UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Shoulder/Bankart Lesion rehab

8/31/07 8:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Thomas Mitchell
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Aug-07

I had my shoulder dislocated at judo 7 weeks ago and have had it come out twice since then and the doc thinks I might have a bankart lesion (MRI will confirm early next week) but no rotator cuff damage. Anybody has any experience with the surgery or rehab?
8/31/07 11:27 PM
MarcG

hey man i can relate. i had shoulder dislocations and tore the labrum. i was young when it happened and the doc wanted to be conservative and rehab it with no surgery.this was a mistake, although i was able to come back to wrestling, judo , grappling, it always had problems and was never fully repaired. get it taken care of by a reputable doc. take ur time with rehab, and then after pt get into a strength training regimen that will aid and keep progressing ur comeback. shoulder injuries are horrible but they can be dealt with. i just finally had my surgery and they did a full shoulder reconstruction with a slap lesion repair. i did four months of pt and now im with agreat strength trainer whos keeeping me going. ill be able to wrestle with in a nother month or so , so keep ur head up
8/31/07 11:28 PM
MarcG

also man if u have any other questions or need advice leme kno ive been dealing with shoulder injuries for three years now and i can let u kno what worked for me and what didnt.
9/1/07 11:35 AM
Thomas Mitchell

Edited: 01-Sep-07
Thanks man - I appreciate it. I never had any problems in the last 10 years of judo but dislocated it in matwork one day getting swept by a heavy weight... not a pleasant experience!
9/11/07 9:11 PM
roc311

Edited: 11-Sep-07
Hey MarcG, does you shoulder injuries involve any torn cartilage? If so any advice on what to do or anything that helped with this type of injury. Thanks
9/12/07 8:58 AM
Charles T Rose
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Sep-07
I had the same injury and probably had 15 + subluxations....I opted not to have surgery and am very happy and my shoulder is fine now.
9/12/07 11:26 PM
roc311

Edited: 12-Sep-07
TTT
9/14/07 8:40 AM
Thomas Mitchell

Edited: 14-Sep-07
They did an MRI where they inject dye into the joint and confirmed a tear to the labrum and told me it would keep coming out unless I had surgery - so I'm going in a week from today and will be out 4-6 months (!).
9/28/07 2:48 PM
MarcG

Edited: 28-Sep-07
hey roc i believe ur meaning the labrum cause it is the major ring of cartilage in the shoulder joint. if so i had a completely torn labrum which was repaired by a surgery. If ur labrum is torn and u r competing id get it repaired .any other questions leme kno man
9/29/07 11:53 AM
Thomas Mitchell

Edited: 29-Sep-07
Hey guys - have the arthroscopic surgery last friday and got the stitches out yesterday (3 each on the front 2 incisions, 1 on the back). Not too painful... they had my arm numb for 4 days afterwards and I can't move it very much (sling for 3 weeks). So far I would say: It sucks, but not as much as I thought...
10/9/07 10:53 PM
roc311

Edited: 09-Oct-07
Hey Marc, thanks for the reply. According to my doc I chipped a piece of bone in my shoulder which torn the cartilage. I didn't tear any of the ligaments or tendons. I'm going to the doc soon to see about a review of where I'm at. On a side note when you injured your shoulder did you hear cracking sounds when you moved it certain ways? Thanks
10/15/07 2:16 AM
mike willus

Edited: 15-Oct-07
I had this same procedure in 2001. The surgery lasted for about 3 years then i had a new incident and another dislocation...since then, its been subluxing/dislocating again. The odd thing is the surgery seems to still be marginaly effective, as its definitly not as bad as it was previously. My advice, and i am dead serious....serious as a fucking heart attack is: Dont do anything the doctors dont tell you for the first 3-5 months. After this time, you need to spend an additional period of 4-6 months doing heavy lifting. IMHO, you really need to get some heavy muscle around that shoulder to protect it. Dont forget to do your small weight rotator cuff exercises as well. The key here is dont rush things...honestly i did, and i am paying for it and probably need another surgery.
10/16/07 6:49 PM
roc311

Edited: 16-Oct-07
Good luck with your shoulder injuries guys, I'm going back to see my doc for a checkup.
10/17/07 5:47 PM
Thomas Mitchell

Edited: 17-Oct-07
Its been 4 weeks. The stitches came out at 1 week - and I got out of the sling the 3rd week - which was awesome. The sling sucks. They told me I wasn't suppose to drive in it because of liability issues (driving handicapped?) but after taking a week off work I started driving in (with my sling off). Right now I have 3 weeks of home exercises to increase range of motion (using a pulley to raise the arm and a stick to work it side to side). Overall feels decent...
10/27/07 6:22 PM
JohnZorn

Edited: 27-Oct-07
Charles T Rose, what did you do to get your shoulder back 100% if you didnt do surgery? I'd be curious cause I have shoulder problems (subluxes from a wrestling accident) and the mri revealed nothing, so I don't want to have surgery if they don't even know whats up...
10/29/07 7:11 AM
Charles T Rose
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Oct-07
When I went to the Dr he started me on pre hab and set a date for surgery which I wasnt keen on but felt my shoulder was in rough shape.I responded so well to the PT that I opted not to have surgery. Over the next few years my back pain grew worse and worse to the point that I was now in constant pain with muscle spasms on a regular basis that incapacitated me.I had knots all over my back and my collar bones were very mis-aligned.I also developed elbow tendinitis. I have been doing programs from www.solution4pain.com to get my body fixed at the root of the problem and not only is my shoulder fine but my whole body is in much better shape from it. The exercises my PT gave me were only for my shoulder and just served as a temporary patch until my back and elbows broke down from taking the stress off my shoulder.
2/12/08 3:22 PM
Thomas Mitchell

Edited: 12-Feb-08
Its been around 5 months since surgery and I'm getting back in shape now. Basically did nothing for 3 weeks after surgery and was in a sling. Then 3 weeks of rehab (2-3x a week) around improving range of motion. Then 4 weeks of strengthening. Then they sent me home to work on it ("Lift weights"). Overall not too bad - I actually enjoyed rehab - it was like a safe way to workout and was better than nothing. I went up 10 lbs though in the mean time. I got back to judo at 4 months and just did light stuff to try to get my conditioning back - along with running regularly. I took falls last week and expect to be doing light sparring in another month. Shoulder feels ok - still a little tight in some overhead movements but range of motion is 100%.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.