UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Any Phd's in the house?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/26/09 2:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kcbjj
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, I loved it. I love life a lot more now, but it was still a great time for me - personally and professionally.
3/10/09 1:36 AM
Alabama Man
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

None So Blind - Don't forget to schedule it between 1:00 and 2:00 to take advantage of post-lunch sleepiness....and if they ain't sleepy enough, make sure to provide some really fatty doughnuts for folks to nibble on while listening to you drone on in a monotone designed to encourage nappy-time.

Sleepy committee members do not ask as many questions :-)

Also, put it on a Monday - many folks don't like reviewing stuff over a weekend, and also Monday will have them worrying about all their responsibilities during the week, not focusing tightly on your paper.

(yeah, I know how it sounds - most of my fellow grad students turned into fucking General Patton when it came to strategizing the nuts and bolts of defense time)

Very good advice IMO.
12/29/10 9:25 PM
CDarwin
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

check
1/11/11 9:04 PM
Hollywood Blonde
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CDarwin - check

Congrats!
1/11/11 9:06 PM
Hollywood Blonde
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wait . . . a quick perusal of earlier pages in this thread reveals that you had a PhD back in 2008. And here I thought it was a new development!

But congrats anyway! ;)
1/12/11 4:55 AM
crazydave
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've totally changed my topic and am starting again :D
1/12/11 9:48 AM
CDarwin
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hollywood Blonde - Wait . . . a quick perusal of earlier pages in this thread reveals that you had a PhD back in 2008. And here I thought it was a new development!

But congrats anyway! ;)

Thanks anyway, but lol yes I got it in 2003. :)

(I didn't realize this was an old thread and just answered the OP in passing.)
1/12/11 9:49 AM
CDarwin

crazydave - I've totally changed my topic and am starting again :D

To what, if I may ask?
1/17/11 10:15 AM
crazydave
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/20/11 7:37 AM
1/17/11 10:17 AM
crazydave

Edited: 02/02/11 4:22 AM
double.
1/17/11 12:36 PM
CDarwin

Cool.

What is your take on this "classic"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_X_and_theory_Y

I'm not at all in that field, but every now and then I am supposed to have opinions on organizational theory etc. (I then talk out of my ass, and pray people believe I know what I am talking about...)
1/17/11 3:36 PM
crazydave

Hmmm ... anything that is based on Maslows HON work is always going to be a point of contention. I think they are an interesting way of categorising things but as soon as you try to operationalise in a real work structure thats where it starts to unravel.

A lot of my work looks at issues from the interpretivist/social-constructionist paradigm so I take a view of organsiational theory srtaight out of the org culture work of Schien 1985; Organisational Culture and Leadership. I did a masters before starting my phd and theoretical framework combined elements of Schien 1985 and a process based view of his model developed in Hatch 1993; The dynamics of organizational culture. Essentially this looks at culture as a fluid concept which depending on the circumstances can come under the overt control of managers but mostly resides as a high order concept which shapes relationship and power.

If you want the stuff that companies AND academics lap up check out the Schien 1985 which boils down to the "we can change culture but culture can also change us".

Then its ... "hmmm lets think about that ... with some more research funding!"

ha!
3/2/11 7:03 PM
CyborgRoyce
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh just discovered this thread. PhD in Computational Biology here. Hello academics
3/3/11 5:33 AM
crazydave

^ sup buddy!
3/6/11 1:44 AM
dnwsr
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PhD in Political Theory (completed in December of last year). So far it has proven to be nothing more than a moral victory. Hopefully that'll change soon, lol.
3/6/11 2:05 AM
crazydave

^ good luck to you sir!
3/6/11 12:39 PM
CyborgRoyce
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crazydave - ^ sup buddy!

Sup!

And good luck to all of you who are currently doing a PhD. I had a tough time completing mine (can elaborate if anyone wants me to). It's a long, hard road and you may feel like quitting but once it's done you'll feel really good about it.
3/8/11 10:40 AM
crazydave

CyborgRoyce - 
crazydave - ^ sup buddy!

Sup!
And good luck to all of you who are currently doing a PhD. I had a tough time completing mine (can elaborate if anyone wants me to). It's a long, hard road and you may feel like quitting but once it's done you'll feel really good about it.

For sure ... Give us some details!
4/13/11 3:33 AM
DustDevil
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm starting a Ph.D. program in Counseling Psychology this fall. I'll see if this thread is still alive in six years. :)
4/13/11 9:05 AM
CDarwin

DustDevil - I'm starting a Ph.D. program in Counseling Psychology this fall. I'll see if this thread is still alive in six years. :)

Six years is about the average timespan between posts on AcademicGround-threads, so I wouldn't worry about that if I were you.

Good luck, btw.
4/13/11 12:11 PM
DustDevil
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol...good point. And thanks for the luck - I'll need it. I'm moving to another state and starting out my grad program at 36 with three kids because, why not? We're looking forward to the adventure.
4/13/11 1:34 PM
None So Blind
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is your program APA accredited?
4/15/11 12:29 AM
DustDevil

It is. They've had a 100% placement rate with APA accredited internships so far as well. Hopefully that will still be the case when I'm up for internship matching/placement.
4/18/11 12:10 PM
None So Blind
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good deal - it's always sad when I have to interact with students who are from non-accredited programs (when they want info on the internship or post-doc at my site) and I have to tell them they're not eligible.

Match numbers were scary this year....best of luck when you have to jump through that particular flaming hoop.

Any advice/info/goofy stories you want, let me know  ;-)
4/26/11 12:59 AM
crazydave

CDarwin - Six years is about the average timespan between posts on AcademicGround-threads, so I wouldn't worry about that if I were you.

Part of what makes this forum glorious.

:D

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.