UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> iron hand conditioning for Judo?

8/28/07 4:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kingabiu
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Aug-07

I've heard of kung-fu 'iron hand' conditioning ... I think one traditional form was to drive your hand into a buck of beans over and over, then a bucket of rice, then, sand, then pebbles, etc etc ... while rubbing various herbal ointments in ('jow') .... anyone have experience with that? I wonder if it would be effective to prevent the need for bandages on fingers, as protection from skin damage/abrasion suffered from aggressive gripping?
8/28/07 9:11 PM
WizzleTeats
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Aug-07
I've done iron palm very intensively in the past. It will make your hands very strong, but it can also damage them permanently. Ideally you want your hands to be strong but supple, and without scarring. It's also not something you can learn from a book or video. The training methodology and progression I went through is very specific and requires very strong dit da jow that my teacher had made specificially for that purpose. Training incorrectly with the beans or bag can really fuck up your hands. You're better off working on your grip strength. Sandbags might be a good idea too since the canvas will toughen your hands up and work the hell out of your grip too.
8/29/07 10:27 PM
kingabiu
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Aug-07
Thanks very much, answer I've had yet!
9/7/07 3:20 PM
JesseL

Edited: 07-Sep-07
that comes with wear, your skin gets thick..........if your worried about abrasion during grappling..............dont get into it........stick with something else...............I never got my hand cut up or anything........What are you a hand model or something?
9/13/07 1:07 PM
kingabiu

Edited: 13-Sep-07
Jesse, the reason you don't understand is because you aren't training at a high enough level. When you meet top Judo guys, you'll see that their fingers are very often armoured with tape. Its just a pain in the rear to prep like that; it would be cool to have an 'ironhand' type solution, though unfortunately it doesn't seem I'll get one. Wizzleteats has good ideas.
9/26/07 3:22 PM
JesseL

Edited: 26-Sep-07
Forgive me "Master" (bows) I have seen a few "high loevel" guys with no tape and one wih tape only on one finger.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.