slot , I salute your tactical thinking ;-)

And positive spin - those two days will tire you out so much, you won't be hyped up and super-anxious, you'll just be tired and grouchy, just the right frame of mind to lead to an "I-don't-care-anymore, listen-to-my-shit-and-let's-all-go-home" attitude :-P
10/4/08 11:47 AM
eabeam

Nailed it... I just need to do a final proof and file.
10/4/08 2:35 PM
Hollywood Blonde
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eabeam - Nailed it... I just need to do a final proof and file.

Congrats, Dr. eabeam!
10/5/08 1:44 AM
bleier

Let me be first to say on behalf of the OG...

pics or it didn't happen!

:)

atta go
10/6/08 12:03 PM
None So Blind

Well done!
1/19/09 10:16 AM
kcbjj
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I earlier posted that I was close to getting my PhD. I have it now!!!! I got it back in August and I have a tenure-track job here at Kansas State. I don't know how long I will be here though - I might try to make a move in a couple years.

It's in Industrial & Organizational Psychology, basically business psychology (HR functions, testing, personnel selection, training, motivation, leadership, org. behavior, etc.).
1/19/09 11:48 AM
None So Blind

Congrats!

BTW, do you have to take the EPPP?

I remember being enraged when I took it that, as a clinical psychologist, I had to study for a test that was ~20% I/O psychology :-P  It struck me as asking a surgeon to take the boards that are 20% psychiatry or some such....
1/19/09 5:21 PM
eabeam

No, the Ed.D. was in leadership and policy -- not psych.
1/19/09 9:40 PM
kcbjj
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NSB, If you were asking me, in KS I/O psychologists are not licensed so no...
1/19/09 9:52 PM
None So Blind

Lucky bastids - no licensing *AND* you make more money than the average clinical psych? AND you don't take 3:00 a.m. calls from pseudo-suicidal borderline patients???

*grumbles to self about specializing in wrong field....*

:-P
1/20/09 10:21 AM
eabeam

Yes, but I still have to work in public education.
1/21/09 10:36 PM
thesleeper

Only 4 more years to go.
1/22/09 10:31 PM
bleier

Appreciate them, they may be the best four years of your life! I don't think I've read a book in three years.
1/25/09 6:16 PM
kcbjj

bleier - Appreciate them, they may be the best four years of your life! I don't think I've read a book in three years.

This is for real. Grad school... was a great time for me. Hard as hell, but some of the best years of my life.
1/26/09 11:34 AM
None So Blind

In retrospect, grad school sucked - worked a lot harder, worked longer hours, had to deal with professors with an unbelievably inflated sense of self-importance, and worst of all, was constantly BROKE. Only positive was that I taught undergrad psych classes with TONS of hotties.

In contrast, now I work a comfortable 40 hour week (and I do my CEs and reading, both books and journals, at work and not at home), work with a bunch of professionals who know to keep their egos in check, and make pretty good money.

Early career beats the snot out of grad school - minus the eye candy  ;-)

College, on the other hand - went to class ~15 hours a week, studied a grand total of 10 hours a week max, was broke but didn't really have any bills, and partied my ass off. Living in a frat house at LSU is like kryptonite to one's sense of motivation :-P
1/26/09 2:18 PM
bleier

Depends if it is the real experience or not. Too many people are in grad school now with families, full time jobs, etc. That would ultimately suck ass. I'm talking about being able to have your academic work as sole focus and being able to (having the time to) think about and read whatever you want. That kind of intellectual freedom is irreplaceable. It even makes poverty seem ok at times.
2/22/09 3:52 AM
toshii

yes, biggest mistake of my life!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.