UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Any Phd's in the house?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/8/13 5:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mofomike
283 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the final write up at the moment :)

6/29/13 2:14 AM
DustDevil
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Olde Skool thread. Giving this a bump 'cause NSB is a bad motherfucker.

I've had some ups and downs in my program, and there were a couple of points when I didn't think I'd make it through, but I'm in a good place now and am going into my 3rd year of my Counseling Psychology PhD program. NSB's advice has helped a LOT.
6/29/13 9:49 AM
None So Blind
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any time, man!

Glad things are shaking out well. It's hard, *really* hard at times - but just keep slogging away and one day it will have passed. I had maybe 2-3 days in my training where I said to myself, "OK, fuck this place, I should be outta here," but I tried to be patient and persevere, and it worked out OK.

The worst part of my grad school experience was never the difficulty of the material or the workload; it was the assholes who comprised my fellow students and my teachers. Navigate that OK, and you'll manage. And in fact I have learned that people with a clinical focus tend to have much better people skills, while academics can be interpersonal nightmares - even now, I'm credentialed in two hospitals, one with 25+ clinicians and one with 10 academics - I can't stand 9/10 of the academics, and yet I'm cool with 24/25 of the clinicians :-/

I always thought that was a weird 180 from med school, where (at least med school itself, not residency, and perhaps more the first 2-3 years) the material was what was difficult, and people's personalities didn't much come into play. I mean, how can it - if you have 130 people in Gross Anatomy, there's only so much rotten treatment a prof can give each student :-P and you don't have many peers (med school = 100+ a year, while grad school is 6-8 per year, in most cases), so if you run across some pricks in med school, you can always go hang out with someone else.

Keep me posted, I'd be glad to throw my two cents in once you start applying for internship, post-doc, EPPP, all that fun stuff ;-)
8/15/13 10:43 PM
DustDevil
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NSB: MMA mail sent.
8/15/13 11:21 PM
crazydave
283 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

its the final countdown ... 12 weeks to go!

12/18/13 12:45 AM
thesleeper
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the write up. Hopefully defend by September.
1/9/14 3:12 PM
None So Blind
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

None So Blind - Any time, man!

Glad things are shaking out well. It's hard, *really* hard at times - but just keep slogging away and one day it will have passed. I had maybe 2-3 days in my training where I said to myself, "OK, fuck this place, I should be outta here," but I tried to be patient and persevere, and it worked out OK.

The worst part of my grad school experience was never the difficulty of the material or the workload; it was the assholes who comprised my fellow students and my teachers. Navigate that OK, and you'll manage. And in fact I have learned that people with a clinical focus tend to have much better people skills, while academics can be interpersonal nightmares - even now, I'm credentialed in two hospitals, one with 25+ clinicians and one with 10 academics - I can't stand 9/10 of the academics, and yet I'm cool with 24/25 of the clinicians :-/

I always thought that was a weird 180 from med school, where (at least med school itself, not residency, and perhaps more the first 2-3 years) the material was what was difficult, and people's personalities didn't much come into play. I mean, how can it - if you have 130 people in Gross Anatomy, there's only so much rotten treatment a prof can give each student :-P and you don't have many peers (med school = 100+ a year, while grad school is 6-8 per year, in most cases), so if you run across some pricks in med school, you can always go hang out with someone else.

Keep me posted, I'd be glad to throw my two cents in once you start applying for internship, post-doc, EPPP, all that fun stuff ;-)

Kinda poor form to quote myself, but it's relevant - I had an old friend dig me up on Facebook, someone I went to school with.

He and I talked about the old days, and we talked about who we were still friends with.

It was *remarkable* that both of us absolutely could not stand the large majority of students in the 4-5 class years before ours, and yet maybe only 1-2 students total in the 4 years after us. The more we talked about it, the angrier I got - man, I went to school with some raging fuckheads, and as I thought about it, I got mad that my first two years were so miserable essentially from dealing with those cockchewers. :-P

I'm amazed I finished now, I can't believe I didn't punch out some of those asshats or otherwise blow up on them....

Hope everyone else here had better cohorts and fellow students.
2/11/14 7:18 PM
mmaresearchstudy
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

old school thread is old school.
3/10/14 11:05 PM
DustDevil

None So Blind - 
None So Blind - Any time, man!

Kinda poor form to quote myself, but it's relevant - I had an old friend dig me up on Facebook, someone I went to school with.

He and I talked about the old days, and we talked about who we were still friends with.

It was *remarkable* that both of us absolutely could not stand the large majority of students in the 4-5 class years before ours, and yet maybe only 1-2 students total in the 4 years after us. The more we talked about it, the angrier I got - man, I went to school with some raging fuckheads, and as I thought about it, I got mad that my first two years were so miserable essentially from dealing with those cockchewers. :-P

I'm amazed I finished now, I can't believe I didn't punch out some of those asshats or otherwise blow up on them....

Hope everyone else here had better cohorts and fellow students.

Quote away!

That's horrible, my friend. I wouldn't have made it in your shoes.

My biggest complaint is that I don't fit in with the majority of the other folks in my program because I'm quite a bit older than most and come from a different SES than the "norm" (i.e. I grew up in a trailer park). Poor me, right?

Other than that, I can't complain too much.

I think I also got lucky. I've heard some stories about "dysfunctional cohort dynamics" in the crew two above and two below mine. If I was in either of those I don't know how I would have made it through.
3/12/14 9:50 AM
None So Blind

^^ I see that now from the other angle, now that I'm a faculty member - the internship classes that roll through every year are pretty variable. Sometimes they all get along great, all eat lunch together, go out in groups on weekends, etc. - and then some are hypercompetitive and don't even talk to each other in the hallways....

And sorry to say, yeah, the "non-traditional students" often get the short end of the stick. Older, got kids? You clearly don't fit in with the cool kids who came straight from undergrad, LOL.
8/31/14 7:33 PM
GuttyProfessor
518 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im here. I have one.

7 days ago
crazydave

Dr. Crazydave

7 days ago
GuttyProfessor
518 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crazydave -

Dr. Crazydave

Congratulations! What field? Phone Post 3.0

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.