UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> War and Peace

8/28/07 2:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MDBJJC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Aug-07

Anyone read this novel? Is it as good as literary scholars say it is?
9/8/07 2:55 AM
Weasling

Edited: 08-Sep-07
Been a while since I read it but I was impressed with it ... many characters all possessing depth. Several storylines happening simultaneously and I was unable to predict what would happen next. Book takes a long time to get started but remember that the book was written at a time when the pace of life was slower.
9/9/07 5:53 PM
invalid
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Sep-07
It's one of the most amazing books I've ever read. Weasling is correct in that the scope and depth of the novel is incredible. There are so many dynamic characters.. I think everyone should read it. Plus, Natasha is a hottie
1/8/08 11:44 PM
GrandInquisitor
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Jan-08
Reading "War and Peace" is almost an event, because you will need patience to keep going, but the book is so rewarding that once you really get into the heart of the story, you'll be so involved that you will never want to stop. That said, it's still not an easy book to read, outside of the obvious issue of the books size (anyone who says that they can read it in just a few days is either lying or skimming), there is also an amazing complexity to the book and it's one of the wonders of Western literature that Tolstoy is able to keep a huge cast of characters (including characters who are historical figures like Napoleon) relevant and interesting. If you want to read something smaller first, I would recommend "Anna Karenina", which, while also written by Tolstoy, is a much more compact novel and has perhaps the most engaging story and main characters ever. In some ways, you really can't go wrong when it comes to reading Tolstoy's classics...they're ALL great.
2/5/08 11:08 AM
rls99

Edited: 05-Feb-08
Read War and Peace in high school, great read.
2/6/08 7:13 AM
Willybone
413 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Feb-08
It's on the list, along with Moby Dick, of great big books I'd like to say I read all the way through.
I already did the Bible and Finnegan's Wake, and I'm halfway through Ulysses.
2/14/08 10:19 PM
Polaris
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Feb-08
Yeah, I read Karenina and it was damn good. I'll probably try to tackle War And Peace one of these days.
2/15/08 3:16 AM
El Maquina

Edited: 15-Feb-08
I remember reading Moby Dick in middle school. I liked it much more than The Scarlet Letter. That was the most boring book I've ever read.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.