Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Revolver of Reason
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Sep-07
the ugly
9/2/07 9:54 PM
Zoso
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Sep-07
Well my wife got her masters online and I am getting mine online but both are via traditional universities that offer certain programs online. My MBA will be from Murray State University. I have never looked into a ton of online bachelor's but there is a ton of master's programs out there...
9/6/07 12:06 PM
GotchGracie

Edited: 06-Sep-07
avoid schools like University of Phoenix, you can most likely take many of the same courses online through a 'proper' university for a fraction of the cost.
9/6/07 10:26 PM
sepe

Edited: 06-Sep-07
there are many degrees you can get through Indiana State without ever stepping foot on campus. they set the program up with out of staters and people that live in other countries in mind
9/7/07 9:58 AM
TapoutRookie
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Sep-07
NAU in Flagstaff,AZ has some great online classes. I have taken several classes online and have found them to be alot harder though. Taking Algebra and not having an instructor to talk to all the time is rough.
9/9/07 6:13 PM
Kneeblock
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Sep-07

I'm planning to enroll in Empire State College in the spring, I hope.

It's a State University of NY, so it's legit.

10/2/07 6:56 PM
Kona Silat
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Oct-07
LOL @ U of P being legit
11/29/07 2:25 PM
subjitsu
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Nov-07
Online degrees are not going anywhere. They are spreading at a rapid rate. More and more traditional colleges are offering them. The snobs of academia hate it. But it turns out a lot of these "not-for-profit" colleges enjoy the increases in revenue. I would look for something from a traditional school, simply because you now have that option. There were fewer options ten years ago. I think there are close to 40 AACSB-accredited online MBAs in the US. That number will increase.
12/3/07 12:50 AM
subjitsu
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Dec-07 10:03 AM
"And believe it or not, people actually fail. Not everyone passes the classes. " The fact that it so easy to get into the program is probably the reason people fail. That will actually hinder the school's chances of ever having an AACSB-accredited MBA program because AACSB likes a low dropout rate. "Personally, I'd say that the school's network is far more valuable than the classroom instruction." I have a rolodex of VPs, CEOs, and entrepreneurs in my industry that I have gotten to know over the years. That fact alone has always made me skeptical of "the network." But then again none of them have Ivy League MBAs, so maybe they are not in "the network" either. "One thing to note though is that most executive level jobs aren't posted on job boards. They are generally filled via word of mouth." That is very true, but unfortunately they are not always looking for an Ivy League MBA. Less than 50% of fortune 500 CEOs even have MBAs. I think only about 10 or 11% have MBAs from Ivy League schools. An Ivy League MBA will get you more money than the next guy in your first job out of school. You will probably never find yourself on the unemployment line for very long either. Those are good benefits. But once you get your job, you are on your own. Hard work, sharp thinking skills, and an attractive personality is the cream that rises to the top, with or without a Harvard MBA.
12/4/07 11:34 AM
subjitsu

Edited: 04-Dec-07
Ivy league was really just a side note. Bottom line is most CEOs of fortune 500 companies do not have MBAs, period. So, once you get to the upper executive levels, the MBA is not weighed as heavily as it is in your first job out of school. Instead they look more closely at your professional reputation. In addition, who is to say that these CEOs with MBAs would not have succeeded without them? I mean people who get into the selective programs are obviously driven individuals.
12/5/07 12:37 PM
subjitsu

Edited: 05-Dec-07
I think that MBAs can land better jobs starting out of the gate. But I think that over time, the value of the degree wanes. There comes a point when your professional reputation matters more than the degree you got thirty years ago.
8/5/08 7:48 PM
KOArtist
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I work in the online division of a traditional university, and the online portion of the school is blowing up lately...it's the only way busy working adults can get or finish their degree without missing work.

Plus gas prices are ridiculous right now!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.