UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Books you dont use

9/14/07 5:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Polaris
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Sep-07

Anyone ever have this? It's happened to me before, but in the past the books that rarely, if ever, were used didn't cost much. I have a class this semester where we had to buy a shrink-wrapped package that contained only two THIN PAPERBACK books in it for $150 (The biggest rip-off I've experienced w/ college books, which is ofcourse saying alot). I haven't used them at all yet and it's not really looking like they'll be needed, but ofcourse I could be wrong. I figure if I ask the prof. if we actually need them he would undoubtedly say yes. I was gonna ask my TA this week, but forgot and the deadline for refunds is approaching. Basically I'm just ranting. QUIT TELLING US TO BUY EXPENSIVE ASS BOOKS IF WE ARE NEVER GOING TO USE THEM!!!
9/14/07 11:19 PM
Jonwell
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I'm taking an intro class (which I do because I have way too much general ed finished :p) I generally don't buy the book, because the information isn't so specialized that I can't just look it up on the interwebs.
9/14/07 11:59 PM
FiatLux
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've returned many books unopened over the years. The problem is not simply that books cost so much, but that people can pass classes, get good grades, and actually learn the material without reading hundreds and hundreds of pages. What needs to be questioned is the role of high volume reading as the unchallenged champion of education. If you think about the burned of recommending books, it's fairly serious when you realize you're not telling someone just what to read, but also what not to read (all while taking up large amounts of people's time).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.