UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Start over or raise my grades?

9/14/07 3:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
D3structo
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Sep-07

I started college at Cal state Fullerton but ended up flunking out of there at 20 years old with 28 completed units and a 1.43 GPA. Since then I've started taking classes at the local community college and doing pretty well, Im 25 now BTW. Anyways, I was wondering if it would be a better idea to just start over and treat school as if I had never attended CSUF and try to tranfer to another 4 year university. Would the grades I recieve at CSUF follow me around or would I be able to treat it as if I had never attended the school. Bringing up my GPA is going to be a pain in the ass and I think it would be better/easier just to start fresh at a community college, my only concern is if the unit and GPA I earned at CSUF would still follow me. What do you guys think.
9/14/07 9:48 PM
FiatLux
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The chances are pretty good that if you try to hide bad grades someone might find out. Also, to actually "start fresh" you would have to lie about attending Cal State Fullerton on any application to a 4 year school (thus allowing any school to invalidate its offer of admission if you get that far or simply rejecting you outright). In most cases, if you're honest, have a decent reason for why you failed out of school previously, and have shown potential to be a serious student; you'll likely get a second chance. If you're dishonest in an attempt to get into school without revealing all your grades, and you get caught, it would likely be the end of you college career.
9/14/07 11:21 PM
Jonwell
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have 4 F's from CSULB, from when I was 18 and didn't want to go to school. Now I'm 26 and just transferred to UCSC for physics. I got IGETC (general ed) certified and that seems to have been the biggest deal. If you own up to your failure in your essays I'm sure they understand. Lying is risky, like you said. Not worth it.
9/26/07 2:31 AM
hakirra

Edited: 26-Sep-07
D3structo, just do well from here on and you'll be fine. If you acheive a high gpa at the community college you will have proved yourself and adcoms at the university you apply to will weight classes you took recently higher than the early ones. I went to a state college got put on academic probation, did really badly my first year and after I finished an AA I got accepted to a top university and am doing my MA in finance now. So don't worry too much about the former grades just do exceptionally well now.
9/27/07 6:03 PM
Zoso
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Sep-07
It isn't that hard to correct bad grades. I flunked out after a year in college(I only passed freshman orientation and had like 24 hours of failed classes for a 0.0 GPA). I went back at 22. I graduated with 2 F's still on my transcript. It dropped by GPA from a 2.96 to a 2.76(overall). I could have gotten rid of those F's and finished above a 3.0. It really didn't matter that much. As long as it isn't a bunch of off the wall classes you will likely retake the majority as part of whatever degree program you are interested in. The only class I had to retake was a World Civilizations class that I took as part of the few hours of electives I was allowed as part of my degree.
9/28/07 4:28 AM
hakirra

Edited: 28-Sep-07
Good point Zoso. The classes you failed and have to retake will redeem you if you do well in them the second time.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.