UnderGround Forums

NHLGround >> Team most likely to breakout 07-08

8/31/07 3:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
goeb
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Aug-07

Gotta go with Florida. I think if Luongo stayed they would've taken the division. Some of the best young players in the league, they got Vokoun, and their young players like Horton, Bouwmeester, Weiss, Bryan Allen, Olesz, etc. should put them into a 5th or 6th seed in 07-08.
8/31/07 6:40 PM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Aug-07
Philly. Finally they have a real GM (who now knows he's the fulltime GM)who has gathered quite the stable of great young talent. They won't be challenging for the cup imo, but will surprise a lot of teams this year and do well in the standings.
9/8/07 8:20 PM
metrocksncn
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Sep-07
I am going with the Pens establishing themselves as legit cup contenders this year. I say they make the eastern conference finals.
9/9/07 4:47 PM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Sep-07
Pens are pretty much expected to be a contender out east for sure. Scary amount of young talent.
9/9/07 8:27 PM
goeb
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

don't mean to be a smartass but technically the Pens already brokeout last season. They are a possible pick to win the atlantic.
9/9/07 10:54 PM
R-Mon

Columbus.
9/10/07 6:24 PM
goeb

Edited: 10-Sep-07
lol, columbus has been popular one for the past two seasons. Maybe this could be the year. My full breakout list, and I'll keep track of this so i can apologize when they don't breakout, is... Florida, st. Louis, and Montreal. Teams I think that will disappoint the so called experts: Philly, Calgary (which i picked last season), and New York rangers.
9/11/07 6:14 PM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 11-Sep-07
How can Philly disappoint? they got what 54 points last year? Chicago is a year or more likely two away from breaking out as well.
9/11/07 9:39 PM
goeb

Edited: 11-Sep-07
Philly can still disappoint, i don't talk about teams disappointing compared to last season these days. It's about where most writers and so called experts have ranked them. Most say they are a playoff team, I think that notion will be disappointing for most writers. For instance Columbus was the so called sleeper team last season, they finished in a disappointing fashion even though they were still a lower-echelon team the season before. After bringing in timmonen, Lupul, J. Smith, Hartnell, Biron ( i know brought in at trade deadline , but still..) and Briere, you don't think it would be a disappointment if they finished lets say 12th or worst in the conference? The majority would.
9/12/07 6:39 PM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 12-Sep-07
True enough. I still think they're gonna do well and at worst sneak into the playoffs. Their young talent should be stepping up about this season.
9/28/07 11:19 AM
Stryfer

Edited: 28-Sep-07
Toronto!! With the addition of Toskala, Leafs have got one of the better 1-2 combinations in the league with Vesa and Razor in net. Granted, in his exhibition starts Toskala was scored on the first shot of each game but I'm confident he will be ready when the regular season starts. As for Raycroft, playing almost all of the games last season had to take a toll on him, thus resulting in some inconsistency but with games being split more between the 2 goalies now, I think he'll be back in form like he was when he won the Calder trophy, especially since the competition for playing time is much stiffer this time around. It's a shame Wellwood will be out for a while because of surgery, as I think the leafs have a solid offensive group if they remain healthy. Not great, but solid. They were one of the top teams in scoring last season even with injuries to key players throughout the season, and the addition of Jason Blake this year doesn't hurt either. Not saying he'll have another 40 goal season but he's a headache to any opponent he faces and I think he'll do well on Sundin's wing. Defensively they have the potential to be one of the best in the league if they can learn how to play as a unit cohesively and consistently... Kaberle, McCabe and Kubina are all top level players and they have younger guys like Colaiacovo and White who have a lot of potential. Yeah yeah the leafs didn't make the playoffs 2 years in a row, but they made the right moves this off-season and if they can keep people healthy, watch out!!
9/28/07 1:09 PM
Mark1

Edited: 28-Sep-07
Oh great, another dilusional leaves fan. Mark
9/29/07 10:31 PM
TorontoMike

Edited: 29-Sep-07
Los Angeles Kings will surprise this year.
10/8/07 3:01 PM
LordZaj

Edited: 08-Oct-07
Dallas Stars.........they're key players look healthy, and this will be the year they dont go out in the first round of the playoffs.  The Cup is coming back to Big D.
10/9/07 1:58 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 09-Oct-07
Teams that will likely improve the most = LA, Philly, St Louis.
10/9/07 1:20 PM
PR
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Way to go out on a limb there Spanky and just choose the shittiest teams from last year lol.
10/9/07 2:57 PM
insaneshane

dont forget the beloved Oilers!
10/9/07 6:32 PM
Spankenstyne

Hey I left out the Oil, Panthers & Jackets. lol
10/10/07 11:26 AM
Mark1

Edited: 10-Oct-07
lol @ spank's sandbagging. Mark
10/31/07 8:00 PM
R-Mon

Edited: 31-Oct-07
I already said Columbus. Way to steal an idea.
11/3/07 4:41 AM
PR
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Nov-07
Definitely isnt going to be the Canucks. They look bad, and now injuries have hit them hard.
11/3/07 9:06 AM
goeb

Edited: 03-Nov-07
Canucks weren't too good at the beginning of last seaosn too. I wouldn't be surprised if they turned it aorund, but they are actually gonna need Naslund's help this time cause they cannot replace Salo and Bieksa. Also so far, some of my brekaout teams haven't been anything worth bragging about...yet. Florida i still think will get into the playoffs, st. Louis and habs are doing alright so far. My disappointments...well Philly has proved me wrong so far as the maturation of richards and carter has helped propel them along with the addition of brier and of course Biron. Calgary has been ok, but they just keep getting worse defensively and I still see a repeat of last season. Also the rangers, well they are playing better than i thought they would but still a disappointment. Grea tmove signing Gomez Sather, Could've saved $6 million and kept Cullen (Rangers loss = Carolina's gain)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.