UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Training with Guns

8/28/07 12:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MDBJJC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Aug-07

The gun debate in an earlier thread had individuals that went to places like Gunsite and Thunder Ranch. I have never been to any of these places, but it seems like a great place to learn valuable skills for self defense. Learning to use rifles/handguns in this fashion is like any martial arts in my layman's opinion. You think these are useful adjuncts to a MMA repertoire? I am of a mind that they are extremely useful tools to anyone's skill set. Useful in the sense certain "real life," self-defense scenarios would necessitate an individual's competence and fluency in this type of martial art. Is BJJ or MMA helpful when an attacker is wielding a knife or a gun? My opinion is that learning how to protect one's self (especially for females who are at a physical disadvantage from their male counterparts) and to be proficient with a gun is a great idea. I shoot at a target standing 10 yards away in an isosceles stance, which seems like a white belt BJJ learning how to shrimp or how to pull someone into a guard. To be masterful/skillful would require some work and dedication on my part in the hands of competent instructors. I took a CCW class and was woefully disappointed. At the end of the class I felt that I was more dangerous to myself than at the beginning of the class. I had a little knowledge about guns after the class which was a lot more than I came with. It was not enough in my opinion, certainly not enough for a novice like myself to feel comfortable carrying a dangerous weapon. I am not the know it all type, but I can see if I had that type of attitude I could extrapolate my little knowledge and make myself more dangerous to myself than to an attacker. Some of the women and men taking the classes seemed that way. Enough rambling...
8/28/07 11:01 AM
Willybone
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Learning to use rifles/handguns in this fashion is like any martial arts in my layman's opinion.

Absolutely. If you really believe in the synergy of martial "cross training", then I don't see a need to start drawing the line at unarmed combat. Saying you'll never need a weapon is like thinking "I just won't go to the ground". It's a limiting mindset and the decision really isn't yours to make beforehand, but will be determined by the circumstances under which you have to defend yourself.
8/28/07 4:46 PM
Aaron Little

Train to FIGHT. Regardless of the situation or tools involved just train to FIGHT. It is important to make sure that you have a really fun time doing it as well.
9/19/07 10:41 PM
GrandpaB

Edited: 19-Sep-07
Your local gun range and/or law enforcement agency would no doubt be able to put you in contact with someone who conducts practical training. There are also some good books available. Massad Ayoob and Jeff Cooper are good authors on the subject. My little manual on mayhem, Strictly Street Stuff, has a short section on fighting with pistols that is excellent IMHO. It will tell you stuff that you are unlikely to learn anywhere else. I must admit that every seminar I've taken and every book I read had some nugget of information that was beneficial. Grandpab
12/24/07 5:50 AM
adeano

Edited: 24-Dec-07
i hesitate in saying it for it seems obvious but noone has said it already... if you really want to learn how to fight with a firearm, join the military. a front line combat arm. im not joking either. you will still have time to train bjj and anything else. your eyes will open up im sure. secure income, free medical and dental. housing. operations... lots of benefits
12/24/07 12:38 PM
SidRon
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Dec-07
I think that that it is unrealistic not to include grappling/striking/bladework into self defense firearms training. Most self defense situations occur at very close ranges and I imagine that there is a low probability that a defender will be able to use a traditional shooting stance without the attacker trying to punch/grapple/stab at them. I would like to see more of a melding of strkiing and grappling techniques with gun and blade work. This would need to involve the use of training blades and training guns of course. Anyway, just my .02.
12/26/07 11:03 AM
Dark Knight
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Dec-07
"if you really want to learn how to fight with a firearm, join the military. a front line combat arm." In the military you learn squad tactics. If you want to put together a gang it might help. I have taken short classes at ranges that do IDPA, I have been shooting for 30 years (Not all combat related) and I learned alot. I bought the gunsight videos after I had live training (with a person right there) What was in the video was great, but if you knew how to apply it, the video wont make sense always. Every state has someone doing classes, take one. BTW a CCW class more a safty class. Safty is first always.
12/27/07 5:19 AM
adeano

Edited: 27-Dec-07
Dark Knight, you are correct, but before that, you learn individual tactics. and throughout ones career, individual tactics and training continues to a higher level through scenario training etc. you continually cycle from individual, squad, platoon, company, battalian etc. tactics. throughout, individual training gets better and better with training and experience

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.