UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Opinions on Rem 700p

9/12/07 12:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Office Assassin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Sep-07 12:14 PM

I haven't fired a gun since I was 14. So if my questions are retarded I'm sorry. I want to get a decent rifle for long range target shooting. I was thinking of getting a Remington 700p LTR and a Leopold scope to go along. Is this a decent factory production rifle? Pros/cons What cartridge/chamber (.308,wum, etc.) would you recommend? Any other rifles I should consider?
11/10/08 9:02 AM
Willybone
376 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol
11/13/08 11:54 AM
wheeels
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What do you consider 'long range' ?

If a .308 will suffice, definitely stay with that cartridge as you have a large selection of QUALITY brass (or match grade factory ammo if you don't reload).

I almost bought a 700p in 300rum last year for a long range hunting rig, but went with a Savage in 300wm and I'm extremely glad I did given the utter inefficiency of the RUM cartridge and more importantly the fact that you're stuck with Remington brass.. which is some of the poorest quality brass made, imo.

I'd highly recommend getting the 700 5R Milspec over the 700p

http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/Rem_M700_StainlessSpecial5RMilspec.asp

..it's quite accurate out of the box.
11/17/08 10:51 AM
hotshot123
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

agree with wheels....long range to me means that a .308 aint going to cut it.....aslo are you shooting targets or water buffalo?? you can get a certain cartridge to shoot really good at long range but it might not have enuf power to kill a rat....

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.