UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Zion National Park (more questions

8/21/07 2:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HODNEY
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Aug-07

So, I'm planning on flying into Vegas at the end of October for a conference.  I thought the wife & I would drive up to Zion Saturday morning and spend the night.   Anyone know anything about this place? 

http://www.zionmountainresort.com/cabin_suites.html

8/21/07 2:04 PM
Xtina
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yes
8/21/07 2:05 PM
HODNEY
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could you elaborate? 
8/21/07 2:06 PM
andre
500 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is this the one in Peru? As I understand it, the authorities destroyed the rock that contained the image of the devil. No need to go now.
8/21/07 2:07 PM
HODNEY

I think your thinking of the Giant Buddahs in Afghanistan.  Peru is still ok.
8/21/07 2:15 PM
HODNEY

Listen you sunsabitches.....should I book this cabin or not? 

Don't make me start flying leg scissoring people!!!!

8/21/07 2:19 PM
nimitivd
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hike the narrows. get there on the first shuttle in the morning to beat the crowd. you'll basically get the canyon to yourself for most of the morning. when you hit the mob on the way back, you'll see the benefits of being first out.
8/21/07 2:22 PM
SOLDAT
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zions is really cool. If you like the outdoors at all then I think you would really enjoy it.
8/21/07 3:00 PM
Dreamer420
634 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zion is in Utah. I've heard it's cool, it's run by Xanterra. www.xanterra.com I worked for that company for several seasons at some of their other properties (Crater Lake, OR, Death Valley, CA and Grand Canyon, AZ) You can probably call them from the number on their website, it should have the info for zion so you can call the front desk and ask any questions you may wish to ask them. Here's the info from their website. Zion National Park Zion Lodge Lodging inside the Park Open year-round Address: Zion National Park PO Box 925 Springdale, Utah 84767 Phone: 435.772.7770 Fax: 435.772.2001 General Inquiry E-mail: info-zion@xanterra.com www.zionlodge.com Reservations Phone: Toll-free within the U.S. 888.29.PARKS (888.297.2757) or Outside the U.S. 303.29.PARKS (303.297.2757) Fax: 303.297.3175 E-mail: reserve-zion@xanterra.com Online reservations Sales Contact: Becki Lewis, Sales & Marketing Manager Address: Utah National Parks 451 North Main Street Cedar City, Utah 84720 Phone: 435.586.9476 Fax: 435.586.7694 E-mail: sales-zion@xanterra.com Retail E-mail: gifts-zion@xanterra.com Jobs E-mail: jobs-zion@xanterra.com Check available jobs and apply online. Xanterra Parks & Resorts acquired The Fred Harvey Company in 1968 and with the acquisition of TW Recreational Services in 1995; we became the largest national and state park concessionaire in the United States. Xanterra South Rim, L.L.C. operates the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. All other properties are operated by Xanterra Parks & Resorts, Inc.
8/21/07 4:21 PM
Nostromo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Aug-07 04:26 PM
If this is the place I'm thinking it is, then it is 20min or so outside of the park. I've driven past it and it looks secluded and nice. Seems more of a "destination" kind of place and not a "place to sleep" sort of thing. I think it is on the east side of the park, which is not built up (ie. you would have to drive a ways to eat out or eat at the resort). Might not be a big deal since the town on the west side of the park isn't huge or anything. I think if you are going to drop some money on the lodging, I suggest just staying at the Zion Lodge (http://www.zionlodge.com/), the one inside the park. It looks nice (never stayed there) and is in an awesome location right in the center of the park. There are really good hikes which start right at the Lodge and it would probably be nice to go directly to your room after a day of hiking. Feel free to email me if you have any other questions. nostromox at hotmail.com
8/22/07 8:07 AM
HODNEY

Edited: 22-Aug-07
Ok...the lodge was sold out for the weekend so I think we are going to mix things up.  The conference ends on Wed so we are going to drive up on Wed Evening then and stay for 2 nights.  I figure it will probably be less croweded on the weekdays. 

I'm really looking forward to it.  Thanks for the help guys. 
8/22/07 9:22 AM
many anchovies
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Aug-07
bring a camera...it's beautiful up there...
11/1/07 11:26 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Nov-07
Its actually a mormon amusement park. LOL! This is probably too late but I live in vegas and go to zion a couple times a year. Beautiful place. Can get a little crowded in the summer. You can't drive your car much past the entrance/camping area, so the best bet is to book a room at the lodge or book a campsite inside the park early. Also there are some bed/breakfast places in springdale which is the town on the south side of the park that you drive through if you're coming from vegas. As for hiking, the cool thing is you just hop on the park bus which will drop you at any of the trailheads. The short hikes are often crowded with tourists, kids and grandmas like you would expect. To get any kind of peace you should go on the longer hikes but of course this requires a faily base fitness level. You know yourself, so choose how far you want to go. FWIW my favorite hike there is to the upper emerald pools. The end of the trail at the top pool is incredible. I know I said get away from tourists and this one is very popular, it is well worth it to see the grotto at the end. Like I said, probably too late, but have fun there and put up some pics.
11/4/07 3:35 PM
HODNEY

Edited: 04-Nov-07
We just got back.  We stayed in the Zion Lodge & did the Upper Emerald Pools on Wed Night.  Cool hike.  I trail ran the Lower Emerald Pools on Friday morning before we left.  It was a lot steeper running up it than I remembered when we were hiking. 

Some pics I took from the trip.

11/4/07 3:36 PM
HODNEY

11/4/07 3:37 PM
HODNEY

2/1/08 1:45 AM
LoganClark
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Feb-08
I haven't been there in a few years. I'm feeling drawn back now.
2/1/08 8:42 PM
Dreamer420
634 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Feb-08
Glad you had fun man. Let me know if you decide to come visit Sequoia National Park. I'm working here now and can probably hook you up.
4/23/08 3:50 PM
Iron Man
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 23 2008 12:00A
Just got back from Zion last week. The watchman campground was full so we ended up camping at the Quality inn ground which was nicer and had showers. I did zion last november and did angel's landing. this time i did the emerald pools, weeping rock and the narrows. we could not go into the narrows because the water was too deep and cold.

after we did bryce for two days and that was cool too. much colder there than zion. and the drive on the 14 to cedar city was awesome too.
8/18/10 2:43 PM
Q_Nine
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just got back from a week in and around Zion. We did some warm-up hikes with Angels, some West Rim and did the Emerald pools.

We were able to run the Narrows from Chamberlains Ranch down to the temple and it was one of the best hikes I've every done.

It actually worked out great for us because it rained enough the day we got there that the shuttles where getting stuck and they actually stopped running. We camped over night in there so we basically had the entire trail to ourselves for about 30 hours. (the upper parts that is, not considering the 2 or 3 miles ppl walk up from Temple)

The rain did present some problems since the flow and water level was nice and high, but it just made it more fun when we had no choice but to swim it out in a few places.

Topped it off by driving down and camping on the North rim of the Grand Canyon.

One hell of a trip!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.