UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Wheel of Time series?

8/21/07 4:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
invalid
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Aug-07

I haven't really read the fantasy genre much - loved the DragonLance chronicles when I was younger. Other than that and Tolkein (which I think is a bit overrated), I've ignored the genre. I was thinking about getting into the WoT series, if nothing more than its size/scope. I've only heard mixed things about it, and wanted the OG's opinion.
8/22/07 5:34 AM
Subadie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Aug-07
Commercial Fantasy Lite. Easy read, with a formulaic approach that while succeeding in providing excitement for those like me with limited attention spans, also makes it difficult to read too much of without feeling that you've already been through it before. I read the first three way back when there were only three, but could not go past that. If you dont like Tolkien though, perhaps the fantasy genre is not for you.
9/7/07 3:28 PM
DoctorLizardo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Sep-07
read the first 6 books. nothing happens in the rest.
9/10/07 7:36 AM
GunFighter

Edited: 10-Sep-07
"If you dont like Tolkien though, perhaps the fantasy genre is not for you." Hmmmm - that was my first thought on reading the original post.....
9/10/07 5:14 PM
breeze

Edited: 10-Sep-07 05:18 PM
9/10/07 7:26 PM
Seul
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Sep-07
I love the beginning of the series, but it does kinda slow down later on. Even still: if you enjoy reading AND you like the first few, its worth working through until some of the later stuff. Give 'em a shot.
9/11/07 4:52 PM
DoctorLizardo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Sep-07
i liked the prequel book that covers when Lan and Moiraine first meet up.
9/11/07 10:14 PM
HULC
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The first 5 books are probably the best fantasy books i've ever read. Thay have great excitement and a plot that is hard to predict where it's going. They also have a wealth of information about the lifestyle and fighting techniques that people of that level of development (basically medieval) would have had, which i found drew me into the story a lot. On the other hand, from book 6 on things slow down a lot, and you have whole pages filled up with descriptions of lace and girls sniffing at each others dresses. But the last few books have begun to get things back on track, so it's not all bad. Give the first book a try and see how you like it.
9/11/07 10:15 PM
invalid
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When you guys say it slows down, do you mean the action or quality of writing?
9/11/07 10:22 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah Doc, New Spring is pretty good and just an example of what a shame books 7+ are. It slows down because the series was never meant to be this long so the material is stretched, new characters added and plotlines that should have been advanced, stall instead. So, it is both the action and quality of writing to which we all refer. Really blows because up to book 6 he was writing an absolute fantasy masterpiece. Mind you, some include book 6 as the beginning of the sucktitude but I really liked it. Hopefully he doesn't die and finishes the damn series soon.
9/11/07 11:20 PM
HULC
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What Lymond said. Basically after book 6 or 7 Jordan realised what a money spinner he was onto and started desperately stretching everything out. So you get whole chapter of minor characters thinking about talking to another minor chracter about something a maid said to her sister three books ago. Ir drags a lot in some places. But the quality of writing and the attention to detail are still there in the important scenes.
9/12/07 4:28 PM
GaydarBlane

Edited: 12-Sep-07
invalid, I've read all 12 books of the WOT series. It really does slow down after book 7 or so. The first few books are fantastic though. It slows down largely because of having 75 different plot lines going at once, so each book advances the plot only a fraction due to having to cover all those plot lines. The last book was an all out crawl. One of my friends stopped reading the series when it got bad. I was able to summarize the last book to him in a few sentences... That bad.
9/12/07 4:29 PM
GaydarBlane

"If you dont like Tolkien though, perhaps the fantasy genre is not for you." Disagree. I don't like Tolkien at all, but I enjoy plenty of fantasy. I started like many with DdragonLance Chronicles and went to things like Sword of Truth, Song of Ice and Fire, Wheel of Time, etc.
9/12/07 4:30 PM
GaydarBlane

BTW, I'd highly recommend Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin. First book is called Game of Thrones. Awaiting book 5 now, and HBO in in pre-production for a TV series about it.
9/12/07 4:50 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do not start a song of fire and ice now if you haven't already done so. Just wait until that jerk off is done writing the whole series. He is turning into RJ #2.
9/12/07 4:52 PM
GaydarBlane

I'd disagree. The series hasn't fallen off yet like WOT, and the writing is entirely different from Jordan. The whole series won't be done for another 5 years though.
9/12/07 6:19 PM
DoctorLizardo

i'm glad to see there's some Ogiers, er OGers, on here that are Wheel of Time fans.
9/12/07 6:24 PM
invalid

I'm going to pick up Game of Thrones because I've heard such good things about it. Fuck Robert Jordan lol
9/12/07 9:21 PM
Lymond

Gaydar, he had to split the last book up geographically because he could not finish the stories for all the different characters. His next book, which you would then think would be almost done, is about 18 months late now. I'm not saying the writing style is similar, because I agree it isn't, but the stretching out is. Like Jordan, he has added extra plotlines and more books than originally intended. If there is a series on which that has had a positive impact, I have yet to read it. So, yes ASoIaF is an awesome read thus far, I'm just very worried about the direction it is heading. Side note, read an update on RJ. Still seriously ill, doctors give a 2 yr life expectancy, but he is hard at work on the last book. It is titled a Memory of Light. Good title, imo, but I can't really understand how it could be anything under 2k pages and not be a letdown with a shitload of loose ends. Sigh, I am such a fucking nerd.
9/12/07 9:33 PM
Jonwell
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As are we all. The universe sucks and is unfair if it kills Jordan before he finishes the story.
9/13/07 7:36 AM
GaydarBlane

Edited: 13-Sep-07
Lymond, I still completely disagree. The series is stretched out by 2 books. It went from 5 to 7... There are already 12 books and a 13th prequel to WOT. The only reason why the last book is the next is because Jordan is fatally ill and wants to finish it off before he dies. Otherwise the series would be longer. The thing will have to be 3000 pages in order to tie up all the plot lines with any level of detail. I'd say that's significantly different.
10/9/07 1:56 AM
IndianaBrandon

Edited: 09-Oct-07
RIP Robert Jordan Now his son will have to finish the WOT.
10/13/07 12:02 AM
garfner
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Oct-07 12:29 AM
Don't read WOT. Got to book 5 or 6 and quit. He creates a great story but I thought every ending sucked in the way that one of the main characters would all of a sudden whip out some sort of all powerfull magic. Song of Ice and Fire is pretty much perfect. As long as the writer can stay alive long enough to finish it.
2/5/08 11:11 AM
rls99

Edited: 05-Feb-08
Song of Fire and Ice. Quite possibly the best fantasy ever written. My only complaint is that it takes him forever to release a new one. Waited for years for Feast for Crows. His excuse, it was too big, had to split into two volumes. Okay, I get that. Now where's #2?
2/5/08 3:01 PM
GaydarBlane

Edited: 05-Feb-08
^ Release date is this year. ^ Only 2 years behind schedule... :/

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.