UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> My first hunt

8/23/07 1:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Willybone
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Aug-07

I've been asking about guns and locations for hunting boar here and got some great input.
Last weekend, I went on the boar hunting trip at the Tioga Hunting Preserve in PA. I had a GREAT time. The hunt was exciting. I got two boar. I had only planned on one, but we had a problem. When we first ran across a group of boar, my friend and I each took a shot that was honestly beyond the range we should've been shooting at and scared the boar away. We then went on to each get a boar, call it a day, and went (what else) gun shopping. But, the preserve called us at the local gun shop and told us to come back. One of us (my buddy it turns out) had winged one of the boar during our first encounter, and we had to track it down and finish it off. I made the kill shot and we agreed to split the meat. I've got 100+lbs of pork in my freezer, although the butchering could've been a lot better.
The food at Tioga was excellent. And everyone there, hunter or staff, was very friendly. I was slightly surprised at the instant camaraderie that all the hunters had. We were handed beers the instant we got in the parking low. Everyone was eager to show off, and sometimes share, gear and guns. Fucking awesome and I'll be hunting again, hopefully soon.

Me in my shiny new gear

My first boar and first required pose

My buddy took his with his Saiga

They look bigger and meaner hanging

Larry was the only guy that weekend who dropped his in one shot, with this sweet 44mag. Nice guy.

Celebratory cigar and Dr. Pepper/Scotch

I didn't want to boil the heads, so I'm burying them for a year
8/26/07 11:34 AM
Willybone
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Aug-07
The meat has been so tasty, my wife is already pushing me into another hunting trip soon. Turkeys maybe this time. But, I'll be doing boar again, too.
8/27/07 9:26 PM
topteam71
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Aug-07
Thats fucking awesome man, I told you that you would have a good time. when i went up in march of 2006 I stalked my hog and took him with my bow. Let me knnow next time u go, b/c I have been dying to get back up their and take another one. http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i242/guttooth71/boarhunt002.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i242/guttooth71/boarhunt007.jpg
9/18/07 1:20 PM
Willybone

Edited: 19-Sep-07 09:24 AM
Cool!

I'll let you know if and when I head back. Between the meat and the story I get to tell, I think I got my money's worth. We had boar chili for dinner last night and my 12yr old step-daughter asked, "When the boar meat is gone, can you go kill another one?"
I nearly cried.
9/19/07 3:55 PM
StrikeAnywhere
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Sep-07
Never been boar hunting...in fact i've only been hunting once(elk), went last year but didn't get anything. Going again end of October...hopefully i get one this time

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.